Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    There’s no need to speculate about the birth of the home license. Untangle told us why the license was created.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=KILmKRNHLYA
    So they were targeting IT professionals that want to run untangle at Home per the video around the 5 minute mark. Consistent with my guess. It is obvious they aren't targeting consumers, but maybe someday! I think us prosumers will benefit from attention to the consumer market which is huge.

Untangle Ninja

They were specifically supporting professionals already running the product in a business environment who “for a long time” had wanted to use the same product at home. That’s not exactly the scenario you described, unless I’m misunderstanding.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    They were specifically supporting professionals already running the product in a business environment who “for a long time” had wanted to use the same product at home. That’s not exactly the scenario you described, unless I’m misunderstanding.
    It really doesn't matter, but clarifying my point was "IT Professionals," not the average consumer. I don't think they knew/know who they are targeting with the HomePro license and even the slide, at 5:30, says "Who? Enthusiast, IT Pros, anyone who wants an alternative to what their Wi-Fi router can provider." Not a very consumer friendly app for your average consumer. For example the instructions are completely lacking for Centurylink FTTH PPPOE. you have to know to disable the wan and create a VLAN and bridge. Unifi you can add PPPOE inline and same for Firewalla. How many consumers would know to disable wan and add a vlan? You can't even do it in the wizard which is unacceptable for a consumer market.

My entire block has CL FTTH as it is $60 a month for symmetrical gigabit with no bandwidth limits. Cox is $150 for 1gb/35. So EERO, Unifi, Firewalla out of the box straight forward, untangle takes understanding how to create a VLAN. Consumer needs are the not the same as watered down enterprise. So I think the pricing is not going to fly as demonstrated by >95% of the comments over the last few days.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by drmilo View Post
    …even the slide, at 5:30, says "Who? Enthusiast, IT Pros, anyone who wants an alternative to what their Wi-Fi router can provider."
    That is a valid point. They weren’t attempting to limit the reach of the original home license to just those using the product professionally.

Untanglit

I understand the move to increase the price they arent a charity, you have a choice, I will be plugging in my OPNSense build that I have laying around and testing it with Sensi for the next month until my Subscription is due for renewal on the 27th of December.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Farfalha View Post
    but the least they could do was keep the same Home as before and do a Home plus with the stuff some people asked. Guess what? Everyone would be fine with that...
    Couldn't agree more
    donhwyo and jlficken like this.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by soldier View Post
    Couldn't agree more
    Agree 100% vs creating new consumer and prosumer offering. I have spent time researching Sensei today and very impressive. I'm not sure I want to start over after only 2 months on Untangle. Maybe they will have a BlackFriday sell that will discount the upgrade to $150 for current users!

Master Untangler

Question

So what have I missed about Sensei? From what I can see, to get a similar set of features to Untangle you need to be paying $9.99 a month and even then, that's a 100 device limit. This is what made me choose HomePro in the 1st place... Any of the *sense offerings plus what you needed to pay to get similar features would cost you more than $50/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    So what have I missed about Sensei? From what I can see, to get a similar set of features to Untangle you need to be paying $9.99 a month and even then, that's a 100 device limit. This is what made me choose HomePro in the 1st place... Any of the *sense offerings plus what you needed to pay to get similar features would cost you more than $50/yr.
    You're not missing anything, people are being irrational. Or, they're OK with the presets you get with the "free" package. Free Sensei is crippleware.

But, it still something everyone has to do because the combination of features breaks down a bit differently, and it may fit better in many cases.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bollar View Post
    Thank you for offering this. I'm generally fine to support Untangle at this new pricing since it seems to have sufficient value, but:

- Untangle should have honored the original Home (not Home Pro) license from 2016 and included all of the modules in the complete license package through the license period. My license expires in 2021 and I'm annoyed that I don't have access to these modules without buying a new license -- that wasn't what we were promised.

As of now, the "Complete Package" is available for home for $50/year.
    You can buy a whole 5-year sub for just $200 - the cost of a new AC wifi router! That is less than your latte each month. That's the full package including *all* functionality. However, Its *only* available for home non-commercial use.

- Do we have any assurance that Untangle won't offer additional modules that won't be included in the "Home Protect Plus" package?

- NEVER MIND. I see this bullet now. I'll need Home Protect Plus, so 150 is probably reasonable.
    Code:
    Is there documentation on device limits? If it's the same process that we currently have, I'm fine with that. According to NGFW, I have ~ 60 active devices at home and I assume that will increase as I add IOT devices.
    Again, I don't have a problem with fair pricing and good value, but I hate having terms change on licenses I have purchased.
    I don't believe it's legal for terms to change on a license you already purchased. I would definitely take this up with support. If conditions have changed on your existing license, most state laws either mean you must be grandfathered, or be able to opt out of the changes and receive a refund.

Have you found that Untangle already rolled your features back on existing licenses? I have not on my current one-year license.
    Bollar likes this.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast