Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Isitpluggedin View Post
    As a home user I am grateful that untangle is offering their product to us at all. I feel some of us home users need to keep that in prospective. Its a PITA dealing with us, IOT devices etc... this product is meant for a business environment. Untangle gets little to nothing out of helping secure our homes.
    To be very clear, Untangle does get one thing.

It gets the technicians of partners using Untangle at home and keeping up on it, which leads to partners retaining Untangle as a vendor, and purchasing their equipment because techs keep their ability to support said product current. And the business licenses Untangle gets from partners are at full price.

Now, whether anyone here who is a partner (I am, but I'm less familiar with the partner programs, as I'm not on that side) could tell me whether there's a Partner option different than the Home levels of subscriptions for technicians of Untangle partners, that I don't know. However, if they do not, perhaps it is time for Untangle to have a private "Partner Pricing" for employees of an official Untangle Partner, and separate this category off. That way, Untangle can have prices for enthusiasts (Home) while still having pricing for those that actively promote and resell their product (Partner).
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 11-22-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Untanglit

My current license is not homepro it is home complete - which is .. according to heather slated to be EOL - this is what I base my argument on and what I have a problem with.

Again i stand by my criticism and complaint here for myself and all other home complete users who are now seemingly going to be left out in the cold here or have to pay a 3x ransom to continue to operate the same as before - now with new limitations.

I have contacted sales and they said that this was not happening and that my subscription would continue as long as it was current - however somewhere someone along the line either knows something that the other doesnít or Iím not sure but it is still my hope that untangle allows the early backers and loyal customers on this plan to remain -
    Last edited by Cferra; 11-22-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Untanglit

I wouldn't mind even less functionality on the cheaper package, BUT THEY REMOVED WAN BALANCER............. you can't just remove the vlan capabilities

I'd settle for app control, web filter, bandwidth control, tunnel vpn.
    I'd pay 50 for that, even with a 50 device limit.

Now i'm still on the old license, I'm not swapping to this new one unless forced, actually I can't really dish out 150 a year for the extra functionalty, just to keep my vlans intact.
    I'd probably revert to OPnsense again, which is actually still running here as my primary firewall. Untangle in bridge.

However you who threathen a move to pfsense (which is a step down for sure) and OPNsense (less bad). You're gonna come crawling back. Untangle is just that much better, once you get the hang of it.

"We want wireguard"... guys, it's free. Just get the server on a separate device, or on a VM and host it yourself... it's not much harder than the PF/OPNsense setups.

I was on Opnsense + Sensei before. When reading up everything i could on Sensei (use google translate for some pages ) i was not too sure i'd want to give them all my data. However some of this information is shared by... you guessed it, netgate. AVOID NETGATE.

For me the TunnelVPN and tagging functionality is awesome, I'd have trouble going back to OPNsense after running untangle now for half a year. But at the same time the HomeProPlus is too much of things I don't need.

Threat Prevention has blocked a total of 0 sessions since i started my trial, and without SSL inspection the virus blocker won't do too much for me either.

Really hope they change the basic license or offer a medium one for 75-100.
    I'd hate to leave.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Cferra View Post
    I have contacted sales and they said that this was not happening and that my subscription would continue as long as it was current - however somewhere someone along the line either knows something that the other doesnít or Iím not sure but it is still my hope that untangle allows the early backers and loyal customers on this plan to remain -
    Thank you for contacting sales. Their response is interesting.

Heather is Senior Vice President of Product & Marketing, so without intending any disrespect to the sales staff, her statements are at the top of the rules list, so to speak.

Even so, I donít blame you at all for holding on to hope. Who knows?

Untanglit

After testing Opnsense + Sensi for last 12 hours or so it's absolutely not a replacement for Untangle I just realised how easy everything is in Untangle and why I stopped using Pfsense/Opnsense...

Quote Originally Posted by ccdmnk View Post
    I wouldn't mind even less functionality on the cheaper package, BUT THEY REMOVED WAN BALANCER............. you can't just remove the vlan capabilities

Now i'm still on the old license, I'm not swapping to this new one unless forced, actually I can't really dish out 150 a year for the extra functionalty, just to keep my vlans intact.
    I'd probably revert to OPnsense again, which is actually still running here as my primary firewall. Untangle in bridge.

However you who threathen a move to pfsense (which is a step down for sure) and OPNsense (less bad). You're gonna come crawling back. Untangle is just that much better, once you get the hang of it.

"We want wireguard"... guys, it's free. Just get the server on a separate device, or on a VM and host it yourself... it's not much harder than the PF/OPNsense setups.

I was on Opnsense + Sensei before. When reading up everything i could on Sensei (use google translate for some pages ) i was not too sure i'd want to give them all my data. However some of this information is shared by... you guessed it, netgate. AVOID NETGATE.

For me the TunnelVPN and tagging functionality is awesome, I'd have trouble going back to OPNsense after running untangle now for half a year. But at the same time the HomeProPlus is too much of things I don't need.

Threat Prevention has blocked a total of 0 sessions since i started my trial, and without SSL inspection the virus blocker won't do too much for me either.

Really hope they change the basic license or offer a medium one for 75-100.
    I'd hate to leave.
    Where do you see that they have access to all your data? And why do you need google translate for any of the pages? Sunny valley is a us based company and the entire site is in English.

They key thing for me what I would loose going to any of the competition is the reporting. No other firewall gives me the comprehensive reporting Untangle gives me. Especially out of the box. The insight that gives me alone gives me more protection then any tool.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by The_Istar View Post
    Where do you see that they have access to all your data? And why do you need google translate for any of the pages? Sunny valley is a us based company and the entire site is in English.

They key thing for me what I would loose going to any of the competition is the reporting. No other firewall gives me the comprehensive reporting Untangle gives me. Especially out of the box. The insight that gives me alone gives me more protection then any tool.
    This is not to talk down on Sensei. I was paying for it before i went with Untangle, and did my digging.

https://www.sunnyvalley.io/privacy/

"We do not own your data. The fact that you might provide data to us does not change that ownership status. If the data was yours to begin with, it remains yours anytime."

I didn't think how Sensei does their inspection, and match against their remote database was clear enough. AFAIK you can not control the inspection certificates or anything. It's all baked in the package.

Someone in this thread said pfsense has "more rules for suricata than you pay premium for here" - enjoy your network woes when all of them are active �� unlike the untangle implementation, which holds your hand through thick and thin, the default rules for pf and opensense will fuck you up.

Untangle has a lot of minor annoyances, and is missing some key functionality (for me), they have a giant backlog of REAL GOOD requests as mentioned in thread and the interface is a bit dated although compared to the old one its a massive upgrade.

Also the forum not being formatted for mobile annoy me.

All in all, i'd vouch for untangle over pfsense any day, and opnsense 9/10 times. Unless you're a linux/freebsd guru, and enjoy doing all the meticulous configuration yourself, this is a great middle ground, and the step up to palo alto or similar really isn't worth it.
    Last edited by ccdmnk; 11-23-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Master Untangler

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not having WAN Balancer shouldn't have any impact on your VLANs... VLAN's can be done with or without WAN Balancer... WAN Balancer is used to distribute your WAN Traffic across multiple internet connections... I dont' have WAN Balancer and I have a couple VLANs on my network...
    jcoffin and CMcNaughton like this.

This is incorrect. WAN Balancer has no relation with VLAN. In fact VLANs are part of our free version.

Again, a license is not needed for VLAN.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Istar View Post
    Totally agree. I'd willingly pay 50$ for the previous plans just for the reporting alone. What I don't like is feeling that I'm paying for a tool that has limitations - and which I knew previously without those limitations. It maybe was bad luck on my side, as I was nearing the end of my trial period, but I've tried untangle on another device and had a good experience... just not good enough to justify 150$.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast