Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    This is incorrect. WAN Balancer has no relation with VLAN. In fact VLANs are part of our free version.

Again, a license is not needed for VLAN.
    How do you route the traffic out the correct vlan when untangle is in bridge mode without it?

All my attempts has resulted in the traffick attacking all of my vlans seemingly random.

IIRC the wiki page even instructs you to do this with wan balancer.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdmnk View Post
    Someone in this thread said pfsense has "more rules for suricata than you pay premium for here" - enjoy your network woes when all of them are active �� unlike the untangle implementation, which holds your hand through thick and thin, the default rules for pf and opensense will fuck you up.
    It was me, and I was talking about OPNSense and the ET Pro telemetry option. I don't find less options a bonus, it may be harder to implement, but in the end has more flexibility.

But in the end we might be discussing back and forth, but I don't see any kind of position from Untangle... So it's just good old banter

Quote Originally Posted by ccdmnk View Post
    How do you route the traffic out the correct vlan when untangle is in bridge mode without it?

All my attempts has resulted in the traffick attacking all of my vlans seemingly random.

IIRC the wiki page even instructs you to do this with wan balancer.
    You can create your own routes in Config -> Network -> Routes. WAN Balancer just does it for you. You are using a specific use case and applying it to all VLANs which is not correct.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 11-23-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    ccdmnk and Brutos like this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by csherman View Post
    I recommend you reach out to sales to help you with the upgrade in your case.
    I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    They were specifically supporting professionals already running the product in a business environment who ďfor a long timeĒ had wanted to use the same product at home. Thatís not exactly the scenario you described, unless Iím misunderstanding.
    I started using Untangle at home with HomePro long before I suggested it for work.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by soldier View Post
    Couldn't agree more
    That's all I was asking for to begin with. I just wanted WireGuard and I'd pay extra for it, however, I'm not going to pay 3 times what I'm currently paying to get it.

If Untangle wants to call it the Home license then just get rid of IPsec and include WireGuard instead. I don't see a reason to have IPsec on a "Home" license honestly.

I guess I'll be sticking with the free version for the time being. I was ready to get the Home Pro license should they add WireGuard to it and also start using the premium features but $150 is too steep for me.

WireGuard is still somehow working for me without a license on the free version, might have been a bug on the RC version, so I'll just keep using this until I'm forced to update. Then I'll probably just run wireguard off a VM.

At $50/year, I would have been happy paying that and not bother looking at alternatives, but for $150, I'm definitely going to start testing alternatives.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by jlficken View Post
    I started using Untangle at home with HomePro long before I suggested it for work.
    Sure. I’m just pointing out that there’s no need to speculate about why a home license (before HomePro) was created in the first place. Untangle told us why.

Untanglit

Default A Whole Lotta Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    https://www.untangle.com/solutions/untangle-at-home/
    Also, don't forget you can bypass stuff. So if you're heavy into the IoT thing again I recommend you put that stuff on its own VLAN so you can bypass if necessary. We're all playing that game. At least Untangle gives you a bypass! Their competition often simply doesn't have that functionality, so you wind up stuck buying a bigger license.
    FWIW, after having gotten burned by IP cameras that were compromised and added to a botnet, I don't like bypassing devices. My Licenses tab says I have 50 Seats, but that's not exactly the case, since I have more than 50 active devices. I hope that whatever Home licensing is offered in the future will be sufficient for those of us who have an IP address for each lightbulb...

Quote Originally Posted by mgiann View Post
    I followed the instructions, but I receive an error message that says "One or more of the selected products cannot be upgraded any furthur"
    I got trapped in this as well and frankly couldn't be bothered to contact Sales to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Legacy Home complete was originally all current paid modules, Home Protect Plus is that again... just in 2020 available modules instead of wherever Home was cut off... 2018?

You also lose the unlimited device cap, and get it replaced with a 150 device cap.

Will Home Protect Plus get any new modules that come down the pipe? I'd say not... given that the word "complete" is no longer in the name. But Untangle hasn't defined that.
    The "unlimited" device cap in Home Complete wasn't exactly unlimited -- there is something going on in the background to determine how many devices you're allowed. I hit some cap twice and had to contact Support to fix (no problem of course).
    Also, just for completeness, Branding Manger is also not included in Home Protect Plus. I used it just to entertain our guests that connected to our network, but I'll live without it, no problem.

IMO, there needs to be assurance that new modules are included in the Home Protect Pro license, unless it's something that's truly an Enterprise Feature. e.g., a DNS server with Pi-Hole equivalent features should be included, but a multisite tunneling app should not.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I don't believe it's legal for terms to change on a license you already purchased. I would definitely take this up with support. If conditions have changed on your existing license, most state laws either mean you must be grandfathered, or be able to opt out of the changes and receive a refund.

Have you found that Untangle already rolled your features back on existing licenses? I have not on my current one-year license.
    No, I haven't lost any apps -- like the rest of you, I don't have Wireguard and Threat Protection. I expect that I'll have all of the app that I currently have until my license expires at the end of 2021.

Now, my expectation was that I would have all of the apps in NG Firewall Complete for the duration of my license. I contacted support about this and they were basically non-responsive. Yes, I continue to believe this represents dubious ethics on their part and I expect I'd prevail if I pushed it. But in reality, it's "only" $100 and not worth my time to pursue.

Really, the only thing I could do that might be worth my time is not recommending the product to my clients. I don't know that I'm there yet.

I'd also like Untangle to figure out a home appliance product that works for them. I'd like them to have some sort of offer that would appeal to a non-technical user and compete with Protectli and Firewalla (if they want to). Becoming yet another pissed off home user doesn't seem like a helpful way to get them there. And, IMO, the Home Protect Pro doesn't get them there either.

Quote Originally Posted by jlficken View Post
    That's all I was asking for to begin with. I just wanted WireGuard and I'd pay extra for it, however, I'm not going to pay 3 times what I'm currently paying to get it.

If Untangle wants to call it the Home license then just get rid of IPsec and include WireGuard instead. I don't see a reason to have IPsec on a "Home" license honestly.
    I'd probably figure out another way to do it if I had to, but our computers and mobile devices all support IPsec natively, so it was super easy. WireGuard and OpenVPN require add-ons, so while they might be more popular, they IMO require more effort.

So, where am I?

• Yes, I think that Home Complete was an exceptionally good deal and I was surprised that it included Live Support. I never used Live Support because I figured that a single Live Support case would completely destroy Untangle's profit on the license.
    • Yes, I'm annoyed about the dubious ethics in not honoring my Home Complete license agreement.
    • Yes, I believe there's a chance Home Complete will be deprecated when I renew and I'll be offered a Home Protect license.
    • Yes, I'd like to play with Wireguard and see how it works. Yes, I can do that on a RPi if I have to.
    • Yes, I think Threat Prevention is valuable and I would like to have it on my network.
    • Yes, I probably would have changed my license (note that I didn't say upgrade) to Home Protect Pro already if I didn't have to contact sales. At this point, I'll probably wait for the dust to settle before I make any decisions.
    • No, I don't intend to switch to something else.
    • Maybe I will continue recommending Untangle to my clients. Maybe I won't.
    • Yes, Untangle should let us know what apps (or types of apps) we should expect to get over the term of our Home Protect Pro license.

Some other things that are clear to me...
    • It doesn't seem like the Home Complete / Home Pro products generated the results Untangle expected. I don't know what they did expect, but the messages I've read over the past several years suggest expectations weren't met.
    • There's insufficient insight in the amount of full licenses that Home users initiate.
    • Some people (maybe a lot of people) used home licenses at their businesses. Infuriating.
    • There's some overall trend in licensing that's making some resellers nervous.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast