Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Untanglit

Would have loved to have heard about this before the enthusiastic announcement about 16.0 containing WireGuard support. Thank you though for continuing to offer this product as an option for home. It's keeping my remote schooling and remote work going well during the pandemic.

If you ever EOL the HomePro subscription in favor of Home Protect, some kind of WAN monitoring and alerting would be fantastic as part of the Home Protect license since it's currently part of WAN Failover that comes with Home Protect Plus.

I also think you'll find many of your power-user oriented target demographic for the Home product will not be able to use a 50 device license. It's way too easy for this audience to surpass 50 devices, especially as guests on the network and things like temporary VMs take Devices and there's no real cleanup unless someone goes and manually removes them.

Looking at mine, I have 10 DVR devices, 8 smart plugs, 20 "unknown" that say User Agent such as "Java", ton of guest devices from visitors to my home, etc.
    Last edited by atothek; 12-02-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Untanglit

50 device license whats the best way to know how many devices are active?

if I click on devices it shows very old devices are those counted?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
    50 device license whats the best way to know how many devices are active?

if I click on devices it shows very old devices are those counted?
    Log into your Untangle server, on the dashboard there's a default widget named "Network Information", inside that box there's a number under "Maximum Active", that's the number you should use for licensing.

The 50 device license affords 50 devices on right now, you can have 2000 devices, but only 50 on at a time. If you run over 50, you'll get an admin alert and those devices will bypass the paid applications. So you're never looking at a huge crash and burn, just the annoyance of things not being fully scanned.
    soldier likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I had no idea this was going to arrive. For me, I am going to stick with my HomePro and renew each year until it is EOL. That will be it, after that.

The one thing I do want to throw out there is is a different point of view on use of Untangle.

I made my own hardware device, and installed Untangle on it to try it out. I also tried several other packages from different manufacturers, and ended up finding Untangle the best of them all. I purchased a $50/year subscription (Home Pro) because I felt I should support the Company so they can continue to develop the product, and because I felt it was a good price/value.

With the new announcement, the price would basically increase 300% as I would get the Home Protect Plus License. See below why.

For me that is to much, since I actually don't use many of the features Untangle has to offer. But I like to have them, just in case I ever need them. As was the case recently with the free trial version of Threat Prevention I had for 15 days.

Like I said, I will continue to support the Company by paying my renewal fee of $50/year for my current version. If that ever comes to an end, my support will also come to an end. I can get the basic features I use for free from several other options out there.

Just another point of view. $50/year is better than 0$/year.
    Cferra and tangofan like this.

It is pretty weak that they pulled directory connector from even the home protect. No way for radius authentication now. The untangle team should seriously reconsider this! Kind of shame on me but I'm tempted to request a refund for my recent upgrade.

Hello,

I have received an email regarding my subscription expiring in in March 2021 for Untangle HomePro license. ( which is now becomingin 2021 Home Protect Plus)

I wanted to follow up with some thoughts regarding the new Untangle pricing for Home Users.

Here is “My Beef” with Untangle’s new pricing for home users.

- 3x the cost compared to last year’s price, to obtain, or to continue to use, the same features as last year.
    - In 2020, I had purchase the license for Home Pro ($50), which allows home user to utilize ALL features of Untangle firewall
    - For 2021, I will now have to spend 3x the amount ($150 each year), to keep those same features in use, and if I don’t pay for the New Increase in pricing, I will loose the features I have setup and utilized at my home in 2020. A few features which were important to me, ( Web Cache, and WAN Balancer, WAN Failover) but now I will have to pay $150 to keep these 3 features, compared to Untangle pricing of $50 in 2020.
    - Overall, this is really outrageous for Untangle to do!
    - You leave many home users, without many reasonable options, and users can install Sophos’s Free Firewall application and pay nothing, and they will receive MOST of the same features for free. ( VPN, Virus Scanning/Protection, Load balancing and Failover, etc etc etc)
    - I do like the Untangle Firewall product, and would like to continue to utilize the FULL package that was sold to me with ALL the features for the $50 in 2020, (I would even pay, $75 a year) but to increase from $50 to $150 a year, for home users, is just terrorizing consumers.

The last note I have, is that During a global pandemic, when many people are experiencing financial strain, Untangle decides to triple the cost for home users
    This is not wise business decision by Untangle.

You may want to compare your features and pricing to Sophos Free for home users, XG Firewall product.

Sophos XG Firewall
    https://www.sophos.com/en-us/product...rotection.aspx

Happy Holidays!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by RFTangle View Post
    I have received an email regarding my subscription expiring in in March 2021 for Untangle HomePro license. ( which is now becomingin 2021 Home Protect Plus)

[...]

- I do like the Untangle Firewall product, and would like to continue to utilize the FULL package that was sold to me with ALL the features for the $50 in 2020, (I would even pay, $75 a year) but to increase from $50 to $150 a year, for home users, is just terrorizing consumers.

The last note I have, is that During a global pandemic, when many people are experiencing financial strain, Untangle decides to triple the cost for home users
    This is not wise business decision by Untangle.
    I think you are misunderstanding something. Untangle has discontinued selling HomePro to new users (and changing the length of subscription for existing users), but you should still be able to renew your existing HomePro subscription at the same price of $50 (at least for the time being). My auto renewal reminder from Dec 22 shows an upcoming renewal of my annual NG Firewall HomePro subscription for $50. I'm going to renew manually a few days early, just to make sure that the renewal processes in time (in case of a credit card hiccup).

While I agree with you that Untangle is shooting themselves in the foot here with this new pricing model (as a new user I would have never ever picked Untangle under those terms), existing users don't appear to be affected. Not yet, anyway. But I'm sure they're working on that... (Destroying the remaining goodwill of the home user base, I mean.) And at that time I'm going to jump ship as well. And the purchase of a z4 Plus that I had planned for the end of this year/beginning of next year is also cancelled.

You may want to compare your features and pricing to Sophos Free for home users, XG Firewall product.

Sophos XG Firewall
    https://www.sophos.com/en-us/product...rotection.aspx
    Doesn't Sophos have a pretty pathetic record regarding security (ahem) "incidents"? When I'm going to switch to something else, I'll look at OPNsense first. Not the same kind of product that Untangle is (as far as I understand), but apparently it's extendable enough to get it closer. (And I hear enough bad things about the developers of pfsense, that I'd pick OPNsense over pfsense any day.)

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by tangofan View Post
    When I'm going to switch to something else, I'll look at OPNsense first. Not the same kind of product that Untangle is (as far as I understand), but apparently it's extendable enough to get it closer. (And I hear enough bad things about the developers of pfsense, that I'd pick OPNsense over pfsense any day.)
    I looked at Pfsense and OPNsense before I went with Untangle HomePro... It seemed that to get close to what Untangle does, you'd have to spend a bit of money on plugins/subscriptions etc. So Untangle at $50 year for all that functionality was a steal... How much do you think a comparable feature set on xSense will cost a year? I haven't looked at it lately, but once you start getting close to $150 a year, you may as well jump to Untangle's new package - I suspect Untangle know this too, hence why the price is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    I looked at Pfsense and OPNsense before I went with Untangle HomePro... It seemed that to get close to what Untangle does, you'd have to spend a bit of money on plugins/subscriptions etc. So Untangle at $50 year for all that functionality was a steal... How much do you think a comparable feature set on xSense will cost a year? I haven't looked at it lately, but once you start getting close to $150 a year, you may as well jump to Untangle's new package - I suspect Untangle know this too, hence why the price is what it is.
    Yes sir!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    This makes sense, if all these threat detection & prevention features is the main reasons for going with Untangle. For my home setup the situation was a bit different though. I was using DD-WRT before and was tired of the bugs and wanted a router OS that was stable and also received ongoing security patches. What attracted me about Untangle was its slick UI (compared to the xxxSense products) and I was willing to pay $50 a year for that.

Now that I've been using Untangle for 11 months, I've also come to appreciate some of its other features like the buit-in OpenVPN server. Other stuff would be nice, if it worked reliably, e.g. tag-based rules. The threat detection/prevention is the part that I am least interested in and I wouldn't pay much extra for that, certainly not $100 or $150 a year. The one thing in Untangle Home Protect Plus that would interest me is the Wireguard app (and that's probably why they didn't put it in any of the lesser tiers).

Of course this may put me in the minority of Untangle users and perhaps even Home Protect Basic would be enough for my needs (ignoring Wireguard for a moment). But I'm just not sure that - seeing this new lineup - I would have enrolled even in Home Protect Basic.

In any case Untangle seems to believe that this new home product structure will net them more profit. Perhaps they are right (at least in the short-term). I'm just not sure that they'll benefit from this in the mid- to long-term.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast