Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by tangofan View Post
    This makes sense, if all these threat detection & prevention features is the main reasons for going with Untangle. For my home setup the situation was a bit different though. I was using DD-WRT before and was tired of the bugs and wanted a router OS that was stable and also received ongoing security patches. What attracted me about Untangle was its slick UI (compared to the xxxSense products) and I was willing to pay $50 a year for that.
    I'd say the for me personally, there's no point paying for functionality that I could accomplish just by using VLAN segregation and ACLs on my switch, so that translates into virus protection, malware detection, web filtering etc. I don't mind paying for those things, but I didn't want to pay enterprise prices at home for something which is solid. Hence why the HomePro price point was a no-brainer.

Now that Untangle's pricing is more in line with their competitors, it actually puts them back into the mix with all those other offerings out there. So it seems, to me, that they've done themselves a disservice there - as anyone who looks closely at the costs of one vs another doesn't have such an easy choice to make if keeping costs low is their main driver.

For as long as HomePro licences will be grandfathered, I'll probably stick with that as Threat Prevention and Wireguard aren't worth an extra $100 a year for me. I could probably say that full-fat Virus Blocker vs Lite isn't that big a deal either as I don't think I've had a hit on that once since I started running Untangle in April. I guess this is because Web Filter is probably so good at preventing any potential drive-by infections by blocking access to questionable sites before you even visit them.

I did look at Sophos XG again, but that whole SQL injection thing is just unforgivable from a company that big and so entrenched in the security landscape!
    tangofan likes this.

Both the AV blockers have marginal value in the current world. Your anti-malware protection is the malware category in Web Filter.

Threat Prevention has some value in containing an active infection after the fact... But that's very niche. The only place I find it consistently helping me at home is keeping all my web browsers using the DNS resolution chain I configured, instead of just running off to Cloud Flare via DoH.

And yeah, I refuse to use anything Sophos after that mess earlier this year. A SQL injection vuln? What is this 1999? And in their LOGIN SCREEN too! I could almost forgive a post-authentication bug... but that mess in the authentication process itself!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-24-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    Armshouse and tangofan like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I just installed Untangle and read through pretty much all of this thread. I've decided to stick with Untangle but now I'm trying to decide between the Basic and Pro version. It seems like the only thing on the Pro version that I might be interested in is Threat Prevention. So I'm wondering if the general consensus would be if the $100 extra per year would be worth it? $100 per year isn't going to change my life, but at the same time, I don't want to buy something that might not really be worth it so I thought I'd get some other opinions before making my decision.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
    I just installed Untangle and read through pretty much all of this thread. I've decided to stick with Untangle but now I'm trying to decide between the Basic and Pro version. It seems like the only thing on the Pro version that I might be interested in is Threat Prevention. So I'm wondering if the general consensus would be if the $100 extra per year would be worth it? $100 per year isn't going to change my life, but at the same time, I don't want to buy something that might not really be worth it so I thought I'd get some other opinions before making my decision.
    Since you just installed Untangle, you should still be in the 14 day trial period that allows you to try out all the models for free. I'll let some of the experts weigh in. I'm using Untangle for a home network and I'm okay with not having Threat Prevention in my grandfathered $50 p.a. subscription.

What scenario are you using Untangle for?

Yes, I have 8 days left in the trial. I'm just using UT for pretty basic stuff for my home network. I am an IT pro, was using a Cisco Meraki MX64 but it's capped at 250mb download and I pay for 400 so I figured I'd try another product. I like some of the report I get with UT. Most l just want to secure things a little better than just a basic router and I like tinkering with it a bit.

Master Untangler

I'm with @tangofan, the Threat Prevention and WireGuard aren't worth $100 for me personally.

I'm happy staying on HomePro for as long as I am able to - so long as it is maintained in the same way as the newer subs and doesn't become a lower tier of protection in an attempt to encourage you to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    I'm with @tangofan, the Threat Prevention and WireGuard aren't worth $100 for me personally.

I'm happy staying on HomePro for as long as I am able to - so long as it is maintained in the same way as the newer subs and doesn't become a lower tier of protection in an attempt to encourage you to upgrade.
    The sub will be what it is until it's no longer there. I've got commercial subs with Untangle that haven't been available in almost a decade, still renewing and working just like they always have. The only curveball in this situation is HomePro apparently will sunset at some point, but that point I would assume would simply mean you cannot renew it after that date. You'll still get your functionality up to the expiration date, whatever that may be.

To do otherwise invites all sorts of ugly legal crap that I'm sure neither you or Untangle want.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post

In fairness I would be interested in WireGuard, just not the level of "pay $100 extra per year" interested.
    Armshouse and donhwyo like this.

Thanks. I'll probably just go with the basic plan. I don't need WireGuard and it seems the general opinion is the Threat Protection might carry some value, it probably isn't worth the $100 per year.

Thank you.
    donhwyo likes this.

I'm currently on the Home Pro $50 plan.

Since I work from home I can write off some of the cost on tax so while I could keep renewing my current plan (for now) I'd consider upgrading to the new plan...

However if you want me to pay $150 USD a year, which is about $200 AUD, you had better start adding NEW FEATURES instead of TAKING AWAY FEATURES!

For example, where the hell is proper IPv6 support? This is quite literally a requirement for many people now that IPv4 has been exhausted (and it's not like this is a surprise...)

Paying 3X the cost for Threat Prevention and Wireguard isn't useful to me, but many of the top requested features I would feel like my purchase was actually good value for money considering my old Netgear Nighthawk I bought in 2012 supports things like IPv6...

Otherwise it seems like it would be better value just buying a router that does this all for me.
    donhwyo likes this.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast