Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Untangler

Default Setup Untangle for Home Use

Hi Guys,
    I need to purchase Untangle to protect my home network and children too, I'm wondering how the setup would look likes at home? Does it come as a router/modem and where I need to bridge it to my ISP router? Or I must run it as a bare-metal OS Virtual/Hardware appliance?

With regards to the Live Support Add-on, does this mean the updates which are being pushed to the Untangle Product or they are referring to a Remote Support with an engineer to resolve an issue?

Appreciated your support.

Thanks,
    Hussain

You can run it, however you want. It is a network device, and in general it's easiest to use it as your router. But, it can be a bridge too. It can run bare metal, or as a VM, whatever you can make work.

Live Support is for technical support from Untangle directly. Your support is from these forums with the Home Protect subscriptions. All software updates actually come with the platform itself, which is free. Each paid module includes the entitlements for its updates and definitions. So you don't need to worry about any of that.
    habibalby likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Well I just got off the phone with sales. So I've known of Untangle for years. Never made the move beyond basic firewall for home. Decided too and bought last night. Didn't do my homework I guess. There is no mention of device limitations when you buy. It's buried on one page on the Untangle website. Silly me. Sales answer to the device limit is leave a device like a Smart TV out of protection, which seems the absolute worse idea, since as I see it a smart TV is a higher risk than a computer that I can update firmware and software on, or buy a $150 year license. My repsonse to that is at that price I'll look at the competitors from Cisco/Fortinet/Watchguard etc who will offer what may be higher cost but will offer support, most 24/7. Untangle wants $150/year with 0 support.

Anyone know if I can nuke a Z4 and put pfSense on it!
    sclawrenc likes this.

I would expect PFSense / OPNSense to run fine on a z4.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

you could just put those 'smart' devices on an IoT vlan and forget about them.

Quote Originally Posted by tgr225 View Post
    you could just put those 'smart' devices on an IoT vlan and forget about them.
    I don't need Untangle to put ioT or anything on a VLAN and forget about it. A cheap switch accomplishes that.

I need Untangles paid for software to monitor, filter, etc. the LAN, the whole LAN. Selling security which is exactly what a large portion of what a NGFW is doing in my opinion by saying well just leave some things unsecured is, well odd, hilarious and sad all at the same time.

If it means to do that it costs $150 then Untangle just put itself in a new comparison against much larger competitors , And I will have to re-evaluate. It's not cost it's value for my money.

Speaking of these topics. Anyone have the actual licensing agreement for home use. I asked sales and they ignore the question outright.
    Last edited by fatman13; 02-23-2021 at 08:15 PM.
    mikeyscott and sclawrenc like this.

Untangler

Thumbs up

Happy to say that, Order is Confirmed;

A-S00110160 Item: UN-80-APO 1 z4 Appliance UPS Worldwide Expedited

A-S00110161 Item: NG-10-HOME 1 Home Protect Basic: 1-Year 03/23/2021-03/22/2022

A-S00110162 Item: NG-10-VIRUSBLOCK 50 Virus Blocker: 1-Year 03/23/2021-03/22/2022

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617