Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

One thing that would be neat for the new program would be a once a year we check your configuration, and help you properly configure your device; since there are probably some features that would work better if we knew about them.

Would also be cool to have some firewall rule database or even bypass rules. Example would be att wireless, Verizon wireless, T-Mobile WiFi calling rules. When going to clients having to put in the rules you forget sometimes. Would be nice if there was a place you could just pull specific ones.
    b4iyx94grucxve6q18 likes this.

Question if anyone knows... i have NG Firewall Complete home since 4 years that ends in june.
    If i upgrade to home plus now, i suppose if i want in june not to renew this, then i loose my old home licence and i end up in basic? correct?

Edit: also if i click upgrade in my licence i get a message

One or more of the selected products cannot be upgraded any further.
    Last edited by bluechris; 11-19-2020 at 02:18 PM.

System Optimization service is an option when you purchase your subscription, you'd have to pay for that service every year.

There is nothing magic here, if you want a sanity check of your configuration you're going to have to pay a professional network engineer to go through it. Nexgen has been selling support hours for this purpose for ages, Untangle does the same with their service options sitting there there on the checkout page.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluechris View Post
    Question if anyone knows... i have NG Firewall Complete home since 4 years that ends in june.
    If i upgrade to home plus now, i suppose if i want in june not to renew this, then i loose my old home licence and i end up in basic? correct?
    If Untangle lets you renew at that term, I'd assume you'd have another four years. That subscription apparently will get a sunset date, but we don't have it yet.

I'd assume worst case is that subscription simply can't be renewed anymore, and you'll have to purchase a replacement if you wanted the paid features. The good news is there's no configuration changes, it's just getting the license assigned in your Untangle.com account, the platform won't care how it's licensed, it only cares that it is.

But yeah... that's something you'll want to clarify with Sales.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    If Untangle lets you renew at that term, I'd assume you'd have another four years. That subscription apparently will get a sunset date, but we don't have it yet.

I'd assume worst case is that subscription simply can't be renewed anymore, and you'll have to purchase a replacement if you wanted the paid features. The good news is there's no configuration changes, it's just getting the license assigned in your Untangle.com account, the platform won't care how it's licensed, it only cares that it is.

But yeah... that's something you'll want to clarify with Sales.
    Sorry. Disagree with me if anyone wants to but that doesn’t seem fair to people who bought the product when they did with the features promised. Especially when you build out your entire network based on the feature set and unlimited devices that you purchased.
    Last edited by Cferra; 11-19-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Bollar View Post
    - Untangle should have honored the original Home (not Home Pro) license from 2016 and included all of the modules in the complete license package through the license period. My license expires in 2021 and I'm annoyed that I don't have access to these modules without buying a new license -- that wasn't what we were promised.

- Do we have any assurance that Untangle won't offer additional modules that won't be included in the "Home Protect Plus" package?

Code:
    Is there documentation on device limits? If it's the same process that we currently have, I'm fine with that. According to NGFW, I have ~ 60 active devices at home and I assume that will increase as I add IOT devices.
    Again, I don't have a problem with fair pricing and good value, but I hate having terms change on licenses I have purchased.
    This. I was one of the first to buy a Home license when it was available. I also needed someone to fix the install because I must have gone over some preset limit for Home. It was fixed with no issues, and I have been using/renewing ever since.

Now I see that my license is slowly being pried from my hands. I can't use Wireguard, which is being pushed as the new thing. It also doesn't cost anything. Why am I now having to pay $100 more per year for this? Sure, it's "packaged" in with the other apps, but maybe I don't want to pay an extra $100 for something I more than likely won't use just for the one free thing I will? Why isn't Wireguard included in the basic sub?

I don't get Threat Prevention, which, okay, maybe there's some overhead, but then charge for that overhead specifically. I probably wouldn't use this much, so I'd be okay with it costing a little extra. But I shouldn't have that forced down my throat just for a free app that I will use a lot. Let's also not forget that a lot of browsers now include things like this... for FREE. And Virus Blocker? Please. HTTP, FTP, and SMTP traffic has all but died since browsers started requiring or heavily suggesting SSL traffic (including SFTP and TLS logins to mail servers).

So please, tell me what I'm paying an extra $100 for? Other than to put more money in your pocket?

That's sad, because my use of the platform at home is what convinced me to pitch purchasing the complete package for the company I work for. But now you're going to milk me for more after already coming out with a license you originally agreed to have all of the apps for?

If Untangle is going to continue to play these kinds of games with licenses just expiring or removal of the terms they originally had, they're going to go on my list of companies not to do business with, both at home and at work. I won't be loyal to a company that won't be loyal to the terms they agreed to in the first place. And having a term that says terms can change at any time is not an excuse.

CrashPlan changed their terms for home and small business users, too. It cost them dearly. I remember when DD-WRT also stopped listening to the community and started focusing on their commercial contracts only. I haven't used them since. I know many others that did the same for both products.

Ubiquiti is heading down the same path.

Don't be like these companies.
    Cferra, tangofan, soldier and 2 others like this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Did you not read the new license? Home Protect Plus is limited to 150 devices, it's no longer device unlimited. Still though, 150 devices being actively filtered is a TON. If you've got more than that you've got the budget to use a proper switching and wireless stack that can put classes of devices into appropriate VLANs for bypassing. Bypassed devices do not consume licenses, you can have as many of those as you want.
    I always love people who commit everyone else to spending thousands just because they can't think outside the box and understand that everyone has a different use case.
    Cferra likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Isitpluggedin View Post
    As a home user I am grateful that untangle is offering their product to us at all. I feel some of us home users need to keep that in prospective. Its a PITA dealing with us, IOT devices etc... this product is meant for a business environment. Untangle gets little to nothing out of helping secure our homes.
    Untangle got a full business subscription from where I work, and I was planning on almost doubling it for more devices. That's because I had the very first original Home subscription. So no, they don't get little to nothing out if it, and I'd garner that's pretty much the truth for most people here.

Untanglit

Especially now when more people are working from home - with family members out of work and with more home devices than ever for people who can work from home - limiting devices AND tripling the price seems especially egregious. Sorry
    Last edited by Cferra; 11-19-2020 at 03:47 PM.
    thetoad30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csherman View Post
    I followed the instructions, but I receive an error message that says "One or more of the selected products cannot be upgraded any furthur"

I had renewed in June of this year.

Thanks
    wbennett77 likes this.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast