Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mgiann View Post
    I followed the instructions, but I receive an error message that says "One or more of the selected products cannot be upgraded any furthur"

I had renewed in June of this year.

Thanks
    Contact sales! I've had to have them punt the web site for me too.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Contact sales! I've had to have them punt the web site for me too.
    Thanks, will do.

Who thought that offering less than before for the same price and charging three times more for some additional features I didn't ask was a good idea? Limiting devices? This is just terrible decision making, guess I'll go Pfsense
    Cferra, Sam Graf and tangofan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thetoad30 View Post
    Untangle got a full business subscription from where I work, and I was planning on almost doubling it for more devices. That's because I had the very first original Home subscription. So no, they don't get little to nothing out if it, and I'd garner that's pretty much the truth for most people here.
    yes that's "little" they get out of it, market exposure, IT people trying at home, Our data casting a wider net on the internet?
    Bollar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farfalha View Post
    Who thought that offering less than before for the same price and charging three times more for some additional features I didn't ask was a good idea? Limiting devices? This is just terrible decision making, guess I'll go Pfsense
    If you want to go that path, do yourself a favor and use OPNSense instead. The fork exists because the PFSense people are guilty of far more than Untangle is in this case. Swapping to PFSense over this wouldn't be terribly logical.
    tangofan, soldier and Bollar like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I pulled the trigger on the new licence since you get a refund on the balance of your licence. I dont want to pay any more annually for a home based subscription than $150. I felt for the price the features were worthwhile. Alternatively I'd have to pay $450 every two years for another hardware appliance (such as Netgear, Draytek etc) at home and it goes in the bin when it gets replaced.
    Bollar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    https://www.untangle.com/solutions/untangle-at-home/

Scroll down to "Compare", it's the top most row in the table.

Also, don't forget you can bypass stuff. So if you're heavy into the IoT thing again I recommend you put that stuff on its own VLAN so you can bypass if necessary. We're all playing that game. At least Untangle gives you a bypass! Their competition often simply doesn't have that functionality, so you wind up stuck buying a bigger license.

I haven’t messed with VLAN. Wouldn’t I need another WiFi network to VLAN off IOT. Setup Another interface?

Since I have a mesh system it would be less than ideal setting up another separate WiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by leeds View Post
    I haven’t messed with VLAN. Wouldn’t I need another WiFi network to VLAN off IOT. Setup Another interface?

Since I have a mesh system it would be less than ideal setting up another separate WiFi.
    Yes, but the 'nother Wi-Fi network can be an additional SSID on the same Access Point (AP). Some APs can do that AND bind that SSID to a VLAN tag. The additional interfaces on NGFW can then be virtual. [Add Tagged VLAN Interface]

It would be best to start your own thread, if you have questions.
    If you think I got Grumpy

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    Yes, but the 'nother Wi-Fi network can be an additional SSID on the same Access Point (AP). Some APs can do that AND bind that SSID to a VLAN tag. The additional interfaces on NGFW can then be virtual. [Add Tagged VLAN Interface]

It would be best to start your own thread, if you have questions.
    While I can respect any opinion of the dealers out there and they are valued and valuable, I would hope that they are all looking at this from the lens of a home user, who may not have the ability, technical know-how, finances to get the advanced networking gear etc. when sorta defending untangle's stance here.

I understand that untangle users may be more technically inclined but that isn't always a true statement and not everyone has the ability to go out an purchase managed layer 2 switches or multiple nat routers or additional advanced access points to provide some of the advanced functionality that is being described here in this thread to bypass devices - especially typically Wi-Fi connected ones that may not support some of those features anyway. While nice that we can bypass things, it should not be a requirement for a home user to do that to stay in license compliance.

In a home network it should be assumed that it is mostly flat and that only 1 private address range is going to be used (0-255).

A far more fair licensing model would be to allow at least 254 devices to allow for this basic home use case scenario.
    Last edited by Cferra; 11-19-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Farfalha View Post
    The NGFW product logic was historically straightforward: take the free product—the platform, as it’s been called—and charge for added value. That tidy product logic prevailed until now. The platform is no longer ubiquitous. My most fundamental assumption about NGFW as a product is out the door, and abandoning the historic product logic is unproductively disruptive, in my mind.

We’re being told this was a customer-driven reset. That’s the "who." But like you, I didn’t ask for any of this and since my most fundamental assumption about product logic at Untangle is no longer valid, I’ve begun the reset at my end, too.
    tangofan, Cferra and thetoad30 like this.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast