Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Default Home Protect is now available with options for Threat Prevention and WireGuard

Hi all,

Untangle Home Protect is now available for residential, non business use. Home Protect comes with two options: Home Protect Basic and Home Protect Plus.

Home Protect Plus includes Threat Prevention and WireGuard for our home users.

Thank you to all who are part of our community here, and on feedback.untangle.com and who took part in our surveys to give feedback on preferences around our Home Packages. Your feedback and the time you spent answering our questions and telling us about your use cases and preferences gave us the information we needed to make this available for our home users.

For more information please see our Home Protect landing page on Untangle.com
    Heather P
    Untangle Product Team

Well now... this is a thing.

How long do you think it'll be before the fires start when people realize the new home bundles are device limited?

Also, not digging the new purchase configurator, but it's growing on me.

This is a good offering, too bad I can't resell it!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-19-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

OK, I have to comment this.
    Additional to HomePro (which we can call now as former/previous option as it doesn't exist anymore): Virus Blocker, WireGuard VPN and Threat Protection. I won't comment the price, for some it will probably be acceptable and for some it wont.
    But stripping down HomePro and call it Home Basic for the same $50 price is another story. You actually removed: WAN Balancer, WAN Failover, IPSec VPN, Web Cache and Captive Portal + 50 device limit which wasn't there before (in HomePro).
    I don't think this is fair because you actually removed all those features and kept the same price. It's time for me to rethink other options (pfSense or OPNSense).
    Last edited by soldier; 11-19-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    Ahslan, u_volto, Waltonjoe and 7 others like this.

Untangle Ninja

Thank you for taking community feedback into consideration, making Home Protect Plus a reality.

It's too soon to react more broadly, but I did notice, along with soldier, that the request by some to have additional features available as options has (unexpectedly) ended up penalizing all with a reduction in functionality. That's manifestly intentional and feels, in the moment, as a meaningful loss at least for those licensed/supportive home and business users, to whom it might even feel like a slight.

Something very definitely to sleep on.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 11-19-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by soldier View Post
    But stripping down HomePro and call it Home Basic for the same $50 price is another story. You actually removed: WAN Balancer, WAN Failover, IPSec VPN, Web Cache and Captive Portal + 50 device limit which wasn't there before.
    It is not good to remove things from your custumer. It is certain to alienate your base. Give something extra for a extra price (more options) is ok. But not THIS.

This is terrible news.

When I first began subscribing three years ago the Home package was awesome. All apps for home use, unlimited devices. I was able to give unqualified recommendations to my colleagues in IT.

The most disappointing thing of all is the NEW limitation of 50 devices on the basic plan.

Untangler

My Home Pro licence renewed this morning, so i still have all the features of home pro, but in 12 months will i be able to renew that same licence or will i be forced to the new limited licence for the same money or forced to pay an extra $100 for things I used to have + Wireguard and Threat Protection?

Untanglit

Thank you for offering this. I'm generally fine to support Untangle at this new pricing since it seems to have sufficient value, but:

- Untangle should have honored the original Home (not Home Pro) license from 2016 and included all of the modules in the complete license package through the license period. My license expires in 2021 and I'm annoyed that I don't have access to these modules without buying a new license -- that wasn't what we were promised.

As of now, the "Complete Package" is available for home for $50/year.
    You can buy a whole 5-year sub for just $200 - the cost of a new AC wifi router! That is less than your latte each month. That's the full package including *all* functionality. However, Its *only* available for home non-commercial use.

- Do we have any assurance that Untangle won't offer additional modules that won't be included in the "Home Protect Plus" package?

- NEVER MIND. I see this bullet now. I'll need Home Protect Plus, so 150 is probably reasonable.
    Code:
    Is there documentation on device limits? If it's the same process that we currently have, I'm fine with that. According to NGFW, I have ~ 60 active devices at home and I assume that will increase as I add IOT devices.
    Again, I don't have a problem with fair pricing and good value, but I hate having terms change on licenses I have purchased.
    Last edited by Bollar; 11-19-2020 at 10:56 AM.
    Stormtracker likes this.

Hello there.

Not sure I'm understanding everything about these new homepro licences... what does it actually mean for the free version?

About that device limits, in this time of IoT, it's completely risible. Home users installing custom FW are most probably (I mean... i guess at least...) geeks enjoying IoT, VMs and stuff... fixing a device limit is kind of ... surprising, to say the least.
    Last edited by lpha; 11-19-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Everyone here needs to take a step back and realize something...

If you have HomePro... NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

The subscription still has what it has... if you don't want Home Protect Basic, you just keep renewing Home Pro.

Bollar's comments above are fair though, because Untangle has no obligation to change what is offered on a given subscription. You have what you have when you buy it, and that's all you're guaranteed to get. So there is no assurance that future features won't be missing from Home Protect Plus.

Also, this has no impact on the Untangle platform, that's still free.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast