Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by NuX View Post
    I take it there isn't going to be any black Friday discounts?
    That was great!!

We're all unknowns. Welcome to the club!

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    That was great!!

We're all unknowns. Welcome to the club!
    As the bloody fool that asked the original question Nux your comment made me laugh out loud. I think the absence of comment by Untangle, other than to support disparaging comments towards consumers, tells you where we rank on their desired customer list. It is clear consumer is an after thought and raising the cost to deal with the distraction vs pricing to grow the business. Since the consumer market is huge I can't say I understand why you would miss this opportunity, but to each their own when it comes to private companies.

Though my organization uses Palo Alto we extend our services to small hospitals and clinics and they frequently look to us for advice. The technical name is Epic Community Connect if you are not familiar and very common model across the US. If you have read the news lately healthcare systems and individual physicians are being targeted. Some are sophisticated ransomware as a service, but others are more pedestrian. Many of these clinics and some of the small hospitals have to outsource their IT security due to their small size and often ask for recommendations. Anyway, these smaller practices can't afford Palo and I have often deferred the question to our my CISO and their team. Many of which had used Untangle at home before we got them Palo 220 or 820's for home use and how I learned of Untangle. I had put off trying for months, but finally tried Untangle once v16 added UEFI support as I had a supermicro d1541 sitting around collecting dust and knew it could support full gigabit. Prior I was using unifi for wan balancing, vlan and Palo Alto Prisma and EDR on many of my devices through an agreement. I also wanted a learning exercise, not being a security expert myself, and found the UI to be intuitive, reports helpful and have already recommended to a physician practice in the last couple of weeks. We have a community connect summit before the end of the year and would have loved to endorse Untangle. For straight consumers I'm recommending Firewalla having also used their Gold appliance with their brilliant UI, ease of use and consumer features that exceed most people current state. Six people have ordered their device based on this home experimentation. Firewalla is literally a plug and play device, offers dynamic DNS, filtering, IPS, Ad blocking, VPN server/client, etc. Really remarkable device. So I'm on the fence with Untangle and as Confucius says, he who straddles fences gets a sore crotch...

If Sky-Night is to be believed Threat Prevention is not helpful in the home environment and the frustration outstrips its utility. Similar post he speaks to the nightmare that is managing SSL inspector in a home environment with kids and school issued chrome books and Virus Blocker requires exposure of decrypted traffic to cloud services without clear explanation of risk and lack of liability provisions causes pause. Official messaging recommends end user AV. I disagree with his position that end user AV isn't helpful in 2020. We use EDR with heuristics and managed services monitoring, But in my circles of CIOs we all have stories of how end user AV has detected/prevented malware given the rapid shift to home. Sure it may not prevent Trickbot, but people are still using work devices for personal use and stumbling into the oldies, but the goodies. Lack of centralized logging etc is a challenge, but for a consumer that has device with adequate CPU/Ram I would agree with Untangle that end user AV still has utility.

I'm happy to discuss the pros and cons of FireEye vs Cortex XDR vs Carbon Black and the resource utilization of any and the advantages of one managed service provider over the other. FE doesn't support Linux so you have to have Cortex and CarbonBlack on servers is often not worth immediate disruption following acquisition if you already have managed response contract in place. I appreciate Cisco/Palo Alto and my org is large enough to have all the above and more due to merger and acquisition, but prosumer is a different story and I very much appreciate the help and assistance of forums such as this. I'm Far removed from the granular management of the stack and since I use a refreshing VM for surfing, unifi with VLANS, end user EDR and Palo Alto Prisma I hadn't really worried much about home products.

I will admit I have had more flashbacks of dealing with ma and pa shops than I care to relieve, but overall I have found incredibly thoughtful, articulate and passionate hobbyist and people wanting to help others. The good has outstripped the snarky by a nice margin and was fun to revisit skills that have become dull with age and managing a 600+ person org.

I will likely move on to the next project because I lack the time and interest, but I do very much appreciate people's help. Fortinet and Sophos might be next or a Palo 820 thanks to our enterprise agreement may be in my future and I quit the distractions. Who knows, but that's the great thing is there are a TON of choices and it comes down to the entire experience which includes customer support which starts with Respecting your customer.
    Last edited by drmilo; 11-30-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by drmilo View Post
    If Sky-Night is to be believed Threat Prevention is not helpful in the home environment and the frustration outstrips its utility. Similar post he speaks to the nightmare that is managing SSL inspector in a home environment with kids and school issued chrome books and Virus Blocker requires exposure of decrypted traffic to cloud services without clear explanation of risk and lack of liability provisions causes pause. Official messaging recommends end user AV. I disagree with his position that end user AV isn't helpful in 2020.
    It seems like the value of Threat Prevention isn't static. For example, I found it problematic in limited testing because it blocked calls to NTP pool servers. That was enough for me to consider it not helpful in my home environment and I did no further testing. But I think the YMMV rule probably does apply to Threat Prevention.

As for NGFW's Virus Blocker and its value, there's context here. As the wiki notes, "Virus Blocker transparently scans your HTTP, FTP and SMTP traffic..." If you aren't doing SSL inspection, Virus Blocker is all but blind to much home traffic. The beauty, if there is one, of SSL inspection is that it is by default targeted inspection, not mass inspection. And the app allows an admin to tailor the inspection to his or her needs.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 11-30-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Threat Prevention is... evolving.

It's really good at keeping arbitrary things from talking to command and control systems. This has a substantial impact on crypos. It's also good at eliminating out of band DNS, especially DoH from browsers. I don't recommend it for home applications unless there's an admin with at least moderate network administration skill. In reasonable hands it's a handy tool, but it's a lot like Intrusion Prevention in that at times it can get rather stubborn and cause difficult to troubleshoot issues.

I still very much consider the thing a 1.0 package though... almost beta in a way which reinforces my above concerns.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Yeah, so:
    1) We didn't do any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals this year, sorry. There - THREAD FIXED.
    2) Personally, I don't use Threat Prevention at home (z6/Complete Package)
    3) Untangle NGFW was never intended for the average home user/network - you're getting a corporate-level NGFW at home for pennies on the dollar. Our home offering has been a [shockingly successful] experiment, and is clearly still evolving. It's been so successful that we haven't been able to take a breath to refine/update those packages....until now. If we "didn't care" about you as customers, we would've just eliminated the Home offerings instead of adding apps to them, straight-up.
    4) Anyways, here's "Wonderwall" [picks up acoustic guitar so the party will end]...
    TirsoJRP and mikeyscott like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234