Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by LSGPSTech View Post
    We went ahead and booted up a desktop and installed untangled on it for it to be on its own hardware not a VM and while it did improve connectivity a bit, it still isn't full capacity. I think we get maybe 500 Mbps, but again we pay for 2.5 Gbps. Did all our tests with our ISP and bypassed untangle as a test and sure enough its untangled, but we are now at a loss for why since we got rid of the virtual aspect and still have issues.
    The magic word was "desktop".

You don't have the PCIe lanes to do what you're trying to do on that platform. 1 gbit throughput is hard enough... that means 1gbit into one NIC, 1bit out another, AND enough drive IO to log that crap after you insert a processing delay. That's basically 3gbit of ability, to move 1gbit on the wire.

The bare scraping minimum I'll spec for a 10gbit filter, is an i7 4.0 ghz hyperthreaded hex core, 12gb of ram, with a SATA SSD running the OS. And that's sitting on top of an appliance main board with specialized NICs with integrated offloading and enough PCIe lanes to saturate the bus.

Running at this level is NOT EASY. And from what I've seen, there's almost no cost savings going from 10gbitbase-t, down to 5gbitbase-t or 2.5ghbitbase-t. So I don't bother selling devices in that space, it's flat not worth it. I'm LOOKING for them... and if one appears I'll happily present it, but until then it's 10gbit or bust on near Xeon level server hardware.

The even more insane thing is people want this junk in their homes on the cheap. It's flat not happening. Home users pay for Chineesium, and that's what they get. That means cloud offloaded everything is your only real option. There's a reason every other UTM in this space has done that offload. But I'm still here because Untangle hasn't. They have with SD-WAN, but that's also why I'm flat not interested in that product.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-18-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Makes sense. We ended up using one of our newer servers, tossed a 10gbitbase-t NIC in, for some reason it can't see anything plugged into the NIC card only the onboard interfaces. So we are limited to 1gbit but it is still faster than before. Our issue now is that we about to pay for 5gbit internet via e-rate funding since we are a school district...we were hoping this solution would work.

We were hoping this solution would work
    It WILL work, but for those speeds you have to spec your hardware very carefully. Again, this doesn't necessarily just depend on CPU, RAM or Disk throughput (though of course those thing can matter, too), but also the bus speed (PCIe lanes) connecting those devices, and we're just not used to needing to pay attention to that stat item -- to the point even finding authoritative information on what, exactly, a given motherboard provides can be painful.

NIC and NIC drivers are another factor. There are a lot of NICs out there that work fine for "normal" loads, but when you actually ask them to spend significant time running at or near capacity you suddenly find the drivers or chipset aren't really up to the task.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 01-08-2021 at 08:41 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5.2 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Makes sense. We ended up using one of our newer servers, tossed a 10gbitbase-t NIC in, for some reason it can't see anything plugged into the NIC card only the onboard interfaces. So we are limited to 1gbit but it is still faster than before. Our issue now is that we about to pay for 5gbit internet via e-rate funding since we are a school district...we were hoping this solution would work.
    Not all NICs are created equal, the interface you have obviously isn't supported by Debian 10. However, if that server is a Dell, you might be able to install VMWare vSphere on it, and run Untangle as a VM. But if you want a guaranteed way to get 10gbit through put, that's what the appliances are for.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12