Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Untangle Throttling Bandwidth

Okay so here is our setup. We have our ISP come in to Untangle. Then our Untangle goes to a Ubiquiti USG (not using the firewall aspects at all may switch this later to where untangle is just in bridge mode) Anyway in the past we have had very few issues with internet connectivity. This year however our Untangle Box never goes above 50 mbps if it does it is only a few mbs. Anyway. I can do a speedtest in the CLI and get up to 500 mbps (still not what we pay for for internet). Our ISP says they can get the full connection to their equipment. Untangle says they aren't receiving more than 50 mbs from upstream (which if that was the case then why would the speedtest go up to 500 mbs?) We are a school district with 8 sites. We have building to building connections that are rated for 10 GB and where our internet comes in we pay for 2.5 GBs. Somehow we aren't pushing our speeds and we can't figure it out. We don't have bandwidth control on. I had QoS on, turned it off didn't make a difference and turned it back on. We are struggling with connection. I have tried untangle support and they tell me that they don't see anything wrong.

*Extra Information.

Untangle Runs on a VM it has a CPU Count of 16, Memory 50 GB and Disk Space 500 GB. We have a 10 GB NIC card on the device as well.

You have a bridge mode Untangle outside of a NAT performing USG?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

It isn't in bridge mode currently no. And NAT is disabled on the USG.

So Untangle is doing NAT, with a NAT'less router behind it...

I'm assuming then Untangle has a bunch of static routes in it to handle your interior traffic, or things just wouldn't flow.

From there, it's just QoS, but you say that's disabled? So that can't be it...

Next step is the virtual platform being used? What is it?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Hyper-V

Quote Originally Posted by LSGPSTech View Post
    Hyper-V
    And there's your problem... You're probably using the legacy NICs which are 10/100 only. You can try to use the native NICs, but their performance is annoying and inconsistent with Debian.

My testing has better luck with Server 2019 than it did with 2016, which is light years better than it was with 2012, but the issues are still plentiful enough that I do not recommend virtualizing Untangle on HyperV.

If it worked before, you might try rebooting the host. HyperV's vSwitching gets... strange sometimes.
    CMcNaughton likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

It doesn't allow me to choose legacy or otherwise. We do use 2016 so maybe upgrading to 2019 would help some?

You can't edit an adapter to become legacy, it simply is...

When you add hardware to a VM, there are two options Network Adapter, and Legacy Network adapter.

Legacy Adapters appear as such in the hardware list. I'm going to assume yours says Network Adapter, and therefore isn't a legacy adapter. Sadly, something in that mix is where the problem lies.

I can tell you that Linux support specifically for Debian and Ubuntu were upgraded substantially from 2016 to 2019, I cannot say that will solve your problem. I can say that if your hardware supports 2019, the upgrade from 2016 to 2019 is as painless as a Windows 10 manual feature update. But beware... you need to do your homework first. My Dell PowerEdge T330 required a BIOS update, iDRAC controller update, RAID card firmware update, and RAID card drive update BEFORE 2019 was supported. A failure to adhere to this would have resulted in a server that was BSOD dead... So take appropriate precautions.

But in the end the only virtualization platform Untangle actively supports is VMWare vSphere. And you're living through why... I actually plan to try to run my Untangle in HyperV 2019, because my Debian 10 based web server loves it. But... I'm also playing with Ubuntu LTS 20.04, and I just watched my Unifi US-48 hard lock over VLANs going over an LACP trunk into that server.

Things... be... weird... And while I can share my experiences, it's not a situation that I'd call "supported". I'm not entirely convinced it's a good idea to have a router, a thing the entire network including the hypervisor depends on, running within the hypervisor. It creates issues, big ones.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Yeah, I think Rob is on the right track - I'd bet $5 on the vNICs, too. I mean, we still have folks running it on 2012 too, but the vNICs, port-mirroring/etc. all need to be set correctly. If your VM is a bottleneck w/no QoS enabled, it's probably going to be a setting in the hypervisor config.

We went ahead and booted up a desktop and installed untangled on it for it to be on its own hardware not a VM and while it did improve connectivity a bit, it still isn't full capacity. I think we get maybe 500 Mbps, but again we pay for 2.5 Gbps. Did all our tests with our ISP and bypassed untangle as a test and sure enough its untangled, but we are now at a loss for why since we got rid of the virtual aspect and still have issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast