Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks. Agree, that is part of the reason I want to validate the foundation first before submitting a ticket to a developer. Having written kernel bug fixes before, I can sympathize that too many bugs are mis-categorized, due to exogenous factors, and so on. Helps when due diligence is done up front.
    donhwyo likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Given my history with Untangle, I think this situation boils down mostly to poor employee training. They are a relatively small company. And tier 1 support has... well... a spotty history in some very annoying and yet persistent places that might explain your situation.
    Can't wait to see that in their sales literature. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Can't wait to see that in their sales literature. LOL
    Training is an omnipresent problem. How many times have you called your ISP back during an outage just to get someone different?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Oh I see they are doing us a favor so we don't get bad answers form level 1 support. I expect things like that from large companies. Not a small company that needs more customers.

The reference to proxmox earlier was just to show there are other models out there. If the one they are using isn't working it may be time to look at what works for others. I am sure there are other examples out there. It's not my place to say what they need to do. Just letting them know what it looks like from out here.

Dogberts tech support. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/543035667540797369/

Untangle support. Don't bother me. Go to the forum and hope Sky knows.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Untangle support. Don't bother me. Go to the forum and hope Sky knows.
    I have to admit, it feels like that some days. But... it's not really true. I'm not these forums. They'd kick along without me just fine.

Also, having made a career out of supporting small businesses... I get the hungry perception driving more value per dollar, because that's very much a thing. However, in my experience SMBs have less competent people over all.

That's just one of those things about capitalism that no one wants to talk about...

Please don't take those words as some sort of insult. I'm talking about pay scales, and available resources. Humans are human... and when you start shorting the resources things degrade. SMBs don't have endless wallets to take up the short fall, so when the economy slips as it has this year, SMBs are the first to show the effects. Not to mention that everyone in an SMB usually wears far too many hats to really get good at anything.

So I understand why Untangle is the way it is, I hate it... but I understand it. For crying out loud I'm an example of it, this whole one man MSP thing I have going on is exhausting!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-11-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler
    DJR likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123