Untangler

Default I made a Cyber Monday Mistake

So I picked up a Unfi Udm Pro on cyber Monday, well that was a waste of money Long story short the UDm Pro is so gimped compared to Untangle. Instead of waiting for features to either become available or they get them working I'm just going to upgrade to Untangle home pro or whatever they are calling the home license with more features the $150.00 one. Only problem I ever had with Untangle is there's no Multicast DNS built in, to my knowledge which is something that actually works with Vlans setup on the unifi Nightmare machine Pro. Is there a way to get Multicast DNS on the network even if I need to use a raspberry pi? If I stick with the Unifi router I'll need at least 10 raspberry pi's to get my network working correctly. I need my custom overkill crazy fast full featured untangle dell power edge back on my network asap. If your ever thinking about not renewing your untanlge sub think twice at least twice!!! I sure hope I didn't delete my untanlge backup!! I might just have to go the no vlans route Iot crap.....
    CMcNaughton likes this.

Untangler

Your poweredge will probably run proxmox well. Run Untangle as a vm and another vm to deal with multicast. Untangle runs very well as a vm.

Don't forget to vote for this if you haven't already.
    https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...r-vlanssubnets
    Last edited by donhwyo; 12-13-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Your poweredge will probably run proxmox well. Run Untangle as a vm and another vm to deal with multicast. Untangle runs very well as a vm.
    Thanks for the info going to research it now.

The PowerEdge like all things Dell has official support of VMWare. So you could get the free version of vSphere on that thing, and have all the downloads and such from Dell to make the thing sing.

Then you can run Untangle on a hypervisor that actually gets some support.

I love ProxMox, and it's Debian just like Untangle. But it's less popular, if you're ready to take that task on yourself go for it! But when going Dell, be aware that you're skipping out on substantial work Dell's already done for you.

P.S. Yes, the UDM like all things Unifi that play on layer 3 is a bit of a train wreak.
    CMcNaughton likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The PowerEdge like all things Dell has official support of VMWare. So you could get the free version of vSphere on that thing, and have all the downloads and such from Dell to make the thing sing.

Then you can run Untangle on a hypervisor that actually gets some support.

I love ProxMox, and it's Debian just like Untangle. But it's less popular, if you're ready to take that task on yourself go for it! But when going Dell, be aware that you're skipping out on substantial work Dell's already done for you.

P.S. Yes, the UDM like all things Unifi that play on layer 3 is a bit of a train wreak.
    Seriously you guys are awesome, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge very much appreciated. The Nightmare pro can be my temp router until I get this setup going.
    CMcNaughton likes this.

If it's between ProxMox & vSphere/VMWare, it's no contest. Untangle NGFW will run in any hypervisor that I've found, but like Rob said, you'd get some support from us with the VMWare install. Good luck, and thanks for seeing the light!
    pcwatermods likes this.

Untangler

It is about time Untangle also supported a fellow commercial open source project. When I was deciding witch way to go proxmox was way more intuitive to me. And free vs paid. If you get vmware free, how long will that last? I guess you could ask that of proxmox too.
    pcwatermods likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    It is about time Untangle also supported a fellow commercial open source project. When I was deciding witch way to go proxmox was way more intuitive to me. And free vs paid. If you get vmware free, how long will that last? I guess you could ask that of proxmox too.
    Yes... and to further twist that knife...

ProxMox's initial release was April 15, 2008.
    VMWare ESXI's (later renamed vSphere) initial release was March 23, 2001. I think the free version didn't happen until Summer of 2009... I've slept since then!

So as far as I know, VMWare has been free almost as long as ProxMox has. Of course the former is closed source... the latter is open, so if Proxmox decided to make it paid only someone could fork it and make it free again.

And so the world turns...
    pcwatermods and CMcNaughton like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com