Default Looking for guidance prior to purchase of UCK behind Untangle Router

Apparently I screwed up in that I purchased a UDM Pro not knowing that I cannot run Untangle in transparent bridge mode behind the UDM Pro.
    After much time and experimentation I am ready to give up on it. I am not prepared to give up using Untangle so the UDM Pro must go. This seems to be a common experience by a few on this site but somehow I missed it when researching the purchase of a UDM Pro approximately 8 months ago.

I do not want to squander any more money, so I would like to ask here, to those who have done it:

1. Can I run Untangle as my router and install on the LAN side of my network a Unifi Cloud Key Gen 2?
    2. Can I add an Unifi NVR at a later date?
    3. Is there any special setup required for any of the devices to achieve this?

Thanks for any insight or advice in advance....

8 months ago the UDM Pro was brand new, the information you're talking about didn't exist then. I was trying to caution people given my experience with Unifi back then, but I was excited to try them out too!

1.) Yes
    2.) Yes (But Protect works a little differently, and see below)
    3.) No, other than what Unifi already requires.

Unifi gear finds its controller via layer 2 broadcast, this only works on a single local segment. Depending on the complexity of your network, you'll probably be better off using the DNS mechanism for Unifi devices to locate their controllers.

So... in config -> network -> Hostname, see that domain name field? That is a DNS suffix that all of Untangle's DHCP services regardless of interface will hand out. It can be essentially anything, the key is you want to know what it is. Because by default it's example.com. On the DNS server tab, there's a static DNS entries list, if you make a record for unifi.example.com there, and aim it at the IP address of your Unifi controller, all DHCP enabled Unifi devices will be able to find their Unifi controller regardless of what network they're on, and how they're attached to your Untangle. That automagic broadcast thing Unifi does is weak, don't rely on it!

2nd... you say Cloud Key Gen 2, then you mention the desire to add cameras. This to me is anathema... Yes, the Gen2 cloud key has a hard disk slot and it's there to provide storage for cameras. But there are two problems here. 1.) A single drive isn't going to give you terribly great storage to operate more than a few cameras. 2.) Unifi Video is out, and Unifi Protect is in.

The latter requires a dedicated device to handle the recording! Which utterly invalidates the need for the hard disk in the Gen2.

Personally, I prefer to simply use an actual computer for this task, I put both the recorder AND the controller on it, and I don't have to buy so many devices that cost $300ish a pop! A refurbished Dell Optiplex with a Win10 pro license and a warranty can be found for around $300, toss in a few extra drives and BOOM you've got a more solid system to rely on for your controller / recorder needs than Unifi's UNVR. And you get to dial your own storage now far more easily. It just doesn't look as pretty.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

sky-night,
    Thanks very much for your fast and informative response to my questions. I knew the UCK Gen2 drive came with a 1TB HDD but I did not know that it was redundant and required a separate dedicated device for recording. I have 3 Unifi Protect cameras which work well with the UDM Pro and I plan on expanding this to a couple more over time.

Your assistance on this matter is very much appreciated. Hopefully others will find this thread as well as the others posted here and become aware of the limitations of the UDM Pro.

The Gen 2 isn't a terrible thing if it's a controller, it's far more resilient to power issues than the Gen 1 is.

So if you don't have the controller protected by a strong UPS, Gen 2 is nice to have. But yeah... the 2nd benefit was supposed to be recording space for Unifi Video, but... that's dead now.

I just find the costs involved with the controller and the recording device to be such that it's easier to build a machine to do that work instead. But.. I'm a hardware guy that sells appliances that support *nix things, that's easy for me.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com