Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ding ding...

The correct answer is we don't trust ANYTHING OR ANYONE. But when you have open source software you can go audit the source code for yourself. That's the verification required to trust software.

Anything less means you're trusting not the software, but the company behind the software. And, in these cases really trusting in their liability... but we all know lack thereof.

If Untangle is too corporate, then fork it, do a better job than they do.
    Armshouse likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Now, if you're a world traveler, 3rd Party VPN provides an easy means to keep your browsing experiences stable, because again you can bypass that geo-fence. You will always present to the Internet based on the server you're routing through. That has value. As does using it to get around irrational geographic distribution of content limitations.
    I should add to the "World Traveler" topic that in addition to the stability/geofencing issue, it does increase security of your data, especially when stuck having to use unsecured networks (Wifi or else).

I full tunnel into work (work laptop) or home (to my UT router) for this specific purpose. I don't need a 3rd party though.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    I should add to the "World Traveler" topic that in addition to the stability/geofencing issue, it does increase security of your data, especially when stuck having to use unsecured networks (Wifi or else).

I full tunnel into work (work laptop) or home (to my UT router) for this specific purpose. I don't need a 3rd party though.
    With HTTPs practically everywhere this is less of an issue by the day, but it is technically still true in some cases.
    NexgenAppliances.com

VPN providers have been selling snake oil for years. Some unethical practices by IPS and other actors has fueled the VPN "need". Geo-fencing is pretty much the only justification while stores and services are getting more aggressive blocking vpn users.

Privacy... sorry, your email provider doesn't care where you connect from, it is you.
    Your devices telling google/apple where you are.
    Bought something, ship it to your house? it is you.
    Have smart devices?
    Centralized router to handle your VPN? Your wifi devices still reach your router through WPA2 and broadcast plenty of info.
    WiFi hotspots? Have to agree that they suck, but deploying your own VPN seems wiser.

You are just sharing your info with an additional party.

The cookies don't care where you connect from either, the data mining being done on the browser level is where the privacy issues really stem, and all of that doesn't give a crap about VPN. They sort of did early on, but now that VPN is so widely used the algorithms have been updated to deal with it. So now the connection path to "online" whatever that may be is largely irrelevant to the Internet at large.
    tcurtis likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by TirsoJRP View Post
    VPN providers have been selling snake oil for years. Some unethical practices by IPS and other actors has fueled the VPN "need". Geo-fencing is pretty much the only justification while stores and services are getting more aggressive blocking vpn users.

Privacy... sorry, your email provider doesn't care where you connect from, it is you.
    Your devices telling google/apple where you are.
    Bought something, ship it to your house? it is you.
    Have smart devices?
    Centralized router to handle your VPN? Your wifi devices still reach your router through WPA2 and broadcast plenty of info.
    WiFi hotspots? Have to agree that they suck, but deploying your own VPN seems wiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The cookies don't care where you connect from either, the data mining being done on the browser level is where the privacy issues really stem, and all of that doesn't give a crap about VPN. They sort of did early on, but now that VPN is so widely used the algorithms have been updated to deal with it. So now the connection path to "online" whatever that may be is largely irrelevant to the Internet at large.
    Valid points, but these are weaknesses, gaps, in the end-user system or nothing to do with a VPN. I don't think a credible VPN provider would claim to protect from any of these things. Anyone who thinks their VPN is doing all of that is misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    Valid points, but these are weaknesses, gaps, in the end-user system or nothing to do with a VPN. I don't think a credible VPN provider would claim to protect from any of these things. Anyone who thinks their VPN is doing all of that is misinformed.
    I can tell you given the phone calls I get from end users on this subject, they very much think all of this.

Which is why I generally tell people to stay away from 3rd party VPN, because they simply don't do what people think they do... and in the process they do something else that's far worse... Provide a false sense of security.
    Armshouse and dashpuppy like this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12