Default Setting up wireless garage door opener

I'm trying to connect my wireless garage door app to connect to my wifi. I'm not sure if the issue is with the device or the firewall.

To test this, I temporarily turned off the firewall app and web filter app in UT, but was still not able to connect. I see the device get an IP address, I also see some traffic from the device and show nothing as blocked in either the web filter or firewall. Is there anywhere else I can look to rule out the firewall?

Is it safe to say that if I have turned off the web filter and firewall apps that there is no way this is an Untangle issue blocking access?

They are telling me it just needs three ports open, 443 tcp and udp and 123 upd. Would that just be a port forward rule to the internal IP of the device?

Thanks.
    Last edited by GlenB; 02-01-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Have you try bypassing the device?

I was hoping just disabling the firewall and web filter app would basically be the same thing. Otherwise I'm not sure how I'd do it. If I uncheck the 'block all' in the Access Rules / Advanced section, would that do it?

Quote Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
    I was hoping just disabling the firewall and web filter app would basically be the same thing. Otherwise I'm not sure how I'd do it. If I uncheck the 'block all' in the Access Rules / Advanced section, would that do it?
    DO NOT DISABLE 'block all' in the Access Rules This will leave your Untangle exposed to hackers on the Internet.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

What apps are installed? Threat Prevention positively despises my Honeywell T-Stat.

If you have an IP address for that device, slap it into a reservation make your bypass rules for it. And for the love of all that is good in the world, stay the heck off that access rules tab! Changes in there will only bring you pain and tears.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I do not have Threat Protection. All I have is Home Basic license so I have Web Filter and firewall. Yes, it does have an IP address that I set to static via DHCP of the UT.

I'm new to UT so for the bypass rule, you are talking about under Config | Network | Bypass Rules? In there I set the internal IP of the device - Action = Bypass and made it Rule ID #1.

Is that what you are suggesting? If so, I'll test that tomorrow.

I think you want me to stay out of the Access Rule tab.

Thanks again.

Untangler

Be aware that some garage door openers (at least the chamberalins I purchased) use a rolling Mac address. If anyone has advice on how to assign a static IP to a device like that I would love to hear it.

If the hunk of junk using a rolling MAC address you have no choice but to use a wireless solution that can handle multiple SSIDs, VLAN that SSID and push a unique IP range to that entire network then control that network as a unit.

Then you get to connect all that stupidly built garbage to that network.

Congrats you own a device with coded security theater, and now you get to jump through hoops to deal with it.
    sperman likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com