Default Random UVM Restarts

Hi All,

Hoping someone may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

I have a protectli F4WB.

I started off with opnsense and it ran fine for a few weeks but the features were not quite what i needed so decided to try untangle.

Installed and love the interface and the apps.

I admit i used the graphical install and the partitions complained but got a success install.

It ran for a week and then suddenly the UVM would restart randomly.
    The box would still run but the internet would drop and could not access the webpage. This literally lasted about 5 mins tops.

In the console it should the reboots with the () to show it wasnt planned.

This then repeated every few days.

I opened a ticket with untangle as had support. sent some logs and was told they couldnt see anything and presumed it was corrupt OS or hardware.

I was a bit sceptical but thought ok.

Ran a memtest which passed fine.

Resinstalled the OS again and used the non graphical and no issues this time (did wonder if the partitions may have been corrupted)

The box ran perfect for 6 days. During this time I bought the full home version.

Then it started to do the random restart thing again.

Sent logs etc. Once again told couldnt see anything, corrupt OS could i reinstalled again.

I found this odd and really do not want to rebuild my box weekly.

I also really dont want to move to another platform as i really like the features.

Does anyone else have any ideas or places to look to see what is actually wrong?

Thanks

Dagaz

Untangler

Are you running IPSEC VPNs ?
    CMcNaughton likes this.

First of all, welcome to the forums! If you've sent logs over to Support and they're not seeing anything, it's going to be pretty tough to diagnose since you're on custom hardware. Lots of folks run it on those little Protectli boxes, but there's not much I can offer about your device since it's not one of ours. Super-helpful reply, Chad..cool story.

Random UVM restarts are usually associated with .crash files in /var/log/uvm

And .crash files are almost always defective hardware. There are exceptions, but they aren't common.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Hi,

I am not running any vpn on the firewall however i do use open vpn to connect to my work network through the firewall.

Thank you all. I have now reinstalled for the third time and will see how it goes.

There are crash logs when it happens but but not sure how to interpret them.

I suppose my issue is that i had another firewall provider on there for 3 weeks and not one issue which is why i am surprised by the hardware comment, being that if it was hardware it would affect any install not just one product.

I have 2 ideas moving forward. if it doesn't stablise.

1 which i do not want to do but is try another 3rd party software on it for a period of time to prove not hardware but specific to untangle.

2 move untangle to another box (which defeats the point of buying this box for it as it was recommended for this purpose).

Thanks all

If I were to make a wild stab... I'd say your hard disk is failing / defective. SSD storage faults like RAM, and testing it is really hard.

OPNSense / PFSense do not impact the disk nearly as much as Untangle does, as Untangle's database based reporting is not only more complete, but offers advanced visualization too. So you need a reliable disk, and you just don't have it if you're corrupting installations.

It's possible you have a driver issue too, because BSD isn't Linux. But typically that reality runs in reverse, Linux is more compatible than BSD.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com