Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Latency/Bufferbloat on Gigabit Connection

Hi,

I've been an Untangle user for a few years now and haven't had many issues (it just works ).

That said, I came across a strange issue while getting our office set back up for users to return...

Using Untangle right out of the box (no apps, no QoS) we are seeing high latency on Teams and Xbox Live. Not sure exactly what dslreports.com's speedtest has in correlation with Teams and Xbox but they all three show bad latency (and even a rating of F for bufferbloat on dslreports). We have 1 gigabit symmetrical internet connection from our ISP. ONT between fiber and Untangle (no routing from ONT). Working with UT Support, we found that if we enable QoS/ Bandwidth Control and set in/out bandwidth at 180/180mbits, the issue goes away... Support has been looking into it but no leads so far. Have tried fq_codel and other modes but it doesn't seem to make a difference when trying to get to 1 gigabit symmetrical speeds through Untangle without issue.

I know that our hardware is good, it's an official Untangle appliance (u500). I have tried running pfSense and OPNsense on it just to test/verify components and no issues when running that software. Tried swapping Ethernet cables and even re-installed Untangle several times to rule out config. As mentioned, this issue occurs even when only DHCP is active (no apps). On the most current build (16.2).

Anyone ever heard of or experienced this issue?
    Last edited by b.bowie; 02-24-2021 at 03:37 PM.

When did these issues start? And where are you located?

Because I've been having all sorts of random problems with Teams since the snow hit TX.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I don't recall these issues happening pre-COVID (or at least I wasn't aware of them). Have been troubleshooting for the better part of 45 days now, issue is consistent. We're in Cincinnati, OH.
    Last edited by b.bowie; 02-24-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Untangler

Shame they never took this offer up. https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...ncy-management Might be just what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by b.bowie View Post
    I don't recall these issues happening pre-COVID (or at least I wasn't aware of them). Have been troubleshooting for the better part of 45 days now, issue is consistent. We're in Cincinnati, OH.
    I'm aware of substantial issues on AT&T's fiber network in both Chicago and Detroit. If you're on that backbone, or using a provider that's dependent on it... you might just be suffering from congestion issues up there.

1gbit connection doesn't mean much with the backbones in the state they're in today... But that feels wrong in this case.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

^ Still it doesn't seem to explain why the problem goes away when using non-Untangle software.

I would try using older versions of Untangle. Specifically, the version that you were in prior to shutting down last year.

I agree, the backbone issues are omnipresent... but they don't explain what's going on here. The hardware is certainly gigabit capable too, and Untangle's system requirements went down, not up.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Thanks for the comments, all. I tried different Untangle versions over the weekend (going back to 15 and 14) with no luck on getting better bufferbloat and latency results. Still able to set QoS to 180/180mbit and experience better service for wired and wireless clients which is really frustrating We've tried two different ISPs (Cincinnati Bell and Spectrum) and the results are the same. FWIW, I even tried Untangle at home on custom hardware (server) and saw the issue there too (on 1gigabit down and 250 mbit up).

UT support is still looking into it but it they haven't had success replicating the issue on their end yet.

Anyone successfully using Untangle with gigabit speeds? Curious what results others are getting on DSLReport's speed test http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Untangler

I have a 1G sym fiber connection, no tweaks, and I'm seeing 535M down, 943M up, and C for buffer bloat. 18 mSec pings
    b.bowie likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by b.bowie View Post
    Thanks for the comments, all. I tried different Untangle versions over the weekend (going back to 15 and 14) with no luck on getting better bufferbloat and latency results. Still able to set QoS to 180/180mbit and experience better service for wired and wireless clients which is really frustrating We've tried two different ISPs (Cincinnati Bell and Spectrum) and the results are the same. FWIW, I even tried Untangle at home on custom hardware (server) and saw the issue there too (on 1gigabit down and 250 mbit up).

UT support is still looking into it but it they haven't had success replicating the issue on their end yet.

Anyone successfully using Untangle with gigabit speeds? Curious what results others are getting on DSLReport's speed test http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I'm also having issues with Untangle and Gigabit internet. I also have to set QoS really really low for it to affect bufferbloat and latency in a positive way. Speeds with QoS in general for me are also ~200mb slower than what is set in QoS until it is set to something 500mb or lower.

None of these issues occur with pfSense/OPNsense or Sophos XG. But, nothing offers Untangle's feature set and ease of use along with UPnP for the various gaming consoles in the house.
    b.bowie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast