Untangler

Default Port negotiation issue

Got an issue on some hardware at the moment that I'm 99.9% certain it's a hardware fault, but essentially I have a 4 Port Pondesk device and the 1st interface won't negotiate at 1Gb. I've check and changed various things on the switch and Untangle advance configuration. Setting the speed manually on both sides, setting the switch to auto and hardware device to 1GB/FD, change the port, changed the network cable. Still refuses to negotiate at 1Gb, the other interfaces and switch ports all negotiate fine.

I'm planning on an Untangle re-install tonight, but is there anything else in the config to check? If the rebuild doesn't change anything I'll be raising a RMA with the retailer.

Auto-negotiation can be fickle specially at the higher end across hardware vendors (netgear NIC to Cisco router, for example). I suggest using a set NIC speed on both sides.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I've set NIC speed on both sides before with other servers, used to part of a build standard at a large corp I worked at years ago.

The install I have atm had been fine with everything on auto, but now no matter what it won't negotiate at 1Gb etc. Will explore more this even / install something else on the unit to test etc.

1gb isn't "high performance" anymore. If you've got a 1gb device that doesn't work on auto, and others that do... my assumption is that cable and the rest are duplicated on the other ports. Which is to say, you have 4 ports on a device, 3 of them will accept a given cable / device and sync up to 1gbit, and the 4th will not... the problem is with that 4th device.

Could be a bad port on the device, that port should be using a different network chipset, something... but it's the hardware that's doing it, not the software.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

After jumping through the various hoops requested by the retailer (putting Windows 10 on it...) and then putting Untangle back on, no change and I'm insisting on a RMA.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
    After jumping through the various hoops requested by the retailer (putting Windows 10 on it...) and then putting Untangle back on, no change and I'm insisting on a RMA.
    Yeah if you slapped another OS on it and had the same problem, that's the final nail in the platform has a bad port on it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yeah if you slapped another OS on it and had the same problem, that's the final nail in the platform has a bad port on it.
    Absolutely.

Yes I've pinned switch ports and server NICs before, but not had to do that for a while in the work place. Think last time I had probs and we pinned both sides was on a Foundry Networks.

I've got a pair of Cisco Nexus 9K switches to install in the coming weeks with a new stack of HPE ProLiant servers (ESX/iSCSI),so we'll see what I do on that one. Mixture of 10 and 25Gb interfaces via OM4/SFP+/SFP28 connection.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
    Absolutely.

Yes I've pinned switch ports and server NICs before, but not had to do that for a while in the work place. Think last time I had probs and we pinned both sides was on a Foundry Networks.

I've got a pair of Cisco Nexus 9K switches to install in the coming weeks with a new stack of HPE ProLiant servers (ESX/iSCSI),so we'll see what I do on that one. Mixture of 10 and 25Gb interfaces via OM4/SFP+/SFP28 connection.
    Yes, that pattern is normal now on 25 and 40gbit stuff. But these days automatic generally works on 10gbit down. There are a few cases where you have to go manual on 10gbit still... but that's the exception. You should NEVER have to muck with 1gbit. That's the old boring always working Ethernet now.

Unless... you wind up with an interface that's electrically incompatible... but that only happens when you don't use a switch. 10gbit generally just works as long as it's fiber too. Copper at those speeds gets... strange. More so as they get faster.
    NexgenAppliances.com