Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10G routing

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by tjk View Post
    Also curious, what opensource RMM product are you using, and I assume you like it based on your comments?
    I've had a play with something called Tactical RMM, not bad imho.

tjk
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    I've had a play with something called Tactical RMM, not bad imho.
    Cool, will take a look. I'm just tech curious, we are not your traditional MSP (end point, etc), we are a hosting provider and have multiple data centers where we run servers and private clouds.

I'm a supporter of, and involved with the development of TRMM (Tactical RMM). No actual code from me other than a few scripts, I'm a testing surface during the alpha. It's got some cooking to do before it's ready for prime time, a real code certificate and a code audit... But, as it's built on Django and Mesh Commander, it doesn't have far to go on those fronts. It is NOT what I'm using in production, but I hope to use it in production long term.

So if you check out TRMM, You'll find a familiar handle in their Discord. So thanks Armshouse for mentioning it. I didn't because again... it's alpha. It's GREAT, but... alpha. And one must beware something that has God level access to all your things!

P.S. Poke... Untangle Dev team... rebuilding NGFW's UI on Django would do wonders...
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-11-2021 at 10:06 AM.
    tjk and Armshouse like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    P.S. Poke... Untangle Dev team... rebuilding NGFW's UI on Django would do wonders...
    All of our products will be shifting to a UI similar to the new Command Center UI. https://forums.untangle.com/announce...-redesign.html
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    All of our products will be shifting to a UI similar to the new Command Center UI. https://forums.untangle.com/announce...-redesign.html
    It's not the aesthetics... it's the code quality. The Untangle UI runs commands directly against the OS and therefore needs ROOT access to the OS to do its job.

That's BAD, Django forces the dev to use a proper API implementation. I don't consider it much of a security risk on Untangle because all admins have root. But it would be nice to have non-root users... and that's what has to change to allow it. You guys have been really quiet for the last while, so I assumed you had something big in the works. A massive UI revamp would do it!

I really wish I could code worth a crap... because there is so much I want to do. But despite my best efforts over 30 years, programming just doesn't work for me on that scale.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Forgive me, but I'm not in the habit of giving away trade secrets, much less in public. I have an MSP to operate as well and what you're asking is really privileged information.
    I dont think they were asking for trade secrets as much as what you were using for tools.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by NW4FUN View Post
    Hello,

My ISP is upping my DIA from 1G/1G to 10G/......
    FWIW... I have a post in the hardware group of my real world results regarding hardware we use at two of our datacenters.

Quote Originally Posted by agit8or View Post
    I dont think they were asking for trade secrets as much as what you were using for tools.
    Combinations of tools are trade secrets, each MSP stack is unique.

Also, since a quick google can find my MSP based on my name alone... Knowing what I'm using for an RMM in production gives you knowledge you can use to focus on my business. There's HUGE MONEY going into mining this information so the RMM itself can be cracked. Why? Because it's a single penetration to get God level access to the entire fleet of machines for the MSP and all their clientele.

Anyone that owns an MSP giving up specifically what RMM they're using is a tremendous risk. I've basically told the world I'll be using Tactical in the future, that's bad enough. But, in this case the name needs to get out there because open source, good dev practiced, well supported RMM is something the industry desperately needs. There simply isn't anything on the shelf that fits that description.

But, it doesn't matter much because the direction I'm taking will ultimately result in my MSP being RMM'less. Azure is a gateway to all kinds of magic.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I mean... I've owned my MSP for 21 years. I work with other MSPs and even collaborate with them. We even resell services to other MSPs. ::shocked face:: We dont hide our tools or even our processes. There are enough customers for all of us, not to mention some customers just arent a good fit sometimes for OUR business model, so I'd rather hand them off to another MSP. I mean we've used CW Manage and Automate for the last 8 or so years, not sure why that would be top secret.

Tactical has a long way to go but looks promising. As far as Azure and being worried about secret sauce, that's ironic since MS has a long history of poaching clients from any data they get access to. I like to give MS as little business as possible as their goals have no concern for the reseller.
    tjk likes this.

You... you said Automate... you said it...

That Frankenstein's monster of horrendous proportion that exists in a perpetual state of tremendous risk for all of your customers...

And while you're using that mess, you're forced to write scripts in that abortion they call a scripting language that's like working with Borland Turbo Basic from the late 80s! And use that control panel that's only slightly slower than Untangle's old JAVA configuration interface from 5.0!

I'm going to go melt in a corner and sob now... Congrats, you broke me!

Ok... dramatization over Manage is OK... Control is bloody amazing... But Automate? Ugh... CW needs to throw that mess away and start over from scratch! As far as I'm concerned aside from the missing user level access controls TRMM is ALREADY superior to Automate. I can PowerShell what I need easily and schedule it. Automate exists due to inertia at this point not due to its actual benefits. And the darned sales guys won't stop calling me! And don't get me started on all the patches they've put out that haven't plugged the security holes in the last year alone... ugh. It's a miracle we all haven't been hit harder in this space.

That's why I'm looking to use Power Apps, Power Automate, inTune, and anything else I can get my hands on to be RMM'less as soon as I can. I'm a one man shop and I swear all I do anymore is read security reports for my RMM!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-12-2021 at 09:52 AM.
    agit8or likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast