Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10G routing

Master Untangler

LMAO! I'd agree with alot of that, however I havent seen anything good enough to make me invest the time to switch yet. Personally I dont care for CW Automate OR Manage. We have owned CW Control licenses before CW owned it. I'm sure they will screw it up eventually too. We waste more time training new employees on CW than anything. Lets not even discuss Webroot.

That being said, for me to switch would take a lot of motivation. I have yet to see a PSA and RMM product that tick all the boxes. Last thing I want to do is code something else or have two products (Like Automate and Manage) that aren't tightly integrated. Syncro looks decent... Atera was MEH last time I checked it out... Ninja is fair... There was another new one I forgot, but was mostly for PSA and had to use another product for RMM. Next switch I invest that much time into, it will be able to do everything I want.

Oh certainly, but that places you're in is the only reason CW Automate still makes money. It's 100% inertia, because one does not simply replace their RMM or their PSA, or whatever modern amalgamation of both you're currently working with!

Ninja and Syncro don't do much more than what TRMM does currently, well... except the billing automation. I don't have a great solution for that aspect, but I'm still not using a PSA because every one I've tried cost me more time than it saved. BUT... I am getting to where most PSA functionality is being handled via PowerApps in M365 so I'm not convinced I should chase that particular rabbit... Microsoft's got an ecosystem here that's almost infinitely deep if you're creative about it.

Because that's the other angle here... how much time will you spend? My primary issue with all of the commercially available PSAs and RMMs is they cost too much for the time they save. They simply aren't driving value, not for you... or your clientele. And if we aren't doing the latter, we're dying.

But to bring this back around on topic, that's why I still try to sell Untangle despite losing almost every opportunity in the last 18 months... It's cheaper than the time it costs to use anything from the competition. But my customers want cheap, so that's what they get... and technically that's better for me because I get to bill more hours supporting junk. Doesn't make me happy about it... but that's what I'm working with.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

We use way too much PSA functionality in CW to just drop it. Our billing and customer correspondence is too automated. Payments, customer portal, etc. Given your stance with most big box PSA/RMM, I'm surprised you are so pro MS. We sell very little O365/Exchange subscriptions. I dont get behind supporting MS as they not only poach customers, but have literally zero concern for resellers. Everything they have to offer can be replaced with open source and other applications.

I'm surprised you're losing money on UT. We sell our own hardware as a service with licenses and make good margin. Almost everything we sell anymore is a service...

Master Untangler

Also... as youre involved with TRMM, is integrated AV on the roadmap?

There is no roadmap, as for integration that's a relative thing. We just got custom fields for the clients, so the next push is to get the API online to allow scripts running on the client to fill them. Once that's done, "integrated" AV can be accomplished via automation policy and the appropriate script.

And we're going to have to agree to disagree on M365 / Microsoft. Because I do not think it's currently possible to replicate Azure / M365 with open source solutions... not even close. You can get basic functionality sure, but that's not the space I'm focused on.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-12-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Is Automate the old Labtech?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfirex View Post
    Is Automate the old Labtech?
    Yes, Labtech was bought by Connectwise the MSP before they spun off the brand to just the tools for MSPs. That spin off is now owned by Thoma Bravo... along with Barracuda, Bomgar, Continuum Digicert and a hoard of other places.

I just noticed Thoma Bravo owns McAfee... that's... a little too appropriate... They also own Sonicwall AND Sophos.

*Edit* I didn't know that continuum had MERGED with Connectwise... things are just getting more fun the further I dig into this thing.

Some of the above is wrong, Sonicwall "exited", so a few of these places are free of this particular money pit.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-12-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    No, I don't. And your expectations are utterly bonkers. Just because you're in a "home" environment doesn't change the fundamental requirements of the software and the nature of the work you're doing. There's a reason why every other UTM that does this work offloads all of it to the cloud somewhere. The fact that Untangle doesn't is part of its primary value, but that change comes with a direct cost in hardware.

Besides, I HIGHLY doubt that i5 of your has the PCIe lanes to handle 10gbit interfacing at all. Also, what are you using for storage? SATA is 1gbit... How are you going to log 10gbit worth of traffic with 1gbit to the disk? Untangle's reporting, is amazing and yet a huge technical liability here.

You haven't even gotten started on the problem yet... but you will see it clearly if you attempt it.
    Funny 😆 how you’re belittling my current HW (which I may upgrade IF needed) whilst YOU are trying to sell lower spec’d appliance with a 10G card?? https://nexgenappliances.com/ng-1000...all-appliance/

Thanks for NOT helping anyone mr. inflated ego who thinks to know it all!

Quote Originally Posted by NW4FUN View Post
    Funny �� how you’re belittling my current HW (which I may upgrade IF needed) whilst YOU are trying to sell lower spec’d appliance with a 10G card?? https://nexgenappliances.com/ng-1000...all-appliance/

That appliance can actually saturate the 10gbit NICs due to massively enhanced PCIe bus lanes on the mainboard. Something you can only get with specialized appliance hardware.

But, you're misunderstanding something... I'm not trying to sell anything. And no, that appliance is NOT my first grab for 10gbit. That's the entry level device that sniffs at it, it can't really pull it off full time.

But what do I know, I've only been selling hardware that supports Untangle for 10 years. This response is why I stopped answering hardware questions on this forum. All I did was use a decade of my life to shine a light on your future hardships if you keep walking this road, and you take it as some sort of insult. So whatever, enjoy your fun!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-16-2021 at 07:52 AM.
    atomicboy likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by NW4FUN View Post
    In case you haven't noticed this is a fairly friendly forum. At least compared to many. How many have you helped?
    atomicboy likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast