Untanglit

Default Lite vs Non-Lite versions of Apps

Sorry for the untangle newbie question.

I have an NG Firewall Complete subscription and see that there are some apps available in Lite versions when there is also a non-lite version also available.

It is my understanding that the lite versions are the "free" versions for users that have not paid for a particular app. Since I have all apps available to me, should I be using ONLY the non-lite versions?

Is there any time where I would want to use both the lite and the non-lite versions of the same app at the same time? Or use the lite version instead of the non-lite version of any particular app?

Virus Blocker vs Virus Blocker Lite use two different virus scanners so both is probably best. The rest of the paid vs free should always use the paid version only.
    CMcNaughton likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

You guys are both "JC", so I'm gonna say "welcome" to Mr. Bond..

I think the only Lite app that has much value otherwise can be Application Control Lite...on occasion, you may need an application signature that's not yet available in the DB that Application Control (paid) uses. You can use AppCon Lite to create custom signatures. It's not super-simple, but it's a good workaround sometimes. Okay, that's my $.02.......

Untanglit

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I used to get value from Web Filter Lite. It allowed me to inherit the main Web Filter configuration into child racks/policies, and then additional block a page or domain based on URL for just that rack without rebuilding the whole thing. Sadly, this is gone now.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

I use Web Monitor on some policies where I want Web Filter to keep an eye on things, but never actually be able to block stuff. It also gives me a report that only collects data for just that thing.

Because getting reports to limit its conditions such that I only get stuff flowing through a specific policy has never worked for me.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Virus Blocker vs Virus Blocker Lite use two different virus scanners so both is probably best.
    The one caveat I'd throw in here is that VBL is a pretty big RAM hog, running around 600 MB by itself. If you've got a fairly low-specced hardware platform — say, 2 GB of physical RAM — VBL might cause performance issues that aren't worth the additional scanning/definitions.

Untanglit

Thank you for bringing your expertise to this conversation.