Default DNS Server Wildcard Entry?

Hi all,

I recently added an nginx reverse proxy on my internal network to help simply accessing things running on docker. I have a registered domain “mydomain.com” that I use internally for it. When I was using pihole before I could have and entry *.mydomain.com -> <docker server ip> and in the nginx rp I would have entries like home.mydomain.com -> <docker server up>:<port of specific server>.

Can someone help me figure out how to add the *.mydomain.com entry in untangle’s dns server that points to the IP address of my docker server?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by cpmiller22 View Post
    Hi all,

Can someone help me figure out how to add the *.mydomain.com entry in untangle’s dns server that points to the IP address of my docker server?

Thanks!

You don't need this. I presume you own a domain. You need a cname in domain control panel.
    What you need on Untangle is port forward rule. TCP port 443 to the IP address of nginx and port. All the rest is configured in reverse proxy. Are you using unRAID with docker container? Is Nginx in docker container and which one (Swag, Nginx Proxy Manager, ...)?
    Last edited by soldier; 06-07-2021 at 06:39 AM.

No... he needs exactly what he asked for. The port forward rule is useless unless the end point can resolve the IP addresses correctly.

Untangle's DNS tab is only good for singular lookups, but DNSMasq can do what you need, heck... it's the same service the PiHole uses!

config -> Networking -> Advanced -> DNS & DCHP

Use this:

Code:
    address=/.domain.tld/10.10.10.1
    Change the domain and IP address as needed. Do NOT make any other changes, spaces are bad, and yes that leading . is important!

Screw this up, and DNSMasq will crash, disabling DNS and DHCP services on your Untangle. Remove the offending line and saving again will restart it.
    cpmiller22 likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    No... he needs exactly what he asked for. The port forward rule is useless unless the end point can resolve the IP addresses correctly.

Untangle's DNS tab is only good for singular lookups, but DNSMasq can do what you need, heck... it's the same service the PiHole uses!

config -> Networking -> Advanced -> DNS & DCHP

Use this:

Code:
    address=/.domain.tld/10.10.10.1
    Change the domain and IP address as needed. Do NOT make any other changes, spaces are bad, and yes that leading . is important!

Screw this up, and DNSMasq will crash, disabling DNS and DHCP services on your Untangle. Remove the offending line and saving again will restart it.
    Thanks for the reply that was exactly what I was looking for.