Master Untangler

Default DNS settings not working correctly on WAN connection?

It appears that 1.1.1.1 went down for us today, however, 9.9.9.9 was working.

The issue is that rather than using 9.9.9.9 it seems that Untangle just stopped performing DNS lookups.

Is there anything that I can look to try to troubleshoot this?
    Last edited by jlficken; 06-24-2021 at 08:11 AM.

DNS lookups are round-robin, not failover.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Sorry for wording it incorrectly.

At any rate I had 1.1.1.1 in the Primary DNS Server of the WAN connection and 9.9.9.9 in the Secondary DNS Server. When 1.1.1.1 went down we lost all DNS lookup ability. I suppose it could be possible that they went down at the same time but I find it unlikely.

Is there a way to test that the lookups are working? Could I block the primary DNS server via the Firewall to make sure the secondary works as a test?

Master Untangler

Or is there a log of failed DNS lookups anywhere that states which DNS server failed?

Master Untangler

Yeah it's not working.

I just changed the Primary DNS server back to 1.1.1.1 and everything stopped even though 9.9.9.9 is working. Since 1.1.1.1 is down but 1.0.0.1 is up I changed the Primary to 1.0.0.1 and everything started resolving again.

Master Untangler

Why aren’t you using the standard dns for your provider on untangle, and having dhcp serve up 8.8.8.8, et all to the devices? I have untangle serve up about 6 or 8 dns entries ��*♂️

Untangler

You can test dns on linux or untangle. Of course if you have untangle support that will void it. LOL
    Code:
    nslookup whatever.com 1.1.1.1
    Change whatever,com and 1.1.1.1 to something meaningful. Not sure if it might also work on windows.

You could also setup a pihole as your dns server. Works graet as a vm.
    Last edited by donhwyo; 06-30-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Untangler

as flynhawaiian mentioned, just use your ISP's DNS and call it a day. Have benchmarked around 200+ public DNS, and my ISP and opendns is the fastest. Everybody and their dog says 1.1.1.1 is the fastest, which is true for the vast majority, but not necessarily unless you benchmark it yourself.

Since i'm using good quality ISP, one benefit is they employ CDN which means the DNS redirects say, netflix local cache instead of going a long way to New York to get your movies. Your ISP may likely do that as well.

Now, if you really want a failover dns, have mentioned this in the forum that you can use "all-servers" as a dnsmasq option in untangle. it will query your primary and secondary and use the one who responds back the fastest. if 1.1.1.1 is not responding or slow, dnsmasq will not use it and use the other one. As far as i know, only dnsmasq can do this unlike unbound, bind, etc.

Untangler

You can test dns with this. https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm Have to install it on windows so I don't use it anymore but it used to work well.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    You can test dns with this. https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm Have to install it on windows so I don't use it anymore but it used to work well.
    yes, this is the one i use too. run the benchmark every few days for 6 months and it's always consistent.