Untangler

Default Xbox problem cloud services since 16.3 Update

I have never had an issue with Xbox and their game services being filtered though the firewall and bandwidth control under my "appliances" policy stack. Since the update to 16.3 some games services that use Azure back ends are seeing failures due to timeout in the connection and multiple retires with the time outs. Looking at my logs I see the connections and I can reliably reproduce this with a game called HITMAN 3 where it goes to services via the server name of: dkcdc01.corp.1o1.dk

The minute I put the xbox into bypass the game works great. When I remove it from bypass the errors start happening again.

I only have very simple rules for that application stack firewall and bandwidth control rules. The firewall rules just isolate the appliances to talk to it's local network and the internet and cannot traverse into other VLAN's. And for the bandwidth control it sets QOS to High for xboxes.

Again this didn't start happening until the 16.3 update. Any suggestions on how this can be resolved?

Untangler

If you look at the connection specifics in sessions, it will show which apps are processing the traffic.

That's where i would start looking for clues.

Untangler

I already tried the process of elimination. I only have two apps on that policy stack, bandwidth control and firewall. To diagnose I turned off firewall first and the problem persisted, then I turned firewall back on and turned off bandwidth control and the problem persisted, I turned off both firewall and bandwidth control and the problem persisted. When looking at the session specifics nothing shows up that would be impeding the traffic. Then I moved the xbox's to bypass and they worked fine. The issue seems to be with Untangle application stack. And this started after I received the last software update.

Then bypass the XBox? Because it's long been recommended to bypass game consoles around here.

As to the specific nature of the problem who knows. But honestly I'm more inclined to blame Microsoft than Untangle. This sort of thing generally means someone decided to use non-RFC characters in an HTTPs stream somewhere. What's the point of standards if the big vendors simply ignore them?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I would be blaming the 1o1 the maker of the game itself. They are the ones that stand up their servers and API's. All other games work fine except for theirs. And forget about support from them I opened a ticket last week and still no reply.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Then bypass the XBox? Because it's long been recommended to bypass game consoles around here.
    This, I always recommend bypassing consoles, I even bypass my desktop for gaming purposes on my home device because i don't want added latency from layer 7 filtering.

Untangler

Well I did get a response from 1o1 after offering them the ability to look into on their end:

Hi Adrian,

So far my investigation has shown that your messages to/from your cloud servers are not compatible with my firewall and L7 filtering. I have been running Untangle firewall for 3 years and this is the first time I have found a game that would be impacted by a firewall stack with my XBox devices.

At this time I had to create a rule on my firewall to bypass all protocol checking to get the game to work again. You may want to do some investigation and I can provide any assistance you need to work though this.

And this was the response:

Hey Ron,

I'm glad to hear the issue was resolved! If you run into any further issues, you know where to find us. In the meantime I'll be closing out your ticket but have yourself a neat rest of the day!

All the best,

Turned tail and ran

Because support for most places is boils down to the binary of "does it work?" Not "does it work well?", or "does it work as it should?". Just... "Does it work?"

In a world of near infinite edge cases, tier 1 exists only to make you go away.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com