Thread: WAN DHCP renew?

Default WAN DHCP renew?

Searched for this but came up empty...

Where I live, continuous electrical power to my home apaprently is very difficult to achieve for my power company.

When I experience a power outage, my Untangle box (router mode - Home Basic) boots faster than my ISP modem so I end up with no Internet connectivity until I login to the config and hit 'Renew DHCP Lease' on my WAN interface.

So some questions:
    - Is there a way to 'pause' Untangle boot up for say for 120 seconds so it doesn't get ahead of the modem
    - Or, short of a rebooting script, can I run a dhclient in a script to reset my WAN interface (eth0)
    - Or, anything simpler?

I'd appreciate any pointers or leads.

Thanks

Untangle doesn't have one. Not outside of SSH anyway, and even then it's easier to simply reboot Untangle.

I suggest a UPS.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

First option is UPS, as suggested above... especially if it's just a relatively short power outage.

But to tackle your issue head-on, you can use a power on delay plug, typically used with refrigerators so that the compressor doesn't burn up during a brownout or a short blackout. Simply put, it adds a 3 to 4- minute delay to any device you plug into it. So if your Untangle is behind it, your modem will be given at least a 3-minute head start before Untanlge boots up.

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Prote..._t1_B00JBMSHBC

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    First option is UPS, as suggested above... especially if it's just a relatively short power outage.

But to tackle your issue head-on, you can use a power on delay plug, typically used with refrigerators so that the compressor doesn't burn up during a brownout or a short blackout. Simply put, it adds a 3 to 4- minute delay to any device you plug into it. So if your Untangle is behind it, your modem will be given at least a 3-minute head start before Untanlge boots up.

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Prote..._t1_B00JBMSHBC
    Thanks for posting this.

I had not seen them.

Back in the day, short power blinks would kill more HVAC systems than anything else. The compressor has an internal overload, but repeated trips would cook the compressor. It could not restart with high head pressure.

Thanks oj88 - this is exactly the solution I needed.

This combined with a ping / connectivity checking - three strikes then 'reboot' - cron job will work perfectly.