Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default ios devices connected to wifi connected to Untangle loose battery fast

Hi

I'm posting here an issue already reported to support directly, in the hope that somebody has any additional idea:

My ios devices are connected to a wlan (devolo wifi/powerline adapters connected to LAN and passing thru Untangle). I have this config for years, without issues.
    For a few weeks now I have noticed that they loose battery fast when I'm at home connected to the above. I have not been able to pinpoint this as I have been checking on the ios end.
    BUT the problem seems to be Untangle, as when I connect to IP provider modem wlan (WLAN in Untangle) they no longer loose battery at that fast rate (7% in 1hr or more).
    I have tried to bypass all traffic of the ios devices on Untangle by creating a bypass rule in Config-Network. But his did not help. They loose battery the same.
    Only when I connect to the Untangle wifi, which now is bridged to the provider WLAN or the respective wlan of the provider router does the battery not drain.
    I'm at a loss to understand what is happening, as this has been working for ages. This seems to have started with some Untangle update.

Any help is appreciated as to fix the battery drain on my ios devices I have to bypass Untangle altogether, which goes against why I use it in the 1st place.

Master Untangler

Just to clear up a bit more:

The protecli device I'm running untangle on has 7 lan ports + 1 wifi.
    port 1 is WLAN (connected to IP provider modem), port 2 is LAN connected to switch.
    If I bridge the wifi to the LAN and connect ios the batteries drain fast (7% per hr or more). Or connect to my devolo powerline/wifi adapters connected to LAN.
    If I bridge the wifi to the WLAN (IP provider modem) and connect my ios devices the batteries last for days.

Untangler

I have the 4 port protecli without the wifi card. I use Unifi for my switching and AP's. I haven't seen this most of my wifi devices show low power mode in the Unifi controller when idle. All I can think of is something is preventing low power mode to be used when bridged. Just a question have you tried not to use "bridge" and just create the wlan as it's own subnet?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by RonV42 View Post
    I have the 4 port protecli without the wifi card. I use Unifi for my switching and AP's. I haven't seen this most of my wifi devices show low power mode in the Unifi controller when idle. All I can think of is something is preventing low power mode to be used when bridged. Just a question have you tried not to use "bridge" and just create the wlan as it's own subnet?
    Sorry but this doesn't seem to help. Using the internal wifi as bridged serves just as a test because the issue is the same when i connect via external wifi adapters connected to the internal LAN.

The issue is: connected to internal LAN looses battery. Connected to external WAN does not.
    Last edited by manilx; 07-20-2021 at 06:13 AM.

It's an app on your device, something is getting blocked by Untangle and the app is going nuts trying to connect. Figuring out which app it is isn't going to be trivial... Because it's obviously something that's puking just because Untangle exists, not because it's being actively blocked. So you won't have logs on Untangle to really see.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I don't think so. Because the app would be indicated with excess battery drain on ios. And there isn't one. Also the apps on various ios devices are not the same and they have all the same behaviour.
    Apart from this as I'm now connected via wifi bridged to wlan the traffic is passing the same thru Untangle and is being checked (web site blocked, Application control blocking etc).
    This must not be it.

I'm afraid that's not true, because the apps indicated on the phone are the 3rd party apps. But there are other apps that are a portion of the OS itself that aren't separated.

Untangle cannot tell your device to consume more power. Your device is deciding to do that based on something Untangle is doing, but it's obviously low level because bypass didn't fix it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I'm afraid that's not true, because the apps indicated on the phone are the 3rd party apps. But there are other apps that are a portion of the OS itself that aren't separated.

Untangle cannot tell your device to consume more power. Your device is deciding to do that based on something Untangle is doing, but it's obviously low level because bypass didn't fix it.
    If it is so lowlevel than this would explain it yes. Fact is I never ever had this issue with Untangle before. It started with one of the last couple of updates and as it is I have no chance to find out what it is because it is not shown on ios and no logs on Untangle.

Quote Originally Posted by manilx View Post
    If it is so lowlevel than this would explain it yes. Fact is I never ever had this issue with Untangle before. It started with one of the last couple of updates and as it is I have no chance to find out what it is because it is not shown on ios and no logs on Untangle.
    I think you're blaming the wrong update. Untangle likely didn't change anything. What's far more likely is Apple is doing something that's not standard again...

I don't have any Apple devices in my care to test with, otherwise I'd go check. I know my Pixel has had intermittent issues with battery drain, but every time that's cropped up a reboot of the device has fixed it. Regardless, nothing a router or WAP should be doing should cause a mobile device to suck its battery that hard. And if that's actually possible, the fault still lies with the device itself. Because you cannot control the conditions of the networks your mobile device attaches to!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I think you're blaming the wrong update. Untangle likely didn't change anything. What's far more likely is Apple is doing something that's not standard again...

I don't have any Apple devices in my care to test with, otherwise I'd go check. I know my Pixel has had intermittent issues with battery drain, but every time that's cropped up a reboot of the device has fixed it. Regardless, nothing a router or WAP should be doing should cause a mobile device to suck its battery that hard. And if that's actually possible, the fault still lies with the device itself. Because you cannot control the conditions of the networks your mobile device attaches to!
    You might be right there obviously. I also found it very strange and inexplicable!
    Whatever the cause I'm unable to fix it only workaround it. because my iphone lost 4% of its battery capacity the last couple of weeks because of this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast