Default New User - Port Forwarding

I installed Untangle on my own box.

The Untangle Box is at a datacenter with a public IP, behind the Untangle Box I have a single server connected.

I'm trying to forward an RDP connection using port 8181 (I changed this from the default on the server and have verified I can log on using this port).

I've attached screen shot of my setup in Untangle. Places were my public IP is used, I've pixeled it out and used 1.2.3.4

01.png = Firewall Rule allowing port 8181
    02.png = Network setup
    03.png= Port forward attempts. I left all the different ways I tried.

I've searched the forum, read and tried the recommendations, but still no luck.

* On my server I have 4 network ports, port 0 is using it's own public IP OUTSIDE the Untangle box, port 3 is coming from the Untangle box. I'm doing it this way for testing, but not sure if this is causing my problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Untangler

Hi there! Welcome to Untangle.

The Firewall application rule is unnecessary. Take a look at the other rules in the Firewall app: they're not doing anything. Those default rules are examples only; right out of the box, the Firewall app doesn't actually do anything at all.

As for the Port Forward Rules, delete all except #2, RemoteDesktop_2. That's the correct format for that port forward.

You can check Reports > Network > Port Forwarded Sessions to verify that the port forward itself is working correctly. If there's nothing in that report, then no traffic which meets the rule's criteria is arriving at the NGFW. Verify that the remote device is sending traffic to the correct IP & port.

If you do see the sessions hitting the NGFW and being forwarded, your problem is elsewhere in the network: likely the device itself is not responding to a foreign subnet or maybe a switch somewhere is interfering.

Thanks for the reply. I did are you recommended, however, there is nothing showing in the Port Forward Sessions Report. I also when to Troubleshooting, Connection Test and put in my public IP and port 8181. Returns Connection refused.

I looked at the Blocked Sessions and see my attempts, under the Filter_Prefix is says filter_blocked
    Last edited by shcsbaker; 08-02-2021 at 05:49 AM.

Untangler

filter_blocked means that the traffic is being blocked either by a Filter Rule (for traffic passing through the NGFW) or an Access Rule (for traffic destined to the NGFW itself).

I've just noticed you said this:
    On my server I have 4 network ports, port 0 is using it's own public IP OUTSIDE the Untangle box, port 3 is coming from the Untangle box. I'm doing it this way for testing, but not sure if this is causing my problem.
    What does 'public IP OUTSIDE the Untangle box' mean? If this NGFW isn't the edge device in the network — if there's another router or firewall upstream of us — Port Forward Rules aren't evaluated at all. You'd need to set up that port forwarding on the upstream device; the one that is the actual edge of the network.

port 3 is coming from the Untangle box
    Port Forward Rules aren't evaluated on outbound traffic, so you can't test a port forward from an internal device.

I disabled the port0 on the server, so the only port that is enabled in port3, which is connected to the Untangle box. Untangle box is the edge device.

How can I disable or stop the Filter Rule? I didn't setup a filter rule.

I got this working