Default Omada Controller running on Untangle

Hi All,
    I am curious if omada controller software could be instlled and ran on Untangle? I have attempted on a virtual machine, but the instalatio does not seem to remain, it would be nice to be ale to controll my Omada wireless devices from the same system

Banned

Untangle runs some lxc containers. https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/LXC You might be able to do that? I would just run it on some other machine though. Untangle changes things and might break whatever you do.

Not in any supported way, nor would I recommend it for the same reasons I do not recommend putting the Unifi controller on Untangle.
    miek_g likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Yeah, it's sort of an ongoing trend with Untangle. You have to really dig under the hood to fit a square peg into a round hole, then rinse and repeat every time an update obliterates it.

For better or for worse, Untangle really wants a closed system. It would have been nice if the "Apps" tab actually contained community-developed or even 3rd-party apps.

I have a pretty low bar... just the essentials, IMO. Maybe a HW monitor (ie. HDD health/SMART values) with some CPU/board temps and/or fan status reporting thrown in.
    soldier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Untangle runs some lxc containers. https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/LXC You might be able to do that? I would just run it on some other machine though. Untangle changes things and might break whatever you do.
    thanks donhwyo, I am going to look at that, I have a repurposed i5 with 16GB RAM, so a lot of overkill for my home network, would be nice to incorporate a WiFi controller.

a nice SNMP scanner would be a welcom addition, untangle could alert you to network issues

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miek_g View Post
    thanks donhwyo, I am going to look at that, I have a repurposed i5 with 16GB RAM, so a lot of overkill for my home network, would be nice to incorporate a WiFi controller.
    I run untangle on a proxmox server, works great. You should be able to run proxmox on that hardware. Then run a few other vm's like "Omada Controller". Not sure how many though. Trial and see until it slows down. When it breaks back off a little. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    I run untangle on a proxmox server, works great. You should be able to run proxmox on that hardware. Then run a few other vm's like "Omada Controller". Not sure how many though. Trial and see until it slows down. When it breaks back off a little. LOL
    And this is precisely why I say running things on Untangle is silly. If you want to run multiple workloads, you slap them on a hypervisor. You eliminate conflicts, gain stability, and flexibility.

The only thing that would be better is K8S... but Untangle is a bit heavy for a container. The controllers mentioned here however run wonderfully in containers. And it's no accident that Proxmox specifically supports BOTH. Ensuring the controller container doesn't interfere much with the Untangle VM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks donhwo and Ninja, I am gonig to check out the Proxmox VM solution, I did manage to get it working on a test VM using the LXC.
    the LXC does not start properly, so I need to stop the container and start the container upon a reboot. I am not a fan of having a VM hosting a Firewall and another device, but proxmon may change my mind

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miek_g View Post
    a nice SNMP scanner would be a welcom addition, untangle could alert you to network issues
    Look at librenms https://www.librenms.org/. Runs nicety as a vm on proxmox.