Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Such a setting doesn't exist!

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tun...tgreSQL_Server

The closest I can think of is shared_buffers. But seeing as how the examples I have to look at are all configured in MB and not GB, that's not really a thing.

This is the first I've heard of Untangle simply not using RAM added to a system after the fact... so consider me a skeptic.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

For VMs, the added memory is not used as it appears to be the same memory block. For physically boxes, the memory is detected since they are new memory blocks. Postgres has to be configured during setup for a specific memory footprint.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Such a setting doesn't exist!

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tun...tgreSQL_Server

The closest I can think of is shared_buffers. But seeing as how the examples I have to look at are all configured in MB and not GB, that's not really a thing.

This is the first I've heard of Untangle simply not using RAM added to a system after the fact... so consider me a skeptic.
    Shared buffers. That's the one. If you're using 9.4 or later (Untangle is) and have more than 1GB RAM, they recommend setting it to 1/4 the total system memory. Even that assumes the machine runs a shared workload (DB + web server + application). Which Untangle also does.

Having spent time previously as a full-time DBA for Sql Server, I'd also say for dedicated database servers -- where running postgresql is really the only job the machine should be doing -- you want to set this to use nearly ALL of the system memory and just subtract enough for the base OS and management sessions. Effectively, the more RAM you have here, up to the full size of the database and indexes, the less often you end up waiting on disk access to complete a query.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 09-08-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Default forums.untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    For VMs, the added memory is not used as it appears to be the same memory block. For physically boxes, the memory is detected since they are new memory blocks. Postgres has to be configured during setup for a specific memory footprint.
    So this issue started to surface for me. I'm getting a flood of these emails and mine is on a physical machine. I originally had 8GB of memory installed and the standard default swap 2GB total. To help the issue I bumped it up to 16GB RAM but the problem still persists. Untangle see's the full 16GB now but the swap is still being utilized and the warning still occurs very often. Any ideas?

This isn't 2002 anymore. It's normal for modern linux kernels to use swap all the time now.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Very insightful… anyways, it appears it just took a little while in my case to take affect as the warnings don’t seem to be flooding my inbox now.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Pincode View Post
    So this issue started to surface for me. I'm getting a flood of these emails and mine is on a physical machine. I originally had 8GB of memory installed and the standard default swap 2GB total. To help the issue I bumped it up to 16GB RAM but the problem still persists. Untangle see's the full 16GB now but the swap is still being utilized and the warning still occurs very often. Any ideas?
    short answer: increase swap from 2GB to 4GB or slightly hackish way is to change alerts from .25 to .5.

Long answer: Triggered events like swap usage is by default .25 or 25% of swap usage in untangle. In your case, 2GB swap translates to 512MB threshold. Hit the threshold or higher, untangle will alert. Doesn't matter if you have 16 or 64GB of ram. My untangle at 8GB of ram has a max swap usage once hit 100MB out of 3GB this year.

Untangler

Hi everyone,

I have 16GB of RAM on a Protectli device with 500GB mSata and an i7 processor, and I'm getting these "swap usage is high" messages too. Consensus seems to be that this is normal. As posted previously, one could change the threshold to a higher one, but Untangle must have set this 25% threshold for a reason. Is there some impact on throughput? Thanks.
    Last edited by junglechuck; 10-24-2021 at 08:07 AM.

It just means you're using 25% of your swap. How much swap a system has is determined by the volume of RAM in the machine at install. No, it's not normal at least not on my installs.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12