Untanglit

Default Pass trough network for 2nd router

How do I configure a LAN port on the router so that it acts as if its directly connected to the modem?

I frequently need to configure routers before taking on site and I would like to have a LAN port that passes by all the router and firewall functions.

Thanks!

You'd bridge the port to external.

Though to be honest I'm somewhat surprised by this process. When I need to configure a router, I plug it's WAN port into my network, behind my Untangle, and attach a laptop to the "inside" of it so I can access it and do what I need to do. There's no need to have a special port on my Untangle to do this. So I'm curious what your process is.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Yes the routers that I want to configure cant behind the firewall. Currently I have to disconnect and connect directly to the modem.

Plus there are other things I want to do behind this 2nd router that are blocked by te firewall.
    Last edited by Mac Expert; 09-27-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Then you'll not only want an interface bridged to external, but a couple of bypass rules for everything destined to, or sourced from said interface.

Or... you just simplify your life and get a cheap switch to put between your Untangle and the cable modem.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Hmm a switch before the router white the modem doesn't have DHCP and only hands out one IP address?

What ports do I need to open?
    Or what do I need to do to create a Vlan for that port while disabling all firewall / nat functions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Expert View Post
    Hmm a switch before the router white the modem doesn't have DHCP and only hands out one IP address?

What ports do I need to open?
    Or what do I need to do to create a Vlan for that port while disabling all firewall / nat functions?
    You need to make up your mind...

The ISP is running DHCP, and that's how things attached to their equipment get an address. Bridges don't have IP addresses, they don't work with IP addresses. A switch is just a multi-port bridge.

You said you wanted to be able to connect another device directly to your Internet connectivity, the switch is the easy way to do so. If your ISP won't let you have multiple devices connected... then you're back to doing what I said before about putting the device BEHIND Untangle, and dealing with the fallout from that.

If you want the device BEHIND Untangle, but you also want to ensure nothing in Untangle's apps mucks with things, then bridge an interface to Internal, configure the two suggested bypass rules for everything in / out of the interface in question, and use that. The "WAN" side of the routers you're configuring will get an IP from Untangle, and be on the LAN but not be limited by any of Untangle's apps.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Yep the ISP only gives me 1 IP address I cant even buy extra ones :-(

And indeed that's what I am asking how to configure the 2nd LAN port so nothing gets in the way for the router or other devices I want to put behind it.

Ah then, Bridge an interface to Internal, it'll get all the services Internal provides.

Then, you make two bypass rules

Source Interface: bridged interface
    Destination Interface: bridged interface

Those two rules will tell Untangle... hey... this interface over here? If stuff is coming out of it, or going to it... LEAVE IT ALONE! <Insert pic of Grandpa Simpson yelling at cloud>

Then when you need to configure something, you have that dedicated interface on Untangle to plug into as needed.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Thanks!

Any more detailed instructions for me ?