Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Things like Zerotier are installed on each device, and connect them all directly into whatever networking you configured on the platform. It doesn't fit into your map, because logically zerotier is yet another switch. So it's more like each device is now connected to two different switches, one reaches Untangle, the other doesn't.

This is advanced network engineering, so you'll forgive me for not going further. I have kids to feed after all.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

You are forgiven! Thanks for clarifying. I will look at this when I get a chance. I think I now have at least half a clue. Google will finish the rest.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    As long as you renew the current subscription, your features will not change. If you upgrade or let the current license expire, only the new package subscriptions are available for purchase.

Long and short, current subscriptions will not change.
    Not true as you cant renew the home complete anymore. Per other UT employee posts that has been EOL and will not be renewable so now i have to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by De_Lemon View Post
    Not true as you cant renew the home complete anymore. Per other UT employee posts that has been EOL and will not be renewable so now i have to upgrade.
    Since you did not mention the home package you previous had, I mistakenly assumed it was one of the previous packages. Yes, Home Complete has been EOL and it was announced sometime ago. TP is not much of an aid in home environments. It's main benefit is for protecting inbound servers.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 11-30-2021 at 09:06 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Since you did not mention the home package you previous had, I mistakenly assumed it was one of the previous packages. Yes, Home Complete has been EOL and it was announced sometime ago. TP is not much of an aid in home environments. It's main benefit is for protecting inbound servers.
    It's also great at ensuring enduring issues with RMM platforms!

But I'm really of two minds on that topic... because RMM platforms are botnets, they ARE dangerous, and perhaps we SHOULD have to do some configuration work to allow them.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I have never seen an email announcing this. Would be great if there were more clear communication on these changes other than just a forum post. As it is my price will triple this year for as you say a product i do not need.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by De_Lemon View Post
    I have never seen an email announcing this. Would be great if there were more clear communication on these changes other than just a forum post. As it is my price will triple this year for as you say a product i do not need.
    Need or use ? Do you use all the features of the Home Pro ? I sure do, one thing i couldn't live with is the Policy App.. VPN from my laptop anywhere to gain access to home network / server is a must for me.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

I wouldn't worry too much about Threat Prevention and Wireguard app.

- The main threat is bot nets, and those are shifting IP addresses like crazy these days and - as others mentioned - what are you hosting at home? I white-listed only my own country, that reduces the attack vector already a lot (and is dead simple, even on free untangle).
    - OpenVPN is good enough for the casual use and that's free, if you host something yourself or want to access your desktop try installing Tailscale - wireguard, but dead simple

Btw, I'm still on the old $50 license and it happily renews. I also got an email introducing the new licenses in case I want to upgrade.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by gphreak View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about Threat Prevention and Wireguard app.
    Btw, I'm still on the old $50 license and it happily renews. I also got an email introducing the new licenses in case I want to upgrade.
    Same here "NG Firewall Complete - Home". In fact, I opted for the monthly renewal as I felt back in the day that $50 was too cheap for what they were offering me, so I was happy to give them the extra $10 per year. I mainly use the web filters and policy manager sections to keep my kids from venturing into the bowels of the web, and to kick them offline at respectable times

Since my UT box is living in my virtual environment, I'm more than certain I pay more in electricity costs per year to keep the VM alive. I'll take a look at the new scheme, but I'm not overly fussed with what I get or don't get. I'm more concerned that 50 devices are what's considered a 'home user'.

I'd fill over half that with game consoles and tablet devices alone! Amazing how many IP addresses a house with 4 tech-savvy people can obtain!! I may have to re-evaluate my own situation when the EOL hits my renewal, hopefully, by then my teenagers won't be so vulnerable and I can relax the internet grip.

That device count limit hits businesses equally hard.

But, the thing to remember is the licensing is current usage, not total cumulative. So if you login to your Untangle, take a peek at the Network Information box on the dashboard. See that Maximum Active number? That's what you license for. Known devices is irrelevant to licensing, only currently active relative to maximum active.
    MrSaxy likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast