Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    102

    Default Changes to licensing

    Ok so i just read about the change to the licensing and I am both upset and worried. I am disabled and on fixed income so i can not afford 150 a year. The problem i see is that right now i have virus scanning and most apps as i have been subscribing for 4 years now. But i see the new plans take that away on the 50 dollar plan now. Will i loose all this function come the next renewal? I do not get why this desicion was done as taking away features but keeping the price the same is not a good model.
    Last edited by De_Lemon; 11-23-2021 at 07:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,239

    Default

    The features you're worrying about aren't all that useful for home environments.

    The malware category in WebFilter is doing literally ALL the lifting for your needs. Go check your reports you'll see it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  3. #3
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    428

    Default

    But how long will it be until they move that to the higher price level? Recent actions by Untangle are not building confidence in the company or their open source model.
    Reminds me of a Jerry Jeff Walker song.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jerr...client=gws-wiz

  4. #4
    Untangler jcoffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    9,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by De_Lemon View Post
    The problem i see is that right now i have virus scanning and most apps as i have been subscribing for 4 years now. But i see the new plans take that away on the 50 dollar plan now. Will i loose all this function come the next renewal? I do not get why this desicion was done as taking away features but keeping the price the same is not a good model.
    As long as you renew the current subscription, your features will not change. If you upgrade or let the current license expire, only the new package subscriptions are available for purchase.

    Long and short, current subscriptions will not change.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

  5. #5
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    But how long will it be until they move that to the higher price level? Recent actions by Untangle are not building confidence in the company or their open source model.
    Reminds me of a Jerry Jeff Walker song.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jerr...client=gws-wiz
    Really? How?

    Have you seen the cost of just about every other UTM on the shelf? $50 or $150 / year is peanuts. Given all the grief Untangle's getting over this stupidity if I were them I'd drop the home subs entirely. Then you can pay $270 / year for the full suite for 12 paltry devices like the rest of the mere mortals.

    Which by the way... is STILL stupid cheap.

    Not enough profit in a $50 charge to even really make it worth the time to collect it in many cases... Have you seen wages in IT over the last few years? People need to take a step back.
    skearton likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  6. #6
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Really? How?


    Not enough profit in a $50 charge to even really make it worth the time to collect it in many cases... Have you seen wages in IT over the last few years? People need to take a step back.
    If it is so expensive to collect the auto renew $50, they should give it away like most other open source projects. Many other projects are able to make it with full features. Some like Proxmox are doing well and don't have unhappy users like you see here. Their model uses free customers to test things before putting them in the stable branch. Untangle tests on paying customers. See the first release of 16.4 among others. They don't mind testing on us.

    I bought a 5 year home sub soon after they offered it. Yes it was worth it but things have been removed. It never expired. I don't have any confidence they wont remove more.

    Since word of mouth seems to be the main propagation for Untangle each disappointed customer has a much greater cost than giving away wireguard.

  7. #7
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    If it is so expensive to collect the auto renew $50, they should give it away like most other open source projects. Many other projects are able to make it with full features. Some like Proxmox are doing well and don't have unhappy users like you see here. Their model uses free customers to test things before putting them in the stable branch. Untangle tests on paying customers. See the first release of 16.4 among others. They don't mind testing on us.

    I bought a 5 year home sub soon after they offered it. Yes it was worth it but things have been removed. It never expired. I don't have any confidence they wont remove more.

    Since word of mouth seems to be the main propagation for Untangle each disappointed customer has a much greater cost than giving away wireguard.
    Proxmox isn't licensing upstream tech from closed commercial vendors to plug its gaps either. Untangle software has substantial portions of itself that doesn't belong to Untangle.

    However, you won't find me arguing relative to any of the VPN terminators, those modules need to be free to ensure proliferation in a cloud age. But given how primitive the Wireguard module is, honestly you're better off using something else. And given the nature of today, that something else is an SD-LAN product not a VPN at all. Think Nebula, OpenDaylight, Omniedge, or ZeroTierOne if you want open source stuff.

    VPN is yesterday's news, Untangle is once again... behind.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  8. #8
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Looks like zerotier is supported by openwrt. https://openwrt.org/packages/pkgdata/zerotier Since I have a wrt1900 that Untangle no longer supports sd-wan on I will try it on that. Maybe Untangle will catch up someday. Was going to do wireguard on it but this might be better? Will look at it when the snow gets deeper.
    Thanks

  9. #9
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Looks like zerotier is supported by openwrt. https://openwrt.org/packages/pkgdata/zerotier Since I have a wrt1900 that Untangle no longer supports sd-wan on I will try it on that. Maybe Untangle will catch up someday. Was going to do wireguard on it but this might be better? Will look at it when the snow gets deeper.
    Thanks
    You're still thinking about this wrong...

    SD-LAN means no VPN on the gateways at all, you install software on the endpoints themselves and that software becomes a virtual switch all devices directly access. The UTMs never actually see your traffic anymore, all they see is the SDLAN tunnel traffic all over the place.

    Which leaves you to put Untangle or whatever you want actually inspecting "egress" traffic in the cloud somewhere, and the SDLAN determines what's using it and when. Which means now your UTM is filtering all things globally, in a single installation.

    Of course because Untangle doesn't directly support this magic, you'll need a VM of some sort to terminate all of this on.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-25-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  10. #10
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Well I don't have time to deal with this now. So all I have seen is your comments. Is this what you are saying?

    Device > internet >modem > Untangle > zeroteir > lan

    Device = phone, laptop etc. Device probably needs a client software?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2