Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    22

    Default Different Method of Blocking Kids Access to Internet Based on Time

    Hello

    I am sucessfully blocking my kids devices at 10pm at night based on sending the traffic to a Kids Rack and then only have a rule, with all conditions empty (no condition), in the Firewall app of that kids rack.

    The problem is they don't get any message on any feedback (like they get when they go to a blocked website.. they to to the untangle blocked page), that their time is cut off. This ambiguity leads to them screaming at me to see if the web is off, me wondering if the wifi is down, etc. etc.

    Somehow I need a the user to get notification that their internet was purposeflly cut off by untangle. So either a redirect to an untangle page (but how?), which would be the best system.

    or some other way that is ovbviousl that the internet/wifi is working but they are jsut cut off.
    Thanks.
    Albert90 likes this.

  2. #2
    Untangle Ninja jcoehoorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    York, NE
    Posts
    1,935

    Default

    Use the Captive Portal app instead of the Firewall app. Captive Portal will show a page and gives you some ability to customize the message shown. If you're a developer and want to spend the time on it, you can even completely build your own block page from scratch. Using just the basic options, though you can require authentication without giving them credentials. If you want to, you can also put some javascript into the page to hide the username/password field.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 01-11-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    Albert90 likes this.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

  3. #3
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Hi,
    So just so I go down the right path.
    Do I use the same policy as now (kids username, time of day, day of week) and then just send that to Captive portal instad of firewall?
    Or do I start over and use Captive Portal somehow to run the whole show.

    I'm not famaliar with how Captive Portal Works.
    Thanks for the reply, too!

    Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    Use the Captive Portal app instead of the Firewall app. Captive Portal will show a page and gives you some ability to customize the message shown. If you're a developer and want to spend the time on it, you can even completely build your own block page from scratch. Using just the basic options, though you can require authentication without giving them credentials. If you want to, you can also put some javascript into the page to hide the username/password field.

  4. #4
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    708

    Default

    I actually have a Video i'm about to release about this. TO do this, using a policy with a allow & block time ! Block meaning they can't surf or use the internet at all. Allow they can & filtered.
    wbennett77 and Albert90 like this.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  5. #5
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    I actually have a Video i'm about to release about this. TO do this, using a policy with a allow & block time ! Block meaning they can't surf or use the internet at all. Allow they can & filtered.
    video would be amazing. let us know when it is released. I'm sure lots of parents would be interested. Thanks.
    dashpuppy likes this.

  6. #6
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cruiserparts View Post
    video would be amazing. let us know when it is released. I'm sure lots of parents would be interested. Thanks.
    Yes sir ! Parents love this rule, kids hate me ! LOL ! Also good for in businesses when you don't want WIFI or networks being used at Scheduled times !
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  7. #7
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    22

    Default

    any updates? url yet? if not, no worries. just thought I'd check.
    Thanks
    dashpuppy likes this.

  8. #8
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nanaimo B.C
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cruiserparts View Post
    any updates? url yet? if not, no worries. just thought I'd check.
    Thanks
    Here you go Any questions reach out

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g7wNFGn2rQ&t=4s
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

  9. #9
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Hey @dashpuppy

    can you look at this thread and see if you know how to solve something related to this. Thanks

    https://forums.untangle.com/policy-m...tml#post255275
    dashpuppy likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2