Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default WAN Keeps Going Down - VerizonFIOS

So I have a weird issue at a client running NG Firewall on one of our 1U SuperMicro boxes.

The internet keeps going down for a few seconds and then comes right back up. This can happen 4x a day or 150x a day. Some days, where its really bad, Untangle shows a complete Outage where it goes down for a minute or 2 then comes back up..

I have WAN Failover configured with a PING test on this WAN. So I can see all the dates/times that WAN drops or registers as a complete outage. Its been going on for months.

Its a VerizonFIOS business connection with 5 static IP. The 1GB Intel built in NIC is configured as WAN, set to static, with the Static IP info.

Verizon has been out twice now. 1st time, they replaced the ONT and said a little clip where the fiber patch cable connects to the fiber cable coming into the server room was bad and they said that was the cause.

They left and the issue continues... Today they came, ran a new fiber line to a different terminal outside at the other end of the alley and hooked everythign back up. Untangle shows coming back online at 12:40pm EST. Since then, the tech left and I see 2 failed ping tests at 1:12 and 1:22....

This is driving me nuts. Any chance this intel nic is bad and the cause of the issue??? Or something else???

Pulling my hair out with this one...

Little more background.. we have 2 different networks in this building with 2 different VerizonFIOS ONTs (different bills, different accounts). 1 is for the 1st floor and 1 is for the 2nd floor...

I have 2 identical same Supermicro 1U appliances running NG Firewall in the rack that these 2 different VerizonFIOS internet accounts plug into to service the 2 different floors. Different wiring, different patch panels, different switches. 2 completely different networks.

We were having this same issue on both floors, verizon came out and ran a new line for 1st floor and swapped ONT and everything has been fine every since for the 1st floor..... No dropped internet or outages since October 7th, 2021... 1 thing I did do though, was I through a 2 port intel PCI-Express NIC in the 1st floor NG Firewall box at the same time they replaced the line. So Im not sure if the new NIC fixed the issue or whatever Verizon did that day with running a new line and replacing ONT..

But this same issue is happening with the 2nd floor internet....

Thoughts, suggestions? Any way to know or test if the NIC that WAN is configured on is the cause ???

They have been out twice now for second floor,

Are the Untangle servers directly connected to the ISP gear? If so, try putting a small unmanaged switch between them.

Not all gigabit interfaces like each other...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Yes, they are. VerizonFIOS ONT has cat6 coming out and connects directly to Intel WAN port on UT...
    I actually usually install an unmanaged switch between Verizon's ONT and my routers/network devices when utilizing more than 1 of the public IP's....Im only using 1 of the 5 static's right now so I dont have a switch installed. But good suggestion

I think Im going to try popping a Intel 2 port PCI-Express card into UT. Reconfiguring WAN interface on that card and put a 5 port Gigabit switch between VerizonFIOS ONT and UT... See if that fixes the issue.

Might be an MTU issue too, some of those fiber lines are... strange like that.

Have you tested for fragmentation?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Was at this client at 4am to make changes to UT before the office opened. Installed an Intel PCI-Express 2 port 10Gb NIC and a 5 port unmanaged switch between the Fios ONT and WAN NiC on UT and installed a new Cat6 cable between UT and the switch.

Re-assigned External to one of the ports on the new Intel PCI express NIC, reprogrammed WAN static IP info and saved...

Before this WAN was going out anywhere between 20-150x daily...since I saved settings this morning not a single outage.. WAN has been rock solid. Weird but it appears the issue is resolved. If we go another 24hr I'll be confident it's fixed

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by defcomllc View Post
    Was at this client at 4am to make changes to UT before the office opened. Installed an Intel PCI-Express 2 port 10Gb NIC and a 5 port unmanaged switch between the Fios ONT and WAN NiC on UT and installed a new Cat6 cable between UT and the switch.

Re-assigned External to one of the ports on the new Intel PCI express NIC, reprogrammed WAN static IP info and saved...

Before this WAN was going out anywhere between 20-150x daily...since I saved settings this morning not a single outage.. WAN has been rock solid. Weird but it appears the issue is resolved. If we go another 24hr I'll be confident it's fixed
    Glad you got it fixed, we will all cross our fingers for you Sounds like the original nic died, one of the main reasons why everyone posts with success from Intel nics
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Glad you got it fixed, we will all cross our fingers for you Sounds like the original nic died, one of the main reasons why everyone posts with success from Intel nics

The original NIC are intel as well....but with this client being over an hour away....I couldn't replace 1 nic and wait , 1 switch and wait, etc...needed it fixed asap.

So not sure if it was the cat 6 from ont to UT WANZ, UT Intel integrated NIC, adding unmanaged switch between ONT and UT WAN....No idea

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by defcomllc View Post
    The original NIC are intel as well....but with this client being over an hour away....I couldn't replace 1 nic and wait , 1 switch and wait, etc...needed it fixed asap.

So not sure if it was the cat 6 from ont to UT WANZ, UT Intel integrated NIC, adding unmanaged switch between ONT and UT WAN....No idea
    It could be anything i guess. I am going to agree with SkyKnight though, some nic's don't play nice with other things, and plugging in a generic switch could have solved the issue so.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Who knows, in this space it's very much a I don't care as long as it works thing.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Who knows, in this space it's very much a I don't care as long as it works thing.
    Yep, agree'd. For the distance he had to cover there and back, what he did is what all of us would have done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast