Master Untangler

Default Where do you put your mobile / tablet devices

How do you treat these devices, I've had them in their own LAN segment, but these days looking to shift 90% of devices into an IOT network segment leaving, TrueNas, 5 x Windows 10 machines,, HP printer Unifi controller and network devices in their own LAN.

Previously it was

Ring, Hue, Siemens ovens, Alexa devices etc in an IOT network
    iPhone, iPad, iWatch devices, Apple TV, TVs etc in another
    Infra devices in another

Master Untangler

Colleagues who set up residential home automation etc all put the control devices in with the IoT, but that's because they usually have a dedicated device just doing that.

My setup is same as your previous one. Treat mobile as a trusted device, but yeah... Can be inconvenient with certain apps that need to talk to the IoT side. Thankfully, most stuff I have (Alexa, Hue etc) seems to manage OK not being in the same VLAN as the app.

Master Untangler

"ALL" iot related things & wireless devices go on a IOT vlan & a policy to route all that traffic out the wan & strict rules so they can't talk to any other subnets.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    "ALL" iot related things & wireless devices go on a IOT vlan & a policy to route all that traffic out the wan & strict rules so they can't talk to any other subnets.
    Yup I had rules in place to only allow IOT net to the WAN. Running pfsense atm to have another look, so will have to swap disks over.

Untangler

I treat phones and tablets as just another IoT device and therefore they are on their own IoT VLAN with my home automation hub, thermostat, etc. As you stated my computers (Windows/Linux), NAS, Printers, Unifi management network, etc have their own VLAN. This was much easier to manage than having 5 VLAN's and micromanaging the devices and rules.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by RonV42 View Post
    I treat phones and tablets as just another IoT device and therefore they are on their own IoT VLAN with my home automation hub, thermostat, etc. As you stated my computers (Windows/Linux), NAS, Printers, Unifi management network, etc have their own VLAN. This was much easier to manage than having 5 VLAN's and micromanaging the devices and rules.
    Phones i put on another vlan so they can have priority over "ALL & Any traffic" Then again all my sip traffic goes over a VPN connection to another location for the PBX server.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!