Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
    I’ve considered jumping back to opnsense on my home network. I love untangle for small businesses, but everything has been way too quiet since the buyout. We have no clue if they are going to tank the firewall or if they plan on doing anything. We’ve been on v16 for two years, and they were doing a new major release once a year. I’m
    Worried the product is going to be canned.
    I'm back with a different firewall vendor. As a home user Arista won't care tbh. However it does have a knock on when looking to buy for work as Arista then don't even make the list for switches either.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
    Unifi I messaged re a known issue on one of their switch lines re a rev. My switch was showing issues relating to the rev, they'd previously replaced these. My response from them, and... buy another newer one. Don't think so.
    For their access points, this was a fair answer just 2 1/2 years ago. It was the price you paid for APs that cost 1/2 what other "enterprise" vendors charged and could buy via Amazon rather than a dealer network. Sure, the occasional unit had issues, but you still came out waaaay ahead on the deal.

But now some other options are a little cheaper, Unifi is a little more expensive (more likely to spend $170 on nanoHD than $99 on a Lite), and pandemic shortages have sent us back to going directly through Ubiquiti for sales. In fairness, I'd still rather use Ubiquiti's consumer store than go through a Cisco, Aruba, or Ruckus dealer.

This was also true for their switches for a little while, but the pricing advantage there didn't last as long.

The big thing keeping me with Unifi is I'm up to 117 APs and 13 switches on campus, and they're still the ONLY option I've found that will scale into the hundreds of devices without requiring a per-AP license purchase every year just to keep the same equipment working that I've already paid for. Even here, I see the writing on the wall as they push more and more customers into their cloud controller that requires licensing beyond a certain number of APs (we still run our own controller locally on a linux VM).

I am rethinking my use of their switches. Their pricing advantage has mostly disappeared, we have enough different kinds of port configurations to make the Unifi UI for this cumbersome, they have more-frequent firmware updates than other brands, and the switch updates are more disruptive than for APs because it can (briefly) take down a whole building. Unifi also has a history of shorter support life cycles. These shorter cycles and firmware updates are okay for the access points, where the tech standards change faster than the hardware wears out anyway and you have coverage overlaps for updates. It's even helpful, since it gives me an excuse to get upper administration on board with faster refresh cycles. But switches are different. You want to be able to install them and leave them mostly untouched for more than a decade. The switches are also creating lock-in to their ecosystem because I'm now committed to keeping that controller running long term.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 06-23-2022 at 07:05 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
    Main think for me re Aruba AIO is the warranty too rather than the lottery for Unifi support and RMA process. I'm waiting for a 1930 Arubia AIO switch, but been told it'll be a few months at least.

Unifi I messaged re a known issue on one of their switch lines re a rev. My switch was showing issues relating to the rev, they'd previously replaced these. My response from them, and... buy another newer one. Don't think so.

So the plan is to sell all my kit hopefully for a profit / near what I paid for it, move to an alternative. Would I recommend Unifi as a whole - no. It's done the job, but their support and software QC is a joke. If you mention this on redditt or their forums, the fanbois all have a tantrum
    I have a 1930-24-poe switch for sale & a hand full of ap's. If interested.. BTW i refuse to use Unifi on my home network
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Untangler

Seeing concerns about access point support eol why not buy hardware that will be supported by openwrt. Might support what you have already too. They have more frequent updates and can be scripted easily.

Master Untangler

I will never go back to ubiquiti. Their firmware is the worst, and support is non-existent.
    dashpuppy and mikeyscott like this.

Master Untangler

I will never go back to ubiquiti. Their firmware is the worst, and support is non-existent.
    Agree
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

They went through a bad spate from >4.3.28 through 4.3.56. Took them about 6 months to work it where everyone had to run 4.3.20 manually regardless of what the latest actually was. Once they got everything moved up to the 5.x series it was fine again.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    They went through a bad spate from >4.3.28 through 4.3.56. Took them about 6 months to work it where everyone had to run 4.3.20 manually regardless of what the latest actually was. Once they got everything moved up to the 5.x series it was fine again.
    Yeah it's almost like they were suffering from talent drain accelerated by pandemic. Just like everyone else in that time period.

My only problem with Unifi gear is availability. Everything else is on me as an admin to deal with, and Ubiquiti provides plenty of tools for me to do that. I never NEEDED their support, and that's the point. Everyone I see whining about it lacked the skill to support these networks correctly from the get go. Which is also fine, but instead of addressing their blatant ignorance, people just scream.

Such is the way of things when we make some things too easy. NGFW does it too, spoils us... makes us lazy... Not saying this is bad in and of itself, automation is great, standardization is great. But sometimes it creates a perfect storm of self reinforced ignorance that blows up in our collective faces every so often.

There simply is no replacement for study and experimentation.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-24-2022 at 08:17 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yeah it's almost like they were suffering from talent drain accelerated by pandemic. Just like everyone else in that time period.

My only problem with Unifi gear is availability. Everything else is on me as an admin to deal with, and Ubiquiti provides plenty of tools for me to do that. I never NEEDED their support, and that's the point. Everyone I see whining about it lacked the skill to support these networks correctly from the get go. Which is also fine, but instead of addressing their blatant ignorance, people just scream.

Such is the way of things when we make some things too easy. NGFW does it too, spoils us... makes us lazy... Not saying this is bad in and of itself, automation is great, standardization is great. But sometimes it creates a perfect storm of self reinforced ignorance that blows up in our collective faces every so often.

There simply is no replacement for study and experimentation.
    So when their hardware fails under warranty you just wip out your magic screwdriver and poof its fixed ? Ever had to RMA their stuff and wait week and week to get replacements ?

What about something that's not working as it should and you need some kind of support but you can't get it because YOU CAN"T PHONE THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    So when their hardware fails under warranty you just wip out your magic screwdriver and poof its fixed ? Ever had to RMA their stuff and wait week and week to get replacements ?
    I have 117 APs. I've only had four failures, and three of those were my own fault, where the older AC lites needed 24V power and they were accidently connected to standard 48v injectors (I still have several of these APs in service, btw.)

That is, one single legitimate replacement out of over 117 devices since 2018. For that failure rate, given the pricing advantage vs the likes of Cisco, Aruba, Ruckus, Extreme, etc, you keep a few spares around and deal with it.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 06-24-2022 at 01:04 PM.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast