Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Question G3 Camera missing in "Devices" section

Hey!

I have an Unifi G3 camera on my network which gets an IP address via DHCP from untangle.

I see the lease & camera inside the "DHCP Server" tab, however the camera does not show up in the "Devices" section (nor the "hosts" section).

Anyone an idea why that might be?

*edit:* is it because the camera does not connect to the internet?
    Kinda weird if that is the case because I expect every device connected to my LAN to show up under Devices to be honest.
    Last edited by cholzer; 02-15-2022 at 05:23 AM.

Device list is devices which have passed traffic across the NGFW. If it is blocked or only talking to local devices, it will not be in the list.
    cholzer likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by cholzer View Post
    Hey!

I have an Unifi G3 camera on my network which gets an IP address via DHCP from untangle.

I see the lease & camera inside the "DHCP Server" tab, however the camera does not show up in the "Devices" section (nor the "hosts" section).

Anyone an idea why that might be?

*edit:* is it because the camera does not connect to the internet?
    Kinda weird if that is the case because I expect every device connected to my LAN to show up under Devices to be honest.
    My Protect camera's don't show up in the devices section either. As long as they're working I wouldn't worry about it.
    Untangle on Discord: https://discord.gg/r6eYUmern3

Master Untangler

I see this with my VOIP phones in the shop. Since they are not passing through UT (arent going out to the internet) they dont show up as Devices. They communicate directly to my VOIP on-premiuse PBX so inter-VLAN communication only. The VOIP PBX does show up under devices because that devices is passwing through UT, connecting out to the SIP trunk, software updates, Remote Phones connecting into it...

Your Camera is just talking to your NVR on the LAN...(Dream Machine Pro) or whatever UNIFI NVR you are using, not passing through UT.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by defcomllc View Post
    I see this with my VOIP phones in the shop. Since they are not passing through UT (arent going out to the internet) they dont show up as Devices. They communicate directly to my VOIP on-premiuse PBX so inter-VLAN communication only. The VOIP PBX does show up under devices because that devices is passwing through UT, connecting out to the SIP trunk, software updates, Remote Phones connecting into it...

Your Camera is just talking to your NVR on the LAN...(Dream Machine Pro) or whatever UNIFI NVR you are using, not passing through UT.
    On a side note [just to complicate things] UniFi Talk phones will show up. Out of curiosity, are you using a Cloud Key or UNVR?
    Untangle on Discord: https://discord.gg/r6eYUmern3

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by nowebpresence View Post
    On a side note [just to complicate things] UniFi Talk phones will show up. Out of curiosity, are you using a Cloud Key or UNVR?
    I dont use UNIFI Phones but I would assume they show up because they are reaching out (passing through UT) for fw updates, NTP or something on the interwebs.... Im not the OP, I dont use UBNT cameras. Only use UBNT WAP and Switches which are all centrally managed through my Vultr Hosted UNIFI Controller....

Just to expand on things...

The Device List only populates if the device passes THROUGH Untangle, this means from one network to the Internet, or from one local network to another AND the device isn't inside another router beyond Untangle.

So if you have layer 3 switches behind Untangle, you'll only see the nearest switch in the device list. MAC addresses die at the first router!

There's no magic here, only Ethernet. Ethernet is just darned confusing sometimes.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Device list is devices which have passed traffic across the NGFW. If it is blocked or only talking to local devices, it will not be in the list.
    Somehow I'd like Untangle to have a feature that shows me every device that is present on the local network.

Would such make a good feature suggestion or are there other/better tools that already take care of monitoring what is present on the network?

Untanglit

Somehow I'd like Untangle to have a feature that shows me every device that is present on the local network.

Would such make a good feature suggestion or are there other/better tools that already take care of monitoring what is present on the network?
    They already do provide a way to see every device present on WANs, LANs and VLANs via ARP entries, including MAC addresses. You can see them by going to Config --Network -- Interface.
    jcoffin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rauder View Post
    They already do provide a way to see every device present on WANs, LANs and VLANs via ARP entries, including MAC addresses. You can see them by going to Config --Network -- Interface.
    This still will not grab everything, only things that have communicated with Untangle. It's possible to have mac addresses on an ethernet segment and not know their MAC addresses. This specific view by the way is one of the means that Untangle uses to populate the Device tab. So if it's in here, it's on the Device tab.

Untangle as a router will never be able to do this, unless it employs a port scanner, and even those aren't perfect. If you want a list of all attached devices, the only hardware on your network that can do this accurately is your switch. Get a managed switch.
    rauder likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast