Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by trentm1@gmail.com View Post
    4GB, but it can only access 3.4GB apparently. Not sure why that matters?
    4gig minus onboard video memory.

Add more ram. 4 gig is the minimum. Go 8gigs ram is cheap, and if its a small box that uses sodim, buy some used stuff off ebay. You won't be disappointed to spend 15$
    Last edited by dashpuppy; 05-06-2022 at 07:58 AM.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Add more ram. 4 gig is the minimum ... You won't be disappointed to spend 15$
    Eh. My home system only has 4GB ram and yes, it's the minimum, but it is enough for most homes. Sure, I'd like 8GB, but I like my $15 more.

Now my work system on the other hand...
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    4gig minus onboard video memory.

Add more ram. 4 gig is the minimum. Go 8gigs ram is cheap, and if its a small box that uses sodim, buy some used stuff off ebay. You won't be disappointed to spend 15$
    It is only using 20% in normal operation, so how is adding more going to help? The problem is memory use increases after a software upgrade and doesn't return to normal until a reboot. It will stay at 20% with heavy use until I update again. Something is hogging memory after an upgrade until a reboot happens. Machine runs fine otherwise.

I'm not even sure that it is really a problem, but more of an observation or annoyance. I pointed it out to see if it could be fixed or if there is a memory leak.
    Last edited by trentm1@gmail.com; 05-06-2022 at 08:12 AM.

Untangler

4GB is not causing swap and only 46% used. That is not a problem. Are you seeing problems?

That said if 8GB is only $15 I would do that. Maybe even more if its that cheap. LOL
    dashpuppy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    4GB is not causing swap and only 46% used. That is not a problem. Are you seeing problems?

That said if 8GB is only $15 I would do that. Maybe even more if its that cheap. LOL
    Did you read my post?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post

When i built mine I was able to buy 2 4's or 2 8's the difference was like 12$ at that time, SO 16 it is !! LOL. DDR3 ram is cheap for these little boxes that people use, unless they have a newer one. BUT even then ebay ddr4 laptop SODIM ram = cheap. AND if it uses DDR4 standard desktop ram EBAY = even cheap too !!
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

RAM exists to be used. Upgrades touch files. Linux caches the filesystem in RAM if the RAM is not needed for other things. Therefore, upgrades will cause an increase in RAM usage simply due to caching filesystem objects that aren't normally cached. This cache will remain in RAM until the RAM is either needed for something else or the system is restarted.

This is how the Linux kernel handle's RAM, nothing really to do with NGFW.

All of this is assuming that the filesystem caching is what was consuming the RAM, there could be something "wrong" too... I can't know from here. But if there is something wrong, it's an issue with that one installation, not a bug within the NGFW product. There is nothing in this thread that tells me anything other than what I expect the Linux kernel to do when Untangle upgrades are run.
    junglechuck likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    RAM exists to be used. Upgrades touch files. Linux caches the filesystem in RAM if the RAM is not needed for other things. Therefore, upgrades will cause an increase in RAM usage simply due to caching filesystem objects that aren't normally cached. This cache will remain in RAM until the RAM is either needed for something else or the system is restarted.

This is how the Linux kernel handle's RAM, nothing really to do with NGFW.

All of this is assuming that the filesystem caching is what was consuming the RAM, there could be something "wrong" too... I can't know from here. But if there is something wrong, it's an issue with that one installation, not a bug within the NGFW product. There is nothing in this thread that tells me anything other than what I expect the Linux kernel to do when Untangle upgrades are run.
    You may be correct. That is why I was asking the question. It seems that it never gives up the RAM until a reboot, but maybe that is because it is never needed.

Quote Originally Posted by trentm1@gmail.com View Post
    You may be correct. That is why I was asking the question. It seems that it never gives up the RAM until a reboot, but maybe that is because it is never needed.
    That's my assumption, if Debian has nothing that needs the RAM, it will not touch filesystem cache consumption. It'll just sit there forever, until reboot. On reboot it won't recache things again... it basically starts over from scratch.

If you want to confirm this, next time you see it SSH into the box and run free -m the output of that command has a buff/cache column that reports how much memory is being used for filesystem caching. You can functionally consider all such RAM as available for use, because the OS will free it on demand when it needs it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That's my assumption, if Debian has nothing that needs the RAM, it will not touch filesystem cache consumption. It'll just sit there forever, until reboot. On reboot it won't recache things again... it basically starts over from scratch.

If you want to confirm this, next time you see it SSH into the box and run free -m the output of that command has a buff/cache column that reports how much memory is being used for filesystem caching. You can functionally consider all such RAM as available for use, because the OS will free it on demand when it needs it.
    Thanks for the info. I will try this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast