Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Memory usage increased about 20% with 16.5

I noticed after updating to the latest 16.5 my memory use has increased from about 20% to about 40-42%. Is this expected? Maybe I need to reboot?

Memory

3.4 GB
    41.5% used
    1.41 GB free 58.5%
    1.99 GB

Swap
    6.41 GB
    2.6% used
    169.61 MB free 97.4%
    6.24 GB

Disk
    110.8 GB
    21.2% used
    23.51 GB free 78.8%
    87.29 GB
    Last edited by trentm1@gmail.com; 03-23-2022 at 06:57 AM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by trentm1@gmail.com View Post
    I noticed after updating to the latest 16.5 my memory use has increased from about 20% to about 40-42%. Is this expected? Maybe I need to reboot?

Memory

3.4 GB
    41.5% used
    1.41 GB free 58.5%
    1.99 GB

Swap
    6.41 GB
    2.6% used
    169.61 MB free 97.4%
    6.24 GB

Disk
    110.8 GB
    21.2% used
    23.51 GB free 78.8%
    87.29 GB

Might not hurt. Give it a shot.

Memory dropped to 17-20% after a reboot, but I was unable to get an IP address from my ISP on the WAN interface after a reboot. I tried rebooting a couple times and manually renewing the IP, but nothing worked. I shutdown my Untangle box for an hour or so and then it worked. Not sure if it was an Untangle or ISP problem, but it was odd timing?

I will keep an eye on the memory use and see if it stays steady.

Untangler

Memory dropped to 17-20% after a reboot, but I was unable to get an IP address from my ISP on the WAN interface after a reboot. I tried rebooting a couple times and manually renewing the IP, but nothing worked. I shutdown my Untangle box for an hour or so and then it worked. Not sure if it was an Untangle or ISP problem, but it was odd timing?

I will keep an eye on the memory use and see if it stays steady.
    After reboot, memory usage is going to drop for sure. Then it will go up steadily primarily due to cache which is how Linux works. IMHO, 4GB is bare minimum. My current setup is 6GB memory with minimal 4 apps and 8GB or more is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by balrog View Post
    After reboot, memory usage is going to drop for sure. Then it will go up steadily primarily due to cache which is how Linux works. IMHO, 4GB is bare minimum. My current setup is 6GB memory with minimal 4 apps and 8GB or more is ideal.
    Sure, but that is not what I saw. It essentially doubled after updating and never went back down until a reboot. Now it is hanging out where it usually is at about 22% usage.

That Which Lurks Below

It's possible some process involved in the upgrade got hung up a bit. Rebooting would've killed that process, so now you're seeing the expected behavior. It's hard to tell exactly what might have happened.
    Græme Ravenscroft • Technical Marketing Engineer
    ('gram', like the unit of measurement)
    he/him
    Please don't reboot your NGFW.
    How can we make Arista ETM products better?

That was my thoughts as well, but I posted it just in case others had seem something similar. I left it for a couple days before rebooting and the memory use stayed high, but still seemed to function correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by gravenscroft View Post
    It's possible some process involved in the upgrade got hung up a bit. Rebooting would've killed that process, so now you're seeing the expected behavior. It's hard to tell exactly what might have happened.
    FYI. I just got notified of an update. I ran the updater and it is doing the same thing again. I updated from 16.5.0 to 16.5.1 and it seems like memory use slowly has crept up to around 45-50% used from 21-23%. Any way to easily tell which task is hung up and using more memory?

Master Untangler

FYI. I just got notified of an update. I ran the updater and it is doing the same thing again. I updated from 16.5.0 to 16.5.1 and it seems like memory use slowly has crept up to around 45-50% used from 21-23%. Any way to easily tell which task is hung up and using more memory?
    How much memory do you have in this box ? Any screen shots ?

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    How much memory do you have in this box ? Any screen shots ?
    4GB, but it can only access 3.4GB apparently. Not sure why that matters?2022-05-06.png

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast