Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Ok now I have 2. Yes id love to see the ports on the front, but it's not a killer deal if they are on the back.

#1 for me is the fan noise, its 100% Annoying! I've ordered a new Noctua fan for mine.
    Wait until you try to create both a primary and guest wireless network, ok, wait… You can’t or at least I didn’t see a way to create a second wireless network.

Looking forward to hearing or rather not hearing how the replacement can works out. The W4 is fanless so one less irritation per se solved.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    What is this a competition? For $1200 it should have gold paint. LOL But I guess we now know a good wifi adapter.

Thanks
    I am more than happy to paint the W4 gold (or even the Arista blue) and send to you for $1200. I will even throw in the Home Protect Plus license LOL...

In all seriousness, they appear to be nicely built devices from the same maker that makes other competing products (Caswell).
    dashpuppy likes this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    I am more than happy to paint the W4 gold (or even the Arista blue) and send to you for $1200. I will even throw in the Home Protect Plus license LOL...

In all seriousness, they appear to be nicely built devices from the same maker that makes other competing products (Caswell).
    TONS of nice features inside & the layout is so clean !! I see a m.2 slot so i wonder if one could use a 256m.2 instead of the sata dom..
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Master Untangler

Found something that won't work properly on the w8. It will "NOT" connect @ 1gig on the SFP+ port at all. No matter what i try..

Maybe this isn't possible on these. 10g 100% perfection it works and works good!
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

That's probably the transceiver, assuming the device uses Intel SFP+ interfaces, they are HORRENDOUSLY picky on the transceivers used for 1gbit. Some of the chips in question flat won't do it too... What interface chipset is it?

I've had decent luck with the Unifi branded transceivers working, but the chipset will have a listed compatible part that you'll have to swap to. I also try to avoid copper interfaces on those ports due to compatibility issues as well. I'll use a DAC cable before I use two SPF+ to RJ45s and a CAT6 cable.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That's probably the transceiver, assuming the device uses Intel SFP+ interfaces, they are HORRENDOUSLY picky on the transceivers used for 1gbit. Some of the chips in question flat won't do it too... What interface chipset is it?

I've had decent luck with the Unifi branded transceivers working, but the chipset will have a listed compatible part that you'll have to swap to. I also try to avoid copper interfaces on those ports due to compatibility issues as well. I'll use a DAC cable before I use two SPF+ to RJ45s and a CAT6 cable.
    I'll get back to you. enabling ssh won't allow me into the box to run command to get chipset and network information

I have tried a pile of SFP modules, funny they work in the e6w & e6 units & the switches.

I have a Unifi Branded 10gig dac works 100% 10gtek 10gig sfp+ modules work too ! ( confirmed )

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    I'll get back to you. enabling ssh won't allow me into the box to run command to get chipset and network information. Edit, use root not admin

I have tried a pile of SFP modules, funny they work in the e6w & e6 units & the switches.

I have a Unifi Branded 10gig dac works 100% 10gtek 10gig sfp+ modules work too ! ( confirmed )
    [root @ untangle] ~ # lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 1980 (rev 11)
    00:04.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 19a1 (rev 11)
    00:05.0 Generic system peripheral [0807]: Intel Corporation Device 19a2 (rev 11)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 19a3 (rev 11)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 19a6 (rev 11)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 19a7 (rev 11)
    00:0e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 19a8 (rev 11)
    00:12.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation DNV SMBus Contoller - Host (rev 11)
    00:14.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation DNV SATA Controller 1 (rev 11)
    00:15.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor C3000 Series USB 3.0 xH CI Controller (rev 11)
    00:16.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 19d1 (rev 11)
    00:17.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 19d2 (rev 11)
    00:18.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 19d3 (rev 11)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation DNV LPC or eSPI (rev 11)
    00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Device 19de (rev 11)
    00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation DNV SMBus controller (rev 11)
    00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation DNV SPI Controller (rev 11)
    01:00.0 Co-processor: Intel Corporation Atom Processor C3000 Series QuickAssist Technology (rev 11)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA986x/988x 802.11ac Wireless Netw ork Adapter
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection ( rev 01)
    04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection ( rev 01)
    04:00.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection ( rev 01)
    04:00.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection ( rev 01)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X553 10 GbE S FP+ (rev 11)
    05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X553 10 GbE S FP+ (rev 11)
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X553 1GbE (re v 11)
    06:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X553 1GbE (re v 11)
    [root @ untangle] ~ #

Ugh I hate the X553 it's hard to get specifics on it. The X550 series is all we can read, and that's a shotgun of data that isn't necessarily chip specific.

BUT, that chip does require a younger kernel module to be able to do the step down below 10gbit. And given the matrix of options in the family, I'd say it's about a 70% chance the driver that ships with Debian 10 is too old to be able to do that.

Expect that platform to behave better once Untangle is based on Debian 11. But the base driver shipping with Debian 11 is still three major revs behind with further references to this specific functionality. So unless Untangle starts packaging up more modern Intel drivers I can't even be certain the ability to step the SFP+ ports down will work post upgrade, it's just MOST LIKELY to work.

It uses the ixgbe kernel module by the way, unless I'm more bonkers than I usually am and misreading the sheet.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post

Gold paint and new fan will no doubt void the warranty. LOL

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Ugh I hate the X553 it's hard to get specifics on it. The X550 series is all we can read, and that's a shotgun of data that isn't necessarily chip specific.

BUT, that chip does require a younger kernel module to be able to do the step down below 10gbit. And given the matrix of options in the family, I'd say it's about a 70% chance the driver that ships with Debian 10 is too old to be able to do that.

Expect that platform to behave better once Untangle is based on Debian 11. But the base driver shipping with Debian 11 is still three major revs behind with further references to this specific functionality. So unless Untangle starts packaging up more modern Intel drivers I can't even be certain the ability to step the SFP+ ports down will work post upgrade, it's just MOST LIKELY to work.

It uses the ixgbe kernel module by the way, unless I'm more bonkers than I usually am and misreading the sheet.
    I'm not really worried, i was just trying to get the SFP+ slot to work with a 1gb module so I could test it and stuff. V17 looks promising ..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast