Master Untangler

Default Odd untangle issue

Too weird not to post...

Untangle at a medium sized office...been working fine for a few years. Intermittent internet connectivity issues brought up by end users. VPN in and pull up untangle interface and all looks good, and speed tests are good. However, any device on the LAN is losing internet access and/or it is super slow. Cable ISP says modem is good, even has a tech in the area and sends him out to check it. Says all good when connected directly to the modem, maybe you have a flaky switch. I hate just replacing things to try and fix a problem especially one I haven't directly diagnosed. Get onsite and I can get on the network and then lose connectivity. Can't ping UT at all, then it comes back for a couple of minutes and internet is full speed. I swap in new switch to no avail. I even swapped the UT interfaces thinking maybe the LAN interface had an issue. Numerous other troubleshooting steps taken to eliminate other possibilities. Finally I said, let me upgrade UT...

BAM, this fixed the issue. Any ideas? What could I have checked to determine the problem? So weird as I mentioned this unit has been solid for almost 3 years.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by andrew50 View Post
    Too weird not to post...

Untangle at a medium sized office...been working fine for a few years. Intermittent internet connectivity issues brought up by end users. VPN in and pull up untangle interface and all looks good, and speed tests are good. However, any device on the LAN is losing internet access and/or it is super slow. Cable ISP says modem is good, even has a tech in the area and sends him out to check it. Says all good when connected directly to the modem, maybe you have a flaky switch. I hate just replacing things to try and fix a problem especially one I haven't directly diagnosed. Get onsite and I can get on the network and then lose connectivity. Can't ping UT at all, then it comes back for a couple of minutes and internet is full speed. I swap in new switch to no avail. I even swapped the UT interfaces thinking maybe the LAN interface had an issue. Numerous other troubleshooting steps taken to eliminate other possibilities. Finally I said, let me upgrade UT...

BAM, this fixed the issue. Any ideas? What could I have checked to determine the problem? So weird as I mentioned this unit has been solid for almost 3 years.
    What was the old version before the upgrade ?
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Might have just been an interface reset, doubly so if you came from an ancient version and did a kernel upgrade along the way.

Also, I've seen Untangle server's DOS'd off their own LANs by torrent clients... so that can happen too. But that doesn't go away with a reboot.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    What was the old version before the upgrade ?
    I don't know for sure, but it was 15.x something...

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Might have just been an interface reset, doubly so if you came from an ancient version and did a kernel upgrade along the way.

Also, I've seen Untangle server's DOS'd off their own LANs by torrent clients... so that can happen too. But that doesn't go away with a reboot.
    Definitely no torrenting occurring. Can you expound on interface reset?

Untangler

Can you expound on interface reset?
    When it rebooted it reset the nics. If it is a recurring thing try to post more details.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post

You should see what happens when you plug a 1gig SFP-rj4 into the New Arista W8 box Talk about instant reboot, if it doesn't like it POOF reboot ! lol
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    When it rebooted it reset the nics. If it is a recurring thing try to post more details.
    Reboot did not help. It was the upgrade.

Reboot did not help. It was the upgrade.
    Which makes no sense unless the unit was running v15.0 or older, v15.1 came with the most recent kernel and associated drivers. All subsequent releases are quality and bug fix releases that do not impact how NICs work.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I just had an issue where Untangle became very unstable. After a week of pulling out my hair I replaced the CMOS battery and it's living happily ever after.