Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Home Protect Plus worth it?

Hi!

I have the Home Basic subscription which is enough for around 30 devices in our home. But some problems with my main ISP prompted me to explore WAN failover with a backup ISP. I used a trial version of Untangle to try it. But when it ended, I decided to try an Omada router. I have no complaints with how failover works, but I miss the control and reports of Untangle. My Untangle box is decommissioned at the moment as I weight my options. I'm considering switching to pfSense and just try to match the Untangle apps I use (Web Filter, Application Control, Bandwidth Control, Tunnel VPN, OpenVPN) plus the WAN failover.

I'm wondering, to those who opted for the Home Plus subscription, is it worth it? What apps available in Home Protect Plus made the extra $100 worth it for you?

Thanks in advance.

If you scroll to the bottom of page https://www.untangle.com/solutions/u...e-protect-plus it lists the app differences between home and home plus.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Hi! Thanks. I’m aware of the apps for each tier. I think I’m just asking if folks here think they are worth the extra $100.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by bokolobs View Post
    Hi! Thanks. I’m aware of the apps for each tier. I think I’m just asking if folks here think they are worth the extra $100.
    Depends what you need / want ? I for one think the $150 is worth it. But some may not need all the features..

Untangler

Openwrt can handle the fail over and load balancing if that is all you need. It is what "Untangle Micro Edge" is based on. Depending on the speeds involved it can run on consumer routers, vm or x86. Takes a little work but probably easier than pfsence. LOL

Untanglit

Thanks, dashpuppy, donhwyo.

I guess part of what I'm trying to figure out is if I need the other apps. WAN failover and fail back have become essential to our household so that means I would need the the Plus tier. Web Filter and Application Control are also great especially because we have a kid and an elderly in the house who just click on everything. OpenVPN suffices my needs so I don't think I need Wireguard, although I hear it's faster.

Is Threat Prevention essential for home use? I have a 500 Mbps symmetrical fiber connection, so Web Cache isn't that big of a deal for me. I really like the Untangle UI and how easy it is to setup common tasks like VLANs. That's what made me choose it over pfSense the last time. But I can't wrap my head around the additional $100 cost. I didn't really give pfSense a proper evaluation last time since Untangle Home Basic at $50 was spot on. But maybe it's time to dip my toes in that.

Check out OPNSENSE it seems simple enough. I might give it ago when my untangle sub expires

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by lhiraman View Post
    Check out OPNSENSE it seems simple enough. I might give it ago when my untangle sub expires
    Simple enough, but its like Pfsense. And doesn't have as close to the reporting or features of Untangle.

Untanglit

Will install pfSense this weekend and run it for a week or so then try OPNSense.

I forgot to mention that the bridge mode on my secondary ISP modem only works thru MAC address spoofing, which I gather Untangle doesn't currently support. Double NAT seems to break a couple of my IoT devices. Although I'm not 100% sure that's the real reason or just the failover breaking the original connection.

Untangler

Double nat is brobably not the problem it is blamed for most of the time. The whole world is behind some ( multiple ) level of nat. It is not that hard to work around. I put a wrt1900acs with untangle micro edge in front of my untangle and had no problems. When untangle dropped support for it I switched to openwrt and still no problem.
    Good luck

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast