Default Strange internet throttling issue

Really odd issue here. My internet speed is being reduced from about 425Mbps to 90-170Mbps. QOS is turned off and don't have bandwidth control installed.

Here is the weird thing. If I make a change on the external OR internal interface, like turning ip6 on or off, internet speed is restored. It will remain working for awhile then throttles back. Fixes the problem for anywhere between an hour or 12 hours. No consistent time frame on it.

I have checked that the link speed is 1Gb's and full duplex (intel nics). Not getting in tx/rx errors on any of the interfaces either. Seems to be that any thing I do that re-initializes the link interface, like re-plugging in the cat5 cable) will get things working again.

To rule out hardware issues I fired up PFsense and ran that for a few days. No issues at all.

Any ideas? Heard of this before?

That Which Lurks Below

Sounds like everything's configured correctly on the NG Firewall; those are all the typical things we'd tell you to check.

It's possible it's an issue with the negotiation/handshake between NG Firewall and the next device upstream. Unfortunately, that's also very hard to isolate. You can try running a few Download Tests from Config > Network > Troubleshooting to see what raw bandwidth you're receiving from the next device upstream: that test isn't subject to any rules or configuration in NG Firewall itself.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroworks View Post
    To rule out hardware issues I fired up PFsense and ran that for a few days. No issues at all.
    Just to be clear: you replaced the NG Firewall installation with pfSense on the same hardware platform?
    Græme Ravenscroft • Technical Marketing Engineer
    ('gram', like the unit of measurement)
    he/him
    Please don't reboot your NGFW.
    How can we make Arista ETM products better?

Quote Originally Posted by gravenscroft View Post
    Sounds like everything's configured correctly on the NG Firewall; those are all the typical things we'd tell you to check.

It's possible it's an issue with the negotiation/handshake between NG Firewall and the next device upstream. Unfortunately, that's also very hard to isolate. You can try running a few Download Tests from Config > Network > Troubleshooting to see what raw bandwidth you're receiving from the next device upstream: that test isn't subject to any rules or configuration in NG Firewall itself.

Just to be clear: you replaced the NG Firewall installation with pfSense on the same hardware platform?
    Thank you for the reply back.

I ran several download tests in the troubleshooting tab. I get about 48MB/s consistently. But that is with things working fine. When it isn't that test gets me about 12 MB/s.

I should note that this is running on a VM within ESXI. Have ran it this way for a long time. Switched to another firewall for a year or so and now back to untangle because of features I need presently. Fresh install.

When I say I fired up pfsense to test, I shutdown the untangle VM and power on the pfsense VM. Both use the same Vmnics and network topology. VMnics are configured as VMXNET3 adaptor types. VMtools is also installed on untangle.