Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Failure of Time Warner Northeast Ohio

I though you guys would like to see what "awesome" speeds I get from my Cable connection at my home, they were advertising that Powerboost service and they enacted it not too long ago. Let me put it this way, they have got so bad with the traffic shaping I am thinking about going back to DSL, which in my area is 3.0mbps/1.5mbps. Time Warner is digging their own grave!

Before they got all crazy with the traffic shaping and such, I used to get some of the fastest speeds I have ever gotten. Now it seems not only "some" of my programs are affected, but now things like Steam and Warcraft and feeling the hurt. Its sad, sad.

Just to snuff it out ahead of time, the m0n0wall is not the problem. I tested 4 routers (2 Linksys, (1 with 3rd Party FW, 1 Without) 1 Untangle, 1 m0n0wall) and got the same result.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Master Untangler

this is cox cable 20/2 with power boost + att uverse 12/1.5 WLB on my vyatta machine. i am currently compiling a newer kernel for my vyatta box to see if i can improve my load balancing.

oh and at the same time i am running tests, i am downloading 2 isos at around 650k/s each

this is why I like my T1. it may be slow, but there's no BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    Just to snuff it out ahead of time, the m0n0wall is not the problem. I tested 4 routers (2 Linksys, (1 with 3rd Party FW, 1 Without) 1 Untangle, 1 m0n0wall) and got the same result.
    Does this graph show usage or bandwidth available?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Ouch.

I kept having trouble with my cable service and their bandwidth controls, so I switched back to DSL (5 down, 1 up) and haven't looked back. With cable I was supposed to be getting 7, but for some reason their system kept cutting my speed in half due to "excessive usage" or some junk like that, so I dumped them.

Sometime soon Verizon FIOS is supposed to make it to my area (Boise, ID) and is going to kill the local competition, or cause a massive price/bandwidth war, I pray for this day.

I am not at liberty to say what I was doing, but that is the amount of bandwidth used. The total available is base 15mbps / 768kbps. But with power boost I get 22mbps / 2mbps.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

The sad thing is we have Windstream communitcations in our area. They offer a package that is 12 / 3 I think but it is not in our area. We can only get the 3 / 1.5.

What I was going to do is buy 5 or 6 DSL lines and the UT Wan Balancer and make a 15 / 8.5 if I get 5 and 18 / 9 if I get 6.

You buy one DSL "package" then you buy these things called "greenstreaks" a.k.a naked DSL and they are $12.95/mo. and they match the same speed you get from the first one.

I am not at liberty to say what I was doing

Its okay - we all love thepiratebay here
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Suprisingly it was not the piratebay, lets just say I pay money to keep prying eyes off my connection with SSL.

And that it is alot faster than Bittorrent.

Master Untangler

Suprisingly it was not the piratebay, lets just say I pay money to keep prying eyes off my connection with SSL.

And that it is alot faster than Bittorrent.
    hellz yeah.....i love maxing out my connections....LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast