Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I love thunderbird, but untangle wont scan any email that comes to it. spam blocker becomes useless
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

You have mentioned that before, and I sadly cannot relate. I use an house SMTP server so I always get spam scanning.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    Unless you require special functions of MS Office.

"Captain, set a course for www.openoffice.org and www.mozillamessaging.com"
    We use both around here, but always have issues were OpenOffice doesn't render documents correctly. It becomes a real pain at times.

I'm a huge supporter of Open Office. I don't like writer, I just don't... it's built on an interface that works like WordPerfect. I'm a WORD addict, I've used Microsoft Word since version 2.0 on Windows 3.1... I know that product inside outside and upside down. I'm not about to change that experience easily.

Open Office Calc was recently updated, it is now just as capable as Excel for my usage. And I'm a very heavy Excel guy, I do all my pricing and forecasting in there...

I recommend Open Office on all of my starter workstations, and I deal with some small businesses that don't really have the budget for things and they've had to plugin Open Office out of necessity. Some of them don't care for it, others live with it, and a very few love it.

For me, Outlook wins the argument as I have yet to find a suitable replacement. There are alternatives of course, but alternatives that will also sync to my phone are coming up short.

Besides, I have an action pack, I get all this stuff relatively free.

Of course if my Outlook doesn't stop crashing randomly I'm going to find a MS software engineer and throttle him. And before you ask, I run my outlook in safe mode and IT STILL CRASHES.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

"Of course if my Outlook doesn't stop crashing randomly I'm going to find a MS software engineer and throttle him. And before you ask, I run my outlook in safe mode and IT STILL CRASHES."

Delete the profile (save the PST before) from mail in control panel, and re create them.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Been there done that... still crashes. Randomly.
    NexgenAppliances.com

...one thing I have learned about computers...nothing is random. Whether you are involved or not there is a set of conditions that are lining up to cause a fatal error is the program. I question is what are conditions. hmm, I use Thunderbird / OWA so I don't know enough about Outlook client. Anytime I get a problem with it I just uninstall it then run a reg cleaner to check for any loose bits of programs that may be leftover then reinstall + windows update and I am all set 99.9% of the time.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Ahh but that's just it. My Outlook is behaving as if I have an addon that is crashing it. Yet, I'm running it in safe mode.

I've spend considerable time researching the issue. Outlook 2007 specifically has a bug that can cause this. There is no repair for it, no work around. It's supposedly so rare that Microsoft has only managed to duplicate it once. Yet, thanks to my luck... I have two workstations doing it. One is mine, the other belongs to a client.

No Addons, profile has been rebuilt from scratch, Office has been reinstalled, RAM tested, Hard disk Tested, no other faults on ANYTHING. But, Outlook crashes randomly even when in safe mode.

I've been arguing with this for over a year. If I can't fix it, no one can.
    NexgenAppliances.com

scanpst?
    Maybe its corrupt or near the 2 Gb.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

The 2gb barrier was removed as a limitation with Outlook 2003 if you made a fresh PST. My file is in the newer format that allows up to a 20gb database. The file itself is only about 600mb and I've run scanpst on it multiple times. Every time I run it, it finds something wrong with it and fixes it. I often have to run the tool 3-4 times to get it to clear all errors, then open the fresh file with Outlook. Simply opening outlook, closing outlook, and running the tool again results in more errors.

I thought my DB had some hopeless corruption when I discovered this. But, afterward I started poking around with all the Outlook 2007 installs I have in the field. Guess what I found? EVERY PST I CAN PLAY WITH, is corrupt according to that tool.

So at this point unless outlook just won't open, I don't bother with scanpst.exe anymore.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast