Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Ahh but that's just it. My Outlook is behaving as if I have an addon that is crashing it. Yet, I'm running it in safe mode.

I've spend considerable time researching the issue. Outlook 2007 specifically has a bug that can cause this. There is no repair for it, no work around. It's supposedly so rare that Microsoft has only managed to duplicate it once. Yet, thanks to my luck... I have two workstations doing it. One is mine, the other belongs to a client.

No Addons, profile has been rebuilt from scratch, Office has been reinstalled, RAM tested, Hard disk Tested, no other faults on ANYTHING. But, Outlook crashes randomly even when in safe mode.

I've been arguing with this for over a year. If I can't fix it, no one can.
    Anti virus software perhaps?

So there is no legally moving that copy to a new machine later
    if i uninstall it it, install on a new system and MS lets it activate, that seems legal to me
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The 2gb barrier was removed as a limitation with Outlook 2003 if you made a fresh PST. My file is in the newer format that allows up to a 20gb database. The file itself is only about 600mb and I've run scanpst on it multiple times. Every time I run it, it finds something wrong with it and fixes it. I often have to run the tool 3-4 times to get it to clear all errors, then open the fresh file with Outlook. Simply opening outlook, closing outlook, and running the tool again results in more errors.

I thought my DB had some hopeless corruption when I discovered this. But, afterward I started poking around with all the Outlook 2007 installs I have in the field. Guess what I found? EVERY PST I CAN PLAY WITH, is corrupt according to that tool.

So at this point unless outlook just won't open, I don't bother with scanpst.exe anymore.
    Outlook doesn't play nice if it doesn't have exchange to talk to...2000 ran most times ok..but 2003 and up(dunno about 2010 as i don't run outlook anymore) just doesn't play nice without exchange. Here's my thoughts on SBS2k8:
    http://www.emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com/archives/2289

Outlook plays just fine with out exchange? been sing it since 2003, and we have 18 clients at work, and friends and family use it, 2003, to 2007 and soon 2010, no problems at all.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

I have dozen of stand alone outlook 2003 and 2007 without problems
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Master Untangler

been running 2k7 on several machines for quite some time. no issues whatsoever
    currently running 2k10 at home (no exchange) 0 problems
    running 2k10 on one of my office computers - only problem i am having is the lack of a symantec enterprise vault client....no big deal, i am the evault admin, i just changed my policies...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathiau View Post
    if i uninstall it it, install on a new system and MS lets it activate, that seems legal to me
    That, makes you a pirate. OEM licenses are not legal to move from one machine to another. Office installations however do legally allow you to install it on 2 machines. The license allows room for a desktop, and a portable device, both to be used by a single user. The second activation used outside of that context is a violation of the license agreement. If you've done this, you are a thief. End of discussion.

As for Outlook vs Exchange... meh I've got more non-Exchange installs than I do Exchange. All of them are flawless except these two. I've done everything short of open a support ticket with Microsoft on the issue. And to be honest, I'm just going to yank it and toss in 2010 and see if it fixes it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

OEM its an "entangled" way to reach a market ($) that would stay outside the law.
    I never glue the sticker in the PC's I sold with OEM licences, and I doubt any judge said the reason in this point is in the MS side. No license agreement is above the law.

No, but by opening the package you agreed to those limitations. If you take that argument to court, you will lose.

Why is OEM cheap?

1.) No support from Microsoft, support is to be offered by the OEM themselves. If you aren't an OEM you get to support yourself.
    2.) It must be sold with a new computer. See reason one, these licenses are there for system builders, if you've built your own box great. If you're buying this stuff for yourself and you didn't build the box you're violating the agreement.
    3.) The OEM license is not portable, it is locked to the hardware it is installed on and can never move. The agreement defines a "computer" as a combination of motherboard and CPU. There are exceptions made for the purpose of repair, but you cannot legally get away with moving a license to a completely new machine.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Agree with 1 and 2
    For point 3 I repeat my last post:
    No private agreement its over the law.
    If a client is stolen the CPU, loose the license? Its ridiculous. He pay for this, have the sticker and invoice in a safer site.

I don't know how it works down there, but I can tell you that up here, in the case of theft, the software license is simply void.

That is why you have liability insurance, the software licenses, hardware, and all other related costs are simply billed against it.

Technically speaking, retail Microsoft licenses, and volume Microsoft licenses aren't transferable. You can't sell them... OEM is sellable by virtue of the fact that it's part of the hardware once activated. That's why the OEM agreement requires system builders to affix the sticker when installing windows. Any reseller that doesn't affix the sticker is in violation of the reseller agreement and technically can have his right to resell Microsoft product revoked.

Also, volume licensing for Windows Vista and Windows 7 require activation every 30 days. This activation happens against a corporate activation server. This isn't done for Microsoft's control, it's done to deactivate any stolen equipment. If a laptop goes missing, after 30 days the thing simply stops booting.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-25-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast