Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

I understand now
    I cant continue to sell copys of "grand theft auto", right?
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    I cant continue to sell copys of "grand theft auto", right?
    How much?

What i like is how i am labeled a thief and dishonest because i mentioned, didn't even say i had done it, mentioned, that you could activate it on another system, that is it Microsoft's fault for a flawed system, they could easily not prevent re-activation if they so choose to, but they don't.

In short they don't care about anyone with less than 3 servers. And, I've gotten them to tell me they are officially ok with someone operating two servers on the trial license. The EULA says you can only have one, but I've got a recording of an official VMWare representative telling me I can have as many as I want.

What does that mean? I can install as many trials as I care to register for myself or any number of customers and I'm free of legal retribution despite the EULA. Why? Because I have that recording.
    So then i am as dishonest as you....

You can IN FACT call Microsoft, tell them you need to activate your copy on a new computer and they will IN FACT let you activate it, so how does this make me a thief and dishonest when the company themselves gives me permission to do it, and that is exactly what they are doing, giving me permission to activate the OEM copy on another system, just as VMWare did for you... but cause you have a recording from one person, it is okay for you, I guess i will record MS if i have to do this, or do it just to see that they will allow me to, and so i have a recording of it.

Yes, i have activated OEM copies used on one computer, some time later on a new system, honestly cant recall the last time i did that, but somehow now i am a dishonest person who breaks laws and people shouldn't do business with me, or at least yourself....

Should i take some pictures of all of the paid for software sitting in my office desk right now? Want to see my Steam games collection and the retails disks in my closet?Sure i can go over to our other office and get a copy of all our Office licenses, since i guess cause i am a thief, we really only have 1 copy, the rest are pirated or by passed for activation and no one should ever trust me.

Tell me Sky, you have never broken a single law your entire life? Your the perfect human being? Never jay walked, went over the speed limit just a little, parked somewhere you shouldn't, downloaded a song or software maybe you shouldn't have et cetera, examples can go on and on and on and i am sure your guilty of many, some you probably don't even know.

At least i am being open and honest about myself and not claiming to be something i am not (not saying you are, just saying i am not) I would think people prefer honest in this day in age because it is so hard to come by.

I didn't download anything, i didn't pirate anything, i didn't crack anything and yes

Theft and copyright infringement are different things, but pending on definition, as posted, can be grouped to be the same, but if they were the same, why would courts create a new definition for it.

The biggest problem i have is the RIAA and MPAA and companies creating these out of the air numbers of how much money they lost cause of piracy, yet they cant prove it at all, no one can prove if someone would of bought something or not or if after trying it, because of trying first they then bought it and on the other side if they couldn't pirate it would they of gone and bought it, people will always be cheap and if they can get something for free, they will, others enjoy helping support companies, i don't know how many places i have donated money to via paypal to support them, i know i gave Daemon tools some money about 3 months ago cause i use their tool every day, i bought Winrar for our company because i used it all the time, yet i could of kept using it free with just a reminder popup, but again, i am so dishonest so you probably cant believe what i am saying.

So get off your moral high ground and stop labeling people you know nothing about as dishonest based on a single comment..

I do vote with my $$ everyday and i give plenty to companies who i think deserve it.

Take copy protection for example. According the US federal law we're allowed to make backup copies of any digital media. If backup copies are prevented, the company that produces the product is required to supply replacement media at "a reasonable cost". The problem is, "reasonable cost" isn't defined. So most placed term it as, "buy a new one".
    And even now, companies claim it is illegal to back up media if it involves bypassing any security features in place, so on one hand your allowed to make a backup, but if you bypass the DRM, you now broke the law.....

As for the PB analogy, they are all thief's, for a P2P site, if someone shares something, the reason is obvious, the intention is clear.

I love people who complain about software and it is too expensive, they act as if owning it is a right, they don't realize the work that goes into something, especially an OS, is $130 (OEM) really that much for the software that makes your entire computer actually run and function, i always say to these people if it is too expensive, please, go make your own OS,or go run linux, let me know how it goes! and these same people go out and buy $500 video cards to play a single game..

I love untangle, why i have spent money on esoft and Policy Manager and soon directory connector, the way our company is right now, they are not "needed" applications, but i want to get them to support UT and to make UT better at what it does for our office.
    Last edited by Mathiau; 07-15-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Actually, Mathiau the comparison from VMWare to what you're doing with Microsoft's activation center isn't the same thing.

First, you'll be hard pressed to get a human on that activation line anymore...
    Second, I didn't just talk to some random sales yutz at VMWare. I was in contact with the Vice President of Sales. He is an OFFICER of the corporation and has authority to make changes. I was trying to work with him to create a program where I could license a single CPU on a single server for SMB deployments. A program VMWare doesn't have. After days of batting things back and forth the official call from VMWare was... just install more than one trial and worry about buying the thing when you have three servers.

Tell me how that jives with activating a product when you know it's in violation of the EULA?

And I'm not perfect nor am I stating anything of the accord. I can honestly say I have never knowingly broken any laws since I became an adult. I'm not sure where I got such a deep rooted sense of justice. I don't speed... ever for example. I agreed to abide the traffic laws when I got my license, and I've done my best to live up to that obligation.

Personally however, unlike our legal system. I do believe ignorance is a defense. Most people I work with don't try to break laws. They don't get out of bed and say I'm going to be a criminal today! Most of it is a lack of education. And of course we have a healthy dose of just plain stupid laws.

IE. Here in Arizona technically speaking you can be put in a stockade for 4 hours during the heat of the day for spitting on the side walk... There is some other wacky law regarding horse theft.

Anyway yeah I let myself get way too wound up and I'm sorry. This thread was about nailing Microsoft for creating a program where they could siphon money off the large OEMs without the end user knowing about it, and creating a situation where the end user is paying to see advertisements from Microsoft.

I'm not sorry we got off track... it killed this thread but we are in off topic after all. And the discussion has been enjoyable for me, I hope it has been for everyone else as well. I'm not scared of a good political discussion, I've been known to talk about this stuff with clients!

Not one of them has fired me... this process is far easier to control in person. But, if anyone in here gets in on that... as some guys at Untangle can attest... once I get going...
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-15-2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    However, that doesn't change the fact that morally, and ethically, we're still dealing with a basic concept of theft.

That's right.
    I am a fire chief and see my share of bad things that happen when people don't obey a color at a traffic intersection (called running a red light). Doesn't necessarily make them a bad person (Mathiau's objection, although Sky never claimed that) but it is... wrong. Unethical. Illegal. And they are prosecuted.

Mathieu is right that all of us have screwed up somewhere, sometime, but that doesn't make it right to knowingly do it again, even if we are not prosecuted or called to the carpet about it.
    Lonnie, in Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, a Firefighter to the Core (i7)
    Owner - Kauffman Orchards

Then lets let bygones be bygones, it was a good conversation, probably one of the most exiciting on UT in some time..lol

I can get heated myself very easily,i have actually gotten alot better, now i write down what i want to say and then read over it about 10 times before letting it go out to the world.

Ignorance is one thing, i do find it more hard to believe these days, since so much information is available to anyone who can turn on a computer, but i guess that also explains where the saying of learn from our mistakes came about, as long as you learn from your wrong doing's and don't do it again, you have learned your lesson. I would say that often common sense will keep you straight, but as you noted sky-knight, these days some laws are just ridiculous and unfortunately it also seems far fewer people have any hint of common sense in their bodies that.

Accidents can happen, and always will happen, for me running a red light is just being careless, either the person was distracted or just didn't care, or drunk, you should come down here to Costa Rica, i get so annoyed with drivers, they knowingly run red lights, block the intersections and so on and when you tell them, they flip you the finger..lol people here can be so ignorant to the fact that they are not the only person on the road.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789