Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default 1999 Honda CBR600 F4

I posted over at the [H] so I'll share here too!

I just picked this up today, well actually it will be dropped off tomorrow.

http://www.rawrgv.com/?v=picture013.jpg

Needs engine work, but its in fantastic shape otherwise. Best case scenario it costs $200-$$300 to fix it, worst case is $1000 for a new engine; paid $2050 for it.
    Dude, Where's My Car?

Sweet - ride safe!!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Will do, I was originally looking looking at something that was like 250cc and 27-29HP. Come to find out this has almost 100HP (600cc). Whoops! That must be why the speedo says 170MPH. lol

Still gets 48MPG~ though Which was my primary goal. Other than the engine it's in beautiful condition, just minor scuffs.
    Dude, Where's My Car?

nice - you just start riding? be careful. that can be a handful.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Nah, my last bike was more for cruising, an HD XL883L.
    Dude, Where's My Car?

Fall is the time to buy a bike (or boat). I've been out of riding for a while, last years decided to get back into it. Casually looked last year, then got busy with buying a new house, etc...this past Sept started looking for a bike again. A couple of weeks ago landed on this sweet deal for a Harley FXDB.
    1450cc (88) twin cam, fuel injected, 6 spd, Screamin' Eagle performance intake and exhaust. She's a 2006 with 11k miles. Normally they go around 9000-10500 on the used market, I picked her up for 7250. eBay sale, drove 1 state away to go pick her up.

My buddy has a Yamaha 600r....quite similar to your bike. Quite a different bike to ride vs the Harley. Your Sportster had about 50 hp and lb/ft of torque, granted at lower rpms, once the tach of your Honda gets above 4500 watch out for that unexpected climb that you're not used to (since the HD flattened out at that point) So you really have to re-train your right wrist.

What's up with the engine?

Good luck with the engine overhaul, and ride safe.

Here's a pic of my big twin Dyna

To be honest I have no idea, I made the purchase assuming the worst case scenario; replace the engine. However I think (and my father agrees) that it may just be a stuck ring. i.e. the engine warms up, expands and the ring(s) do not. Resulting in blow by and thus oil smoke. It could also possibly be a gasket issue, however I wont know until i tear it out of the bike.

Also I learned to drive a Yamaha YZF R1 the day before I bought my Harley (never ridden a bike before that). It was heavily modified to the tune of it would gladly do 190MPH+ Now I did not go that fast, but that thing scared the s*** out of me. My friend was very trusting, luckily I did not kill myself on it, so this should be a nice middle ground. That and an EPA estimated 48MPG on the highway.

Back to the engine, if it's just ring(s) then I'll tear it down and maybe be out $200 after rings and new gaskets. Putting a $3500 bike at $2250 which would be pretty much bad @$$ in my book. If it's the engine it will be more like a $3500 bike at $3,000 which is not bad, but still worth it in my book. Hence why I'm taking the gamble on fixing the current engine easily with a little bit of manual labor. Either way it's a win, because the bike is in great shape otherwise. Newly reupholstered seat and all the fairings and panels are in tact, they replaced any missing ones.
    Last edited by MikeTrike; 11-04-2010 at 06:28 AM.
    Dude, Where's My Car?

Keep us updated (or me at least). While my heart goes to the conservative big twin American cruisers, I can still appreciate bikes of any category, I'm not one of those Harley riders that won't wave to a metric biker. Heck I enjoy my buddies Yammy 600...even though I'm 6'4". ( I look like a crouching ostrich on that thing...LOL )

In case you haven't been riding in a few years...one thing to REALLY get your eyes trained on...idiots driving their cages yacking..or worse...texting...on their cell phones. I hate standing at red lights now...my heart races until I can clear that light. I will actually avoid driving in downtown areas with stoplights because of that reason. Just a few days ago had some brunette chick on a gray Honda civic...I'm at the light waiting to turn left, she's fast approaching me...my eyes in my rearview...I hear her clamp on the brakes hard...look in the mirror to see the nose of her Civic diving down under the hard last second braking. It's getting bad these days.

I do my best to avoid people, at least making sure I have exit space available.

To be honest, if somebody hits me, they had better kill me. Because they might end up no longer among the living if they don't. Especially if they were yapping or texting away like idiots. It's so bad here with texting here that it's officially illegal.

Edit: You also have a very sexy looking bike.
    Last edited by MikeTrike; 11-04-2010 at 07:18 AM.
    Dude, Where's My Car?

Should have got a GSXR! My 750 will smoke your CBR any day of the week, lol!
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast